Thread: Blur LT Sizing?

mtbr member
    May 2004

Blur LT Sizing?

Hey Gang:

I'm looking at ordering a Blur LT and I may not have the chance to Demo one before ordering it so I've got a question on sizing. I'm 5'9" with a 31 inseam and it looks like I should be in a Medium frame - does this sound about right? I'm curious what size frames are working well for your size.

Any comments or observations that might help would be appreciated.

Eric

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

More info. needed......

To give you a better idea of what size Frame & Parts (Stem/Seatpost) to go with.

- Describe what kind of rider you are, what bike you have now & setup, trails you ride and/or are looking to start riding, etc...... That will help others give you a better idea.

Everyone's a little different in what they "think" is the best, so take it all in stride.
    Are you ordering through an LBS?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    DMFT:

Thanks for the response. A bit more info....

I'm currently riding a 1999 Stumpy FSR-XC Pro in a LG (19"?) frame - I'm 5'9". I'm an old-school trail rider and am thus looking towards a trail bike this time vs. the XC style that I've been on. Also, don't charge as hard as I have in the past - so I thought the LT would offer a more plush ride for what I'm doing.

I am ordering from a LBS but they don't have any in stock so I'll be listening to their suggestions as to size, but thought I'd try to get some suggestions here to confirm.

Thanks for any comments.

Eric

mtbr member
    I am the same size at 5'9" w/31" inseam. I was also having some difficulty deciding between a M & L size Blur LT due to the short top tube lengths in the specs. I found SC typically recommends a M for our size and doesn't start recommending the L until about 5'11".
    I demo'd the M Blur LT and found the geometry to be more on the freeride side with a more upright sitting position. This position felt good & very fun for handling technical terrain. I was on a straight seatpost and 110mm stem which felt about right. You could always go with a setback seatpost &/or a longer stem if you wanted to stretch things out. The large would probably be too big for you and take away from the bikes design.

btw - I think that the Blur LT is probably the best bike in the 5" trailbike category.
    Last edited by hrdude; 03-08-2006 at 05:24 PM.

nerfherder
    Hi Ghoulwe,
    I've been riding a medium BLT since October. I'm 5'8" and have a 30in inseam. The medium feels just a tad big for me but I think that's mainly because the standover (listed as 30.2") so there's not a whole lot of room when I'm straddling the top tube. But standover is only a problem when I'm standing over. j/k

Anyways, the bike feels fantastic when I'm in the saddle. I've got a 90mm stem and a slight set back on the seatpost. It's took me a while to get used to it since I came from a racerboy style XC hardtail. But I love it and I felt like it upped my game the very first time I rode it. That's all relative, I suppose, since I didn't really have any game to begin with.

But I bet that you being an inch taller and having an extra inch in the inseam would fit this bike great.

I hope you get one soon. You know those legendary wait times from SC are killer sometimes. What color are you getting and how are you going to spec it out?

mtbr member

Go Medium

I'm currently riding a 1999 Stumpy FSR-XC Pro in a LG (19"?) frame - I'm 5'9".

I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam and I'm ordering a medium. I rode a 99 FSRXC in a medium but remember that bike was so short! The TT length was way to short for me and I never really liked it, the large probably would have fit me better. I could not imagine going to a large Blur LT though, no way. It's a little on the tall side - see head tube length. The medium should fit great

mtbr member
    May 2004

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks Guys:

Great responses - this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I'm looking to order a Black Ano in the standard "complete kit" mainly due to expenses - this looks like the best bang for the buck. I plan on upgrading the shock to RP3.

I'll probably be spending more time on this Forum when my new trail partner arrives. I'll keep you posted. Again, thanks for the info.

Eric
    Last edited by Ghoulwe; 03-09-2006 at 07:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Good advice.

I'd say Medium as others have.... You being an XCish kinda guy, you'll prob want something like a 120mm stem and layback seatpost.
    Which kit are you buying?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    DMFT:

I guess when I said "complete kit" I should have mentioned which one. Due to finances, it looks like I'm going with the X9 Complete Kit. Also Float 130 RLC Forka and Float RP3 Shock. This is a pretty cost-efficient looking set-up and will allow me to add-up as things wear. I'd love to make lots of upgrades to this set-up, but I'm stretching the budget to even get into a Santa Cruz. Any additional thoughts are welcome. Thanks for the advice.

Eric

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Nice!

That should be a sweet ride Eric.

- My only other tip would be to ask your LBS to swap the 2.35 Nevegals out for the 2.1's *if* that's what they ship. They'll weigh less, roll better, and still give you good grip all around.
    Enjoy!