mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Blur LTc - 26 lbs reasonable?

Debating between the LTc and XC frames that are on close out right now. I'd like to have my completed build fall at 26 lbs or lower (size L frame), but while I have no worries the XC can be built below that I'm not sure if I can get there with the LTc frame.

It'd slant more toward a XC build with a 140mm Float fork, 1x10 XT drivetrain, Stans Arch Ex wheelset, and no carbon components other than the bars (a more detailed list of probable components is below). The frame is probably "too much bike" for my riding right now, but with the investment I'm making in buying and building it I want something that I can keep for a decade and that won't hold me back as my riding improves, which is why I haven't written off the LTc and gone straight to the XC.

So let me know folks, anyone out there have a similar build to what I'm thinking of? Can I get my dream bike down to 26 lbs?

Thanks!

Fork: Fox Foat 32 FIT RLC 140
    Headset: Cane Creek 40 or 110
    Bars: Easton EC90 SL
    Stem: Thompson X4
    Drivetrain: Full XT 1x10
    Brakes: BB7, 160mm rotors
    Wheelset: Stans Arch EX w/ Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs
    Tires: Nobby Nics

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It mainly depends on the tires you're running.

I have a S size LTc with a 2014 Pike 160 up front. With carbon wheels and RaceKing 2.2s, I can get the weight down to 24lbs. With real tires for AM and matching the Pike, like some HighRoller 2.35s, the bike is back up to 26.5lbs.

Considering the difference in components between our bikes, I guess 26lbs with XCish tires is expectable.

Blur LTc - 26 lbs reasonable?-dsc_0391small.jpgBlur LTc - 26 lbs reasonable?-dsc_0394small.jpg

Warrior's Society
    I had my wife's BLT2 Al at about 27-28 lbs depending on tire choice. That was with 3x9 SRAM and XT(756) brakes.

So you should be able to get down to 26 without too much trouble.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Formerly of Kent
    The sum total of my Blur LTc's parts (I'm in AFG, so it's not built up yet) is under 24lbs.

Carbon bars, rims, DT Swiss EXM 150mm fork w/15mm QR, light hubs, light drivetrain.

No compromises on parts selection, and even with heavier tires (I have Nobby Nics), still well below 25lbs.

mtbr member
    My XL alloy LT2 with a similar build is just over 29 lbs.

I have the same wheels but slightly heavier tires (Hans Dampf, tubeless with sealant), similar fork (Float 32 RL FIT 150), X9 2x10 drivetrain. Elixir 7 brakes (180/160) and Reverb dropper post.

My previous bike was an alloy Blur XC and I also rode a carbon XC for a week. My LT2 climbs just as good as the XCs but descending is in another league. I'd go for the LTc any time.
    Last edited by nielsvk; 06-27-2013 at 04:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Carbon bar, XTR cranks/shifters, XT everything else. Thomson masterpiece post, thomson stem. King hubs with one arch ex and one mavic 819. Revelation Race fork. Maxtor Ignitor tires. 27.5 lbs.

mtbr member
    I don't think it should be hard to get to 26#. You could almost get there with a light seatpost and running that 1x10 drive train. I'm running a pretty typical 2x10 XT build with dropper post and beefy tires and it's still just 28.5#. Nothing on my build is light, except maybe the XTR trail wheelset (<1700g):

"Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    A decade? If you've only got one bike, and ride it, you should likely be happy to get 3-5 years out of a purchase. The shock work alone over that hold period will likely add up to the cost of a(nother) bike. Add to that the tires, drivetrain items, broken droppers, likely wheel replacement, etc.

Also be less concerned about how much the bike weighs, the amount of money to shave 1-2 lbs off a bike could buy you hundreds of pounds of colon blow and would accomplish the same thing. Unless you have a medical condition that doesn't permit you lifting more than 26 lbs over your head or something.

[edit] In which case MTB might not be the best hobby (broken collarbones, etc).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Lam View Post
    It mainly depends on the tires you're running.

I have a S size LTc with a 2014 Pike 160 up front. With carbon wheels and RaceKing 2.2s, I can get the weight down to 24lbs. With real tires for AM and matching the Pike, like some HighRoller 2.35s, the bike is back up to 26.5lbs.
    Any initial thoughts on that Pike?

Nice build!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    A decade? If you've only got one bike, and ride it, you should likely be happy to get 3-5 years out of a purchase. The shock work alone over that hold period will likely add up to the cost of a(nother) bike. Add to that the tires, drivetrain items, broken droppers, likely wheel replacement, etc.

Also be less concerned about how much the bike weighs, the amount of money to shave 1-2 lbs off a bike could buy you hundreds of pounds of colon blow and would accomplish the same thing. Unless you have a medical condition that doesn't permit you lifting more than 26 lbs over your head or something.

[edit] In which case MTB might not be the best hobby (broken collarbones, etc).
    Man, talk about obnoxious advice.

I actually would hope to keep this bike for close to a decade when I factor in a potential warrantied frame and/or crash replacement or two. And I'm not that brutal on my bike(s) anyway - which may militate in favor of me going for the XC rather than the LTc.

And I'm not necessarily concerned about bike weight more than I am about anything else - it's just one of many factors to take into account when deciding what frame to go with. Either will be light years ahead of my 2009 Fisher hardtail, but the hardtail, even with its fairly unimpressive build, weighs in at a little over 25 lbs, and potentially going stronger at the expense of a lot more weight may not be worth it to me.

At any rate, I appreciate everyone's thoughts (not to mention pics of sweet builds) on this, and welcome any others. I may just end up getting fitted on both frames and letting that decide what I do. Though I think that given the trails I ride on most here in SoFla, the XC with a 120mm fork might be a nice middle ground for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    In short, I would call the Pike a "Mini-Boxxer".

The new charger damper with simplified oil seals has made the Pike the smoothest fork I've ever tried right out of the box, it stays high in its travel and is much stiffer than its fox rival the 34. Plus, the new 15mm Maxle is the easiest and simplest thru axle system in the world.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The components you listed so far are a very good start to a 26lb or lighter bike. The bltc is a light weight frame. It is completely possible and you can do it without too much money either. The XCc will save you about 2lbs. I weighed a Large LTC at 6lbs and people are saying the XCc is 4.45. Also fox claims a 2014 float 100mm 3.17lbs while a 140mm is 3.64lbs. Now while I wouldn't trust Fox weights, the weight differences between forks might not be so far off. So yeah, about 2lbs extra for the LTc that is otherwise built the same.

Hitting a target weight is a battle of attrition. Excel is your friend. A lot of times it may be hard to decide which part to get and lower weight may be the most compelling reason so it makes no sense to ignore it. Be careful with those Nobby Nics, depending on which ones you get, the UST ones for instance are much, much heavier.

I would strongly recommend you check out the light-bicycle rims if you are buying new rims. There is plenty of information about them on this forum and I would say the general opinion is they are a great value, ride great, and are overall fantastic. I have them and can't imagine buying anything else.