Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoccia
    In Australia SC supply a cane creek headset which consists of a standard 1.5" bottom cup and a semi integrated 44mm OD upper assembly.

Chris King have a new headset called the Inset which comes in several different configurations one of which suits the LTC. I'm sure CK also make an adaptor so a 1.125 steerer fork can be used on a 1.5". Speedgoat have the CK Inset listed on their website and are expecting stock very soon..
    So the CC headset supplied by SC Aus the XXii is only for tappered forks ie. you can't run a 1.5" lower crown race?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo
    So the CC headset supplied by SC Aus the XXii is only for tappered forks ie. you can't run a 1.5" lower crown race?
    Maybe I'm confusing the terminology but the SC Aus supplied heatset includes a standard 1.5" lower cup and 1.5" crown race.

I didn't use these since I eventually plan to use a CK Inset and didn't want to install then remove the Cane Creek crown race.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Maybe I'm confusing the terminology but the SC Aus supplied heatset includes a standard 1.5" lower cup and 1.5" crown race.

I didn't use these since I eventually plan to use a CK Inset and didn't want to install then remove the Cane Creek crown race.

I'm just doing some research now hence the Q's, maybe one day I might think that a LTc is what I need?

Normally I'd go a CK but with a LT carbon I'd be trying to go with the lowest weight headset.

No use spending all that do$h to lose 1lb (and some claimed ride stiffness) to have it eaten away by heavier than necessary components.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo
    I'm just doing some research now hence the Q's, maybe one day I might think that a LTc is what I need?

Normally I'd go a CK but with a LT carbon I'd be trying to go with the lowest weight headset.

No use spending all that do$h to lose 1lb (and some claimed ride stiffness) to have it eaten away by heavier than necessary components.

But you're not spending all that money to lose 1lb...

I don't understand why people think carbon is only for losing weight, that's just the inherent nature of the beast that is carbon.

In this case - at least - it's all about the ride quality that the carbon bike can produce, sure you lose a pound or so in the process, but if you had two identical bikes in terms of size and weight, the carbon one would absolutely annihilate it's Al counterpart.
    As it is the lighter carbon bike manages to do just that, albeit not as much as if it weighed the same and that extra lb of carbon was distributed right.

Dirt nap
    Aug 2008
    Hope have just released a HS for the Blur LTc as well which has a reducer for the bottom, ie can run 1&/8th forks with it. I have one coming, should be here early next week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Anyone using frame protection on their LT Carbons?

mtbr member
    Check this out: www.frameskin.com

mtbr member
    Incidentally, has anyone actually managed to loosen the bloody grease gun tip? Mine won't budge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I found it easier to loosen if you take the pipe off the gun and stick it in a vise to hold it. I don't like how it gets buggered up from the wrenches, but u can sand it down to take off the sharp edges after.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by pedsdoc
    Anyone using frame protection on their LT Carbons?
    I am using Bonk on all tubes. I just saved my top tube from a cleat gouge the other day. Bonk rules and the best thing is that it is invisible.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    You can just push the adapter into the end of the gun without unscrewing that piece. I am not sure if that piece is even meant to be unscrewed to be honest with you.

mtbr member
    Yes however be very careful removing the gun from the zert fitting- you can pull it out of the link or break it off if not careful.

steve

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Here's a blue BLTc with X9 AM build kit. These were taken with my iPhone so the quality is so so.

mtbr member
    that blue looks amazing. steel blue ftw

mtbr member
    Bluetiful
    I like it

mtbr member
    Great color!!! That is my next bike!!! In that color. Very Good looking bike!!! P.S What are you running for a Fork? What model RockShox is that?
    Last edited by JohnnyG 1970; 08-30-2009 at 04:45 AM.
    2011 Santa Cruz TallBoy carbon & 2013 TallBoy LT carbon - S/C All the Time !!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG 1970
    Great color!!! That is my next bike!!! In that color. Very looking bike!!! P.S What are you running for a Fork? What model RockShox is that?

2010 Revelation DA

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    A few more pics of a Blue BLTc...

mtbr member
    Beautiful display of the bike! Seems like rock solid! Amazing place to ride!

Tell me, how well does the fork go? Is that the U-Turn?

mtbr member
    Thank you for the info. I can't wait to get a Blur LT Carbon. Took my 2010 S/C Blur LT w/Fox RP-23 out for its first ride today. Amazing, The bike is that good. I had- Intense Tracer Vpp, Spec Enduro sl comp,Expert, Trek Liquid,2006 Spec Enduro Elite, This bike by far hands down blows these other bikes out of the water. Super Happy with the Blur LT!!! P.S The new Fox RP-23 2010 is great!!! Gone is that 2009- super soft, blow through the travel. Between the Frame, Fork- 2010 Fox 32 Talas RLC Fit 140mm and the shock this bike rips!!!
    2011 Santa Cruz TallBoy carbon & 2013 TallBoy LT carbon - S/C All the Time !!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    My LT1 with full XTR including wheels comes at 25.9 Ibs with heavy panaracer fire UST tires and at this moment a bit of mud.

I've just built up a BLTc with mostly the same build components with the exception on CK hubs, 819 Rims aerolite spokes and XT rotors instead of the XTR wheels. I'm also still waiting on an XTR shifter/rear brake so I've installed XT's as a temporary measure.

My weight comes in at 26.94 Ibs but this should drop a bit once I get the XTR shifter/ brakes. I'm also waiting for Shimano to introduce an XTR wheelset with a 15mm hub. If it doesn't happen soon I will probably go for the SLR's or Fulcruns. With a new wheelset and summer tires I should get below 26Ibs.

A significant area where the BLTc is heavier is in the fork/headset area. I've gone with the 150 Talas which is nearly 0.5Ib heavier than the f120's on the BLT1. I'm also waiting on a CK inset headset. As a temporary solution I've used a CK 1.5 lower cup/crown race and the SC supplied Cane Creek upper assembly. The lower cup is massive and probably weighs more than an entire 1.125 headset.

I haven't yet ridden the BLTc but plan to do so this weekend

I still haven't ridden the BLTc but I have now received the XTR brake/shifter and have changed the CK wheelset to Mavic SLR's. Weight with heavy 830 gram tires is just on 26Ibs. I should be able to save another 400 grams or so with lighter tires.

I was planning to take the bike out today but I ended up cutting a finger on the front rotor whilst trying to remove a rediculous adaptor so that I could tighten the centrelock rotors. With four stitches I'll be off the bike for a few more days.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    deleted

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I still haven't ridden the BLTc but I have now received the XTR brake/shifter and have changed the CK wheelset to Mavic SLR's. Weight with heavy 830 gram tires is just on 26Ibs. I should be able to save another 400 grams or so with lighter tires.
    Bummer about the finger, reckon you could post a photo of the machine? I placed an order for one recently and all going well I'll have it ready to roll early in September.

Aim is a 26lbs or less?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranga531
    But you're not spending all that money to lose 1lb...

I don't understand why people think carbon is only for losing weight, that's just the inherent nature of the beast that is carbon.

In this case - at least - it's all about the ride quality that the carbon bike can produce, sure you lose a pound or so in the process, but if you had two identical bikes in terms of size and weight, the carbon one would absolutely annihilate it's Al counterpart.
    As it is the lighter carbon bike manages to do just that, albeit not as much as if it weighed the same and that extra lb of carbon was distributed right.
    Yeah agree with you mate, but you've got to start with the lightest possible base weight to build a light bike. Money yes, it's always a consequence of a pursuit like this, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by brumos
    A few more pics of a Blue BLTc...
    Beautiful bike & scenery, I love the "blue steel" colour but my faith in the painted carbon staying fresh aren't there.Looks like I'll go the dull clear coated black.

BTW I see your running SLX cranks......just out of interest the SLX cranks when stripped bare of ring/bolts etc. are 5g less than the XTM760 cranks in the same condition!!!

mtbr member
    I would like to see it in mate carbon raw with the Santacruz logo!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Here is mine. Almost complete I'm just waiting on a CK inset headset which is on it's way to me from speedgoat.

Frame - Medium
    Forks -Talas 150 RLC FIT, 15mm Axle, tapered steerer
    Shock- RP23
    Groupset- Full XTR with exception of XT direct mount FD, Dual Control Setup
    Bottom Bracket- Chris King
    Wheels- Crossmax SLR
    Tyres- Panaracer XC UST, heavy at 830 grams each
    Headset - CK 1.5 lower cup and crown race, Crane creek upper assembly which is soon to be changed to CK Inset.
    Bars- Easton SL low rise
    Seatpost- Thomson Masterpiece
    Seat- Fizilk Gobi
    Stem- Ritchey 4X
    Grips- Oury
    Pedals- Candy SL's

Total weight 25.90 Ibs

Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast