Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread

314K views 1K replies 254 participants last post by  beach_boy 
#1 ·
Won't actually be 'set up' for a couple of days; but, looks really sweet out of the box! 5.68 lbs. More to come. Thanks Zach at Competitive Cyclist.

Cheers.

Attachments

See less See more
#652 ·
007 - it all depends on what you want to assume you're hitting.
If we say that with the same fork length and a slacker angle, then traveling on level ground and hitting an obstacle, the moment is actually decreased using a slacker head tube.
On a drop, assuming a flat landing, the moment is increased using a slacker head tube angle.

Moment is calculated by multiplying the lever arm (fork length) times the amount of force that is acting perpendicular to the fork legs. The moment is what is going to cause stress on the downtube. so if you had a 90 degree head tube angle, on flat ground you'd have the maximum moment. On drops you'd have the minimum.

i didn't ever read the previous posts, just wanted to interject some probably mostly useless but definitely accurate engineering information for points.

#723 ·
FYYI: I am 5'9" and had the same problem as you. I rode a friends Blur LT2 M and it felt too small. I went with a large LTc - wrong decision. The top tube felt okay but the seat tube was definitely too long. I was also riding it with a 50mm stem. I have a 31 in inseam. I recently sold the bike to a mate.

pretty bummed...without a doubt the best pedalling plush suspension I have ever ridden.

#724 ·
Thats crazy you responded, i was looking at your posts earlier and i have the same riding style as you (you said you were DH oriented, from what i remember).
I am coming from a medium Reign, i like to flick my bike around, and ride steep techy trails, which makes me lean towards a medium. But if the cockpit is too small, id have to run a longer stem, which i dont like that idea.

What about the seat tube being too long didnt you like? i dont quite see how that makes a big difference as to make you wanna sell the bike

#805 · (Edited)
Frame: Blur LTc size M
Fork: Fox 32 Talas 150
Shock: Fox RP23
Brakeset: Shimano XT
Rotors: Formula 180/160mm
Handlebars: Funn Fatboy 785/15mm rise
Stem: Raceface 60mm
Grips: ODI Rogue
Shifter: Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
Crankset: Shimano XTR
Chainguide: MRP G2 Mini Medium Angle
Seatpost: Rock Shox Reverb 125mm
Saddle: bargain-bin Felt
Wheelset: Shimano XTR Trail
Front Tire: Maxxis Minion DHF Exo 3C 2.5" (tubeless)
Rear Tire: Maxxis High Roller Tubeless 60a 2.35" (tubeless)

Not psyched on the RP23, thinking about maybe trying a CCDB. What other shocks do people recommend for the LTc? Does the LTc work better with a more linear or more progressive shock (CCDB air vs coil?)

I may also sell the 32 Talas and buy a 2012 36 Float RLC from a friend of mine...

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

#1,050 ·
Also got a Pike for my BLTc :)
Got the RC version, as i don't think i would use the RCT3 feature :rolleyes:
I'm coming from a 160mm Float 34 and expect the Blur to come even more alive with a 150mm fork.

Unfortunately i still haven't had the chance to go for a ride after the Pike was installed, but the fork works amazing in the "parking lot" test. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
Here's the 'build':

Frame: Santa Cruz Blur LT Carbon, medium
Rear Shock: Fox Float RP23
Fork: Fox 36 Talas FIT RC2, 1.5 taper
Saddle: WTB Devo Carbon
Seatpost: Crank Brothers Joplin R, 30.9
Seatpost Clamp: Santa Cruz
Handlebar: Easton MonkeyLite XC, High Rise, 685mm
Stem: Syntace F-119 MTB, 90mm
Grips: Ergon GE1
Headset: CustomTapered headset
Shift Levers: SRAM X.0, trigger
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT M771 Direct Mount
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.0, long cage
Derailleur Cables: Gore Ride-On Sealed
Brakes: Magura Marta SL Magnesium
Brake Rotors: Magura SL Drilled, 180mm F & R
Crankset: Shimano XTR Hollowtech II Crankset FC-M970, 175mm
Chain: SRAM PC-991
Pedals: Crank Brothers Mallet 3, Aluminum + Ti
Cassette: Shimano XTR Cassette CS-M970, 11-34t
Wheels: Industry Nine Enduro Flow (Stan's Flow rims)
Tires: Continental Mountain King Protection 2.4 in., converted to tubeless (Stan's)
Rear Skewer: DT Swiss RWS Thru Bolt, 10x135

Cheers.

#10 · (Edited)
So where are you heading with this build spec, there's not a great deal of difference between your LT & XC builds other than fork/ wheels, maybe spec the XC closer to it's intentions.

My XCc (24.5lb) feels like an ultra lightweight LT2a (28.2lb) to me, so I'm curious as to what you think the LT2c will be of benefit to you over a more durable alloy frame.

BTW if I post a LT2c here as my own send me abusive PM's as I don't believe that a carbon trailbike is the right decision for me. I understand that the carbon is strong in SC impact tests etc. but there's the everday durabilty issues that concerns me, the rear dropouts with no plated protection from skewers let alone a bolt up rear hub eek.

I'll suffer these on a job specific bike like the XC, but a trail rig....nah.

#13 · (Edited)
Man, that's what I call beautiful. I thought the Mojo was kinda nice for a carbon bike, but this is beyond imagination. I'm waiting my modest and regular BLT to come, and from my experience with it, I'll probably order a BLTc next year. If a carbon Nomad doesn't show up before! ;)

Hey, is that a press-in BB like those on Pivot bikes?

Congratulations, that will be a really smooth ride! :thumbsup:

#14 ·
Gripo: All good questions and comments. I'm not quite sure where it's headed either. I've got three bikes and I'm trying to differentiate them (like fly rods). The XCc should probably be pushed more towards XC. I'll see how it sorts out.

Black Ronin: The BB was wrapped in masking tape. I'll have to check tomorrow. It was represented as a custom proprietary tapered headset. I don't even know who makes it.

Almost together, except the front wheel needed a 20mm sleeve from I9. It will be here on Thurs. Raining now, but supposed to be a good Memorial Day weekend here with temperatures in the low 70's. I'll post some more pictures on Friday.

Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.