Jul 2004

Blur lt3 / tr?

mtbr member
    Er...try reading the thread?
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member

But with a Fox 34 160 is a BLT3, with revised upper link like Tallboy LT with more middle travel control, new geo .... I want one in carbon to replace my BLT2 alu.

mtbr member
    I'll throw this video in the mix (not sure if its relevant). It looks like they're testing a VPP frame with the shock mounted to the downtube. Maybe testing an old LT frame?

Cool vid either way

Nick @ Santa Cruz Bicycles - Mechanical Engineering - YouTube
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfas View Post

But with a Fox 34 160 is a BLT3, with revised upper link like Tallboy LT with more middle travel control, new geo .... I want one in carbon to replace my BLT2 alu.
    Then you'll be buying a 2014 at least, possibly 2015. SC absolutely releases new aluminum frames a year before carbon.

There is a lot of talk in the Nomad 3 speculation thread expecting 27.5" wheels with same travel or more travel on 26". That would be pretty much necessary for a Nomad if a Blur with 160mm travel were to exist, and it looks like it does..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Then you'll be buying a 2014 at least, possibly 2015. SC absolutely releases new aluminum frames a year before carbon.
    That's his plan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    are you sure?

Tallboy LTc in 2012 nearly at the same time as the Al

Highball C in 2011 probably before the Al Highball

mtbr member
    First they do alu mule frames next they made in carbon, that's with ALL previous models.

That's only a mule and they make a lot of frames to test before do the mold to make it in carbon. Seb was riding a Tallboy LT aluminium before they have it in carbon, and they put the two for selling at the same time. The BLT2 can have 140/150/160mm fork, the Nomad that can have a 160/170/180mm fork, anything new here.
    I think the frame they are testing at that video was the Tallboy LT alu.

I don't want a 27.5" wheel, for what? if they have fantastic 29" bikes like the Tallboy LT!!
    27.5" is a marketing thing "you" don't fell much difference between a 27.5" and 26" frame, more with 29" to 26"; 27.5" are for brands that don't have a great 29" bike, and that's not the case with Santa Cruz.

And yes, I also think that they are making some news in the Nomad. But we have to wait to March/April.

mtbr member
    To be honest I don't even want a 29er, but customer excitement sells bikes and if people want a 27.5, it would be wise for SC to start making one.

I do see little point in 27.5 over a 26". It makes less sense than a 29er. Hardly any change, and what do you gain? - Few wheels, few forks, few tires, more weight. Wonderful!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfas View Post
    First they do alu mule frames next they made in carbon, that's with ALL previous models.

That's only a mule and they make a lot of frames to test before do the mold to make it in carbon. Seb was riding a Tallboy LT aluminium before they have it in carbon, and they put the two for selling at the same time. The BLT2 can have 140/150/160mm fork, the Nomad that can have a 160/170/180mm fork, anything new here.
    I think the frame they are testing at that video was the Tallboy LT alu.

I don't want a 27.5" wheel, for what? if they have fantastic 29" bikes like the Tallboy LT!!
    27.5" is a marketing thing "you" don't fell much difference between a 27.5" and 26" frame, more with 29" to 26"; 27.5" are for brands that don't have a great 29" bike, and that's not the case with Santa Cruz.

And yes, I also think that they are making some news in the Nomad. But we have to wait to March/April.
    Well, I would like to see a 650b SC. Tallboy LT felt too big for me (I am 5'9") even though I own a Regular Tallboy, which I really like. I like the benefits of a 29er and don't want to have another 26er. So a longer travel 650b SC seems like the best option for me.
    650b is mostly customer driven, but I agree industry is doing its "marketing" part as well.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Tallboy carbon first, aluminum after.
    Highball carbon first, aluminum after.
    Blur TR carbon first, no aluminum model.

IMO opinion it would be silly to launch a new model in alloy at this point. I would imagine they do test ideas and geometry/layout in alloy first though.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Blur 650b.........140mm travelish?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yep, I was talking to a SC dealer in NZ, and they said a Blur 650b is coming. Likewise, they said a Yeti 650B is coming to - perhaps to the death of the 575. All interesting, we'll know soon enough.

mtbr member
    As NoahColorado said they have done some carbon firsts, and carbon is a bit of a differentiator for SC.

They also changed the geometry on the LT alu fairly recently to make it 0.5 deg slacker but left the LTc at 68.1 deg because its too expensive to change. So SC are in a position where their top of the range bike is less developed than it's cheaper sibling which doesn't make any sense. The need for a revised LTC seems therefore the most pressing. My guess would be both at the same time or LTc first

mtbr member
    You guys are right, they don't release AL early. My bad.

mtbr member
    This month I'd tested the BLTc, Tallboy LTc and the Nomadc, in my "back ward". The BLTc rear is so much stiff than Nomadc or my friend Ibis HD and it was surprises me more not the 29" vs 26" wheel, it climbs much better and track the trail better than alu rear. The Tallboy LTc I'd like a lot but not for my weekend rides, better for my vacations in north of Portugal where the trails are wider (I already had one to try there on my vacations). The Tallboy Ltc is not stiffer, well not like BLTc or Nomad, even with 142 axel, is the same than my BLT alu.

The winner was BLTc, the Nomadc is more than what I need and do with a bike.