Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hey guys & gals, I am thinking of install 10 speed shimano on my new Blur LTc,
    Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    I think is better than Sram XX or X0 10 speed concept .... for me

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    still waiting on the 2011 talas 150 15qr rlc for the front - so we put on an f-120 from the old superlight

wowowowowo

climbs better, jumps better, faster, wheelies waaaaaaaaay better - no pedal bob def takes the bigger hits better than my old superlight - it is so stiff

race face atlas stem am
    race face sixc carbon wide am bar
    elixir carbon brakes
    x-0 rear
    x-9 shifters
    xt front
    old xt cranks
    spec tubeless purgatory in front captain in back
    joplin 4
    crossmax st 2010
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-ssc_0220.jpg  

Is it just the photo, or is your frame matte black?

sick rig Crusty,

Porch
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    What do you think to the new Float 36 RLCs? Had them lowered down to 140mm, taking them out tomorrow so will report back on the riding after.... Bike weighs in at ~26.7lbs with flow rims, nevegal tires and 36s, hoping this should be a true all-mountain shredder.
    BTW, How do I display images on here? Tried to embed the links of my google picassa images but didn't work....

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

figured it out...

the clue is in the 'upload images' button.... doh!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-img_0222.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-img_0223.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-img_0224.jpg  

philcruz
    THIS IS MY NEW BUILD LTC
    forks fox talas 32 150mm
    rp23 shock
    crank brothers iodine wheels
    thomas elite seat post
    sdg saddle
    sram redwin xo rear mech
    xo carbon shifters
    full teflon jagwire cables
    yeti loc on grips
    monkey carbon bars
    chromag stem
    avid elixer brakes
    nevagal tubeless tires
    xt frame fix front mech
    carbon noir chainset
    v12 pedals
    991 chain
    sram redwin cassette
    cane headset

ive been really struggling trying to find best setting for forks and shock its a large frame and im 6ft 4 and weigh 228 lb all packed up ready to go im running it at 180psi at moment and on most trails getting full lock at some point but im also bashing large chainring just ordered new rings and gamut bash guard gone from a 22 inner to 24 steel and 32 middle to a 36 with bash guard im hoping this cures it and can tighten chain up to stop it slapping as much in middle ring,any one else had this problem?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-dsc00446_750x580.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Im thinking about making the BLT-C my pedally rig. Will be calling the local shop for pricing soon. X.0 AM build kit, dropper seatpost, no idea about the fork yet, Fox 36 is over kill, Fox 32 is bunk. Probably RS Revelation is going to win out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by humdinger
    dang thats a good lookin ride. first Fox fork Ive seen with the Kashima coating on the uppers. the graphics on those new Fox's are hideous but that bike is sick lookin

EIC
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY
    Im thinking about making the BLT-C my pedally rig. Will be calling the local shop for pricing soon. X.0 AM build kit, dropper seatpost, no idea about the fork yet, Fox 36 is over kill, Fox 32 is bunk. Probably RS Revelation is going to win out.
    Care to expand on that? I was planning on the 32 TALAS in 150 mm.

EIC
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518
    dang thats a good lookin ride. first Fox fork Ive seen with the Kashima coating on the uppers. the graphics on those new Fox's are hideous but that bike is sick lookin
    Ditto. Great looking ride. And I also don't like the new Fox graphics. The old ones were awesome. If it ain't broke . . .

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sweet looking bike, probably the sickest BLTC so far. Looks good with the white fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks guys, I too was a little undecided about the new decals on the 2011 forks but hey the funtion seems to blow the 2010 versions into touch.
    Punky: I'm curious about your comments too... Firstly, I don't know if you've ridden the BLTc yet but most will agree that the stiffness of the frame is so phenomenal that riding hard will make the Revelations feel very noodley and let down the frame. I'm speaking as one who just sold his 2010 Rev Team maxle lites to get these Float 36s. Don't get me wrong, the Rev's were a great XC fork, and capable of some light AM, but I felt they were too flexy for this quality of AM frame. Personally, IMHO, I think 150mm is too far for a 32mm fork to take, you really notice the difference back to back with a 36mm fork. The 2011 Float 36 RLCs are only 0.7lbs heavier but WAY stiffer, and with them dropped to 140, the A2C is nigh on the same as the Revs. As For saying Fox 32s are bunk? Huh? I run F120s on my Carbide and they are superb. Again, IMHO, having ridden both the Fox float 140s, Talas, and the Revs, there's little to choose between them. Personally I felt the Talas wasn't great, I still don't think they've sorted the cartridge problems yet, but my mate's just got the 2011 Talas 36 and early reports say the move to the 2-stage travel adjust instead of three, may have them working great this year.
    For my 2c, if you want a 'pedally AM rig', and not a long-travel XC, the Float 36s have to win. As you can see, my LTc's weighing in at under 27lbs with a pretty burly build, and only 27.5 with the Gravity Dropper....
    Just my opinions though so hey enjoy the design and building of the new rig either way, the BLTc's a superb choice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks guys, I too was a little undecided about the new decals on the 2011 forks the BLTc's a superb choice.
    I am clearly alone in thinking the new decals look rad. I am thinking 2011 Van 36s on a black/gold carbon nomad would be brilliant.

Also agree entirely about the stiffness, 32s with a through axle are really good but you just cant beat a 36 for stiffness.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    very nice build humdinger. Is that a 1 1/8 fork? or a taper fork?

gmk
    angels get bald too

woooow
    awesome ride dude !

how is the 2011 36 talas vs. the old one ?
    what kind o tuning has your monarch, i will try the e tune
    i think recommended is d tune for thr blut lt

thx

"Show your bike some love and it will show the love back."
    Eric, niner bikes

the most important vehicle is a 29er bicycle

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The new decals are growing on me. As for the ride, took them out for a blast this morning and they are superb; stiff, plush, quite linear, and more importantly the travel dropped to 140 makes the geometry perfect.
    My Float 36s are 1 1/8" with a C/C reducer race to run it with the tapered headset. IMHO this bike's ended my search for a near do-it-all bike. Plus, can easily drop it to under 26lbs by swapping the wheels for my Pro2/355s.
    Happy man :0)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Humdinger, nice ride but my ass is sore just looking at that saddle. Are those R1's or RX's you've got mounted... how are you liking them? Any issues?

Also, it's interesting to see you running the right lever to the front wheel.

mtbr member
    I gotta agree with hundinger here. Going from Revs to 36's on my BLTc really turned the bike into a weapon. The forks now feel much better matched with the frame, with massive overall stiffness. If you can live with the slight added weight (mine's still only a little over 28 lbs depending on tyres, I highly recommend the pairing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    brumos, the saddles now gone, bit uncomfy for sure )
    Got a Gobi on there now and much happier... As for the brakes, they're the Formula The One MY10s, if you haven't got these brakes, BUY THEM! I've got Rx's/R1s on my other bikes which are great, especially the R1s, but the MY10's are WAY WAY WAY better than the R1s in power, feel, modulation, and only slightly heavier.
    Gonna try the new Hope Pro2 Straight Pull/Stans 355 wheels next weekend as they feel plenty stiff compared to the old pro2 std hubs, and would save me another 1/2lb over the Stans....
    Anyone got any ideas to replace the AM wheels? as the rear Chris King hub has had a little bit of play since new and cannot rectify it for the life of me.... Anyone running American Classics or I9s?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    if budget is no concern. lace some dt240's with edge am !!!

Or wait for the 20mm haven to come out

21mm internal rim width tubeless compatiable and fairly light at 1600g or so.

Or you can risk it and run a set of alpines/ztr hubs but with burlier spokes to stiffen it up a little.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    humdinger. on my LTc i'm running hope pro2 hubs laced to mavic en521, i know the en521 is not their top rim but man they are sweet. i have run them pretty good for over a year now and that are still round and true as they day i built them even with this 260lbs riding on them. worth a look atleast. if i where to rebiuld them i think i would get the sun equalizer 27's

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Sadly money is an object (

I've been contemplating either Stans ZTR hubs on Flows, or DT-240s on Flows, but the DT's are super-expensive! As for AC hubs, have no experience with them and the 20mm front hub seems heavy...?

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

wheels for the humdinger

I second the comment above, the 20mm Havens are looking like they could be a solid choice. The (AL) Haven's, among many other things, are on my wish list.

Otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate to lace up another set of Hadley Hubs to DT 5.1D rims. I'm not sure what DT calls these rims now, but they are a good width and light and strong. Good rims, but DT's website blows.

Porch
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

gmk
    angels get bald too
    Sadly money is an object (

I've been contemplating either Stans ZTR hubs on Flows, or DT-240s on Flows, but the DT's are super-expensive! As for AC hubs, have no experience with them and the 20mm front hub seems heavy...?

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
    take hope pro II with ztr flow
    i love them

Eric, niner bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    They're great wheels gmk, I actually had a pair but at ~1900g they're a bit heavy. Great value wheels but the Easton Haven 20mm's are gonna take some beating at ~1650g. That kinda weight saving's worth having, but a lot more $$$ to buy :0(
    anyone know a good price on the 20mm's yet? If they're out yet...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I am going to buy myself a Blur LTc and wondered what sort of spec would see me in a mid 25lbs build?

Currently i am planning on changing my LT2 frame for a LTc and it will see most of these parts:

2010 RS Revelation team air u-turn,
    Easton EC90 SL monkey bars low rise,
    Easton EA90 Stem,
    Easton EA90 seat post,
    Fizik Gobi Kium saddle,
    X0 Rear mech,
    XT front mech,
    X0 Shifters,
    PG-990 sram cassette,
    Noir crank,
    Hope Pro3 SP AM4 wheels with ZTR flow rims,
    Maxxis high roller LUST 2.35 front tyre,
    Maxxis Ignitor LUST 2.35 rear tyre.

I plan on fitting some Formula brakes, R1's or The One or possibly some of the new 2011 ones which will save some weight on the current hope brakes i run. What other areas would people look to save a fair bit of weight in? Currently the LT2 weighs in at 29lbs so i need to save a fair bit of weight on the LTc build.

I dont want to drop to a 2x10 setup or anything like that, quite happy running the gearing i currently do.

To help i weight 175lbs ready to ride and dont consider myself to be a really hard rider by any means.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Firstly, thanks for the link re the Easton wheels Porsch...

Rick, having just tampered with my LTc with three different forks and numerous builds, I would say you wouldn't be far off with the build you've got there. It'll be tougher if you're in a large frame, medium should be easy to get to 25lbs.

As for spec, my 2c worth:
    - Go with the RS Rev Team dual air; saves another 0.2lbs, and the bike rides perfect at 150 with the revs.
    - Go with a carbon post... lighter for sure and the EA90's not cheap.
    - XTR cranks slightly lighter than Noir (have both and weighed both, ~ 30g in it...
    - Wheels and tires are HEAVY. The Pro2 SP AM4 are 2KG!! I'm having the same dilemma about wheels, the Easton Haven are 1650g and every bit as tough as the Hope's, saving you about 3/4lb...
    - Tires, the Maxxis are great tires but very heavy, a Kenda Nevegal kevlar or Specialized Eskar will save you even more weight.
    If you want lightweight, Maxxis are rarely the best choice. Great tires but not light.

As for brakes, I have the Rx, R1s and The One MY10's and my choice would undoubtedly be the MY10s, they are superb, and only ever so slightly heavier than the R1s. The R1s are good but by comparison feel every bit a lightweight XC brake and not an AM stopper....

Also, it may sound a bit weight-weenie but foam grips are a stealth way to save weight and are cheap with very comfy feel...

As a yardstick, my LTc with the following spec (as per pics above, except for wheels) weighs in at 26lbs, and that's with a set of Float 36s!

LTc frame, large
    RS Monarch shock
    2011 Kashima Fox Float 36 RLC (Lowered to 140mm)
    Cane Creek XIIX headset
    Thomson X4 stem (90x0)
    Easton monkeylite low-rise bars
    X0 shifters
    X0 rear mech
    XT front mech
    XTR chainset
    GUB ceramic BB
    XTR chain
    SRAM PG-990 cassette
    Hope Pro 2 Straight Pull on Stans 355
    Kenda Nevegal kevlar 2.35
    Thomson Elite layback post
    Fizik Gobi saddle
    Formula The One MY10 brakes (180mm rotors F&R)

Anyways, just my thoughts... enjoy the build :O)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for that info, its exactly what i was looking for.

What seatpost would you advise?
    Also my wheel set will need to have a 20mm through axle front hub.
    Finally do you run tubeless on your 355 rims? I run my flows tubeless.

I currently have everything off that list on my LT2 but am just looking at ways to drop the weight down to what i want. If i can drop to around what i want then i will sell my Anthem X and my LT2 and build the LTc. LTc would be the ideal compromise rather than having the 2 bikes i currently own.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    ... Tires, the Maxxis are great tires but very heavy, a Kenda Nevegal kevlar or Specialized Eskar will save you even more weight.
    If you want lightweight, Maxxis are rarely the best choice. Great tires but not light.

Are you kidding?
    I couldn't disagree more with that statement. Check their respective websites for the numbers.

Nevegals are heavy. Great tire in the wet but that's it.
    The 2.35 STICK-E compound is 763gm

Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 690gm
    Maxxis Crossmark 2.25 640gm
    Maxxis Larsen TT 2.35 620gm
    Maxxis Advantage 2.1 550gm

and the lightest of them all Maxxis Asep 2.25 535gm
    The 2.1 is only 475gm!

I run the nevegals in the early spring and fall when it's wet/slippery on the rear and swap them out for a 2.1 Advantage and 2.35 Larsen. The front remains the same all year with the 2.35 Ignitor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Brumos. Not wanting to disagree but speaking from owning and weighing both the Larsen and the Ignitor LUSTs mentioned, the Maxxis website is VERY optimistic indeed. From my digital scales, weights are as follows:
    Ignitor LUST 2.35 - 790g
    Hi-roller LUST 2.35 - 830g
    Kenda Nevegal 2.35 (non stick-e) - 630g
    as for the other lightweight Maxxis tires, they're skinny walled XC tires and this chap's building an AM LTc? Personally, IMHO, I never go for skinny 'light AM' tires such as ardents or Aspens as modest weight gains are outweighed by how easy they get shredded in your first rock garden. The Nev's are 100g+ lighter than the LUST Ignitors and as we agree a great tire. I do also agree about the Larsen, a SUPERB hard-pack summer tire which is also quite light.

Rick

IMO The cockpit is short on the LTc as on the LT2 so I run a Thomson layback and that goes v well.
    I run both my 355s and my CK Flows tubeless, another superb way to save weight is to run non-UST tires tubeless as USTs are much heavier and the Stans rims seal the non-USTs a treat!
    If you're looking to sell your Anthem X, I'd certainly be interested... I can get Formula brakes VERY cheaply over here if u wanna work something out? PM me with some details of the Anthem X if ur interested.

mtbr member
    May 2009

My LTc

Finally after waiting a month and a half, my fork came in. So I was able to build my bike:

Large LTc frame w/ RP23 shock.
    2011 Fox 32 TALAS RLC 150 FIT 1.5 taper
    Cane Creek XIIX headset
    Mavic Crossmax ST wheelset
    Kenda Nevegal DTC Tires 2.35 front, 2.1 rear
    XT crankset
    XT front derailler
    XO rear der.-red
    XO shifters-red
    PG990 cassette-red
    PC991 chain
    Avid Elixer CR brakes, w/ carbon levers
    Thomson seatpost and X4 stem 90mm, 10 degree
    Specialized Phenom Gel Saddle
    Easton Monkeylite XC bar
    Lizard Skins Moab grips w/ red locks.
    Love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-dscn3870.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-dscn3876.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-dscn3877.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-dscn3872.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-dscn3875.jpg  

EIC
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Sick build, neblackb! We have a lot of overlap on our build lists. Out of curiosity, did you ever consider going with a 36 TALAS instead of the 32? I am on the fence about that one myself. The weight penalty has me a tad worried but the extra stiffness would be awesome.

Also, what does the "ne" in your handle stand for?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nice build.
    IMHO if u want a light as possible light-AM bike then 32 forks will do a great job. But if u want a fork which fully does justice to the phenomenally stiff frame and make it an AM shredder, then it's 36 all the way. I don't notice the extra ~0.75lbs but the stiffness difference is significant.
    But hey, it's personal preference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Main concern is weight. I guess 10mm between 150mm and 160mm does not make much different.

gmk
    angels get bald too
    They're great wheels gmk, I actually had a pair but at ~1900g they're a bit heavy. Great value wheels but the Easton Haven 20mm's are gonna take some beating at ~1650g. That kinda weight saving's worth having, but a lot more $$$ to buy :0(
    anyone know a good price on the 20mm's yet? If they're out yet...
    what?
    not really
    mine weight about ~1800g
    with sapim cx spoke ~ 1700g

the haven look really nice but they are expensive
    and they are only 26mm width

a question to your shock:
    what kind of tune do you have? tune d for the monarch?
    thx

Eric, niner bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    cctuan

Like I said in last post, it's really not about the simple extra 10mm travel, as you can see from my build, I've actually lowered mine to 140mm. It's all about how the bike rides, thus why I don't skimp on wheels and tires because these directly affect the way the bike rides as an AM rig. The 36 is SO much stiffer than the 32, that it rides like a completely different beast, and because I like to ride more than light AM, the stiffness pays dividends over the 32 predecessor. Cornering, drop-off support and all around robustness are very different.
    In terms of weight, if you are designing an LTc to be as light as possible then hey like I said, go 32. But if you're happy to take an extra 3/4 lb (which I cannot notice when riding the two forks back to back) then the bike takes on new capabilities. Apart from which, my Large LTc's under 27lbs with burly wheels AND 36s... Is this heavy?

Horses for courses though ultimately.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I think the 2011 fox 32 is stiffer than the 2010, which helps, but for sure you will feel a difference going with a 36. I went with a 32, because I don't take drops that often, and wanted my bike a little more xcish. The bike feels much stiffer than anything I have ridden though. I love it. Oh, EIC the NE are just initials in my name.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Because on the earlier post, someone said 160mm is overkill for LTc, therefore I pickup Talas 32 150MM. If the fact is as what you described, I might want to change to 36 on my new LTc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by EIC
    Love the 150mm, strongly dislike the 15mm axle on the fork. It serves no purpose other than replacing a 9mm qr axle.

I've seen RS Revelations be put through more than anything closely resembling Trail/AM and they hold up fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Nice build.
    IMHO if u want a light as possible light-AM bike then 32 forks will do a great job. But if u want a fork which fully does justice to the phenomenally stiff frame and make it an AM shredder, then it's 36 all the way. I don't notice the extra ~0.75lbs but the stiffness difference is significant.
    But hey, it's personal preference.
    Can someone define light AM for me? I'm also in the throes of putting together a BLTc build, and I want some insight into the perceived limitations of 32mm forks. Cheers.

EIC
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY
    Love the 150mm, strongly dislike the 15mm axle on the fork. It serves no purpose other than replacing a 9mm qr axle.

I've seen RS Revelations be put through more than anything closely resembling Trail/AM and they hold up fine.
    Just to clarify: Is the difference in the 32 and 36 at the hub more than just the diameter in the axle? In other words, does the different ratchet mechanism make a difference between the two as far as stiffness is concerned?

The reason I ask is because 15mm is closer to 20mm than it is to 9mm. So unless the ratchet mechanism that connects the hub to the fork is a big factor, I don't understand why the 15mm isn't much better than the 9mm.

If so, then the stiffness difference between the 32 and 36 TALAS forks is due to three factors:

1) The increased diameter of the stanchions (32 vs. 36mm)
    2) The increased diameter of the axle (15 vs. 20 mm)
    3) The mechanism that connects the hub to the fork

From Fox's site, it looks like the difference is 381 grams or 0.84 lbs. Is the stiffness difference so dramatic that it justifies almost a pound of increased bike weight?

EIC
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Edit: Double post.
    Last edited by EIC; 06-26-2010 at 12:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    It's numerous factor that make the 36 better for my style of riding. I found the revelation 150 a superb fork but when really going hard on the downhill sections the fork struggled a little to keep up, and most importantly when going round berms or hard corners, the 32mm fork flexed noticably, yet the frame doesn't flex at all. So when doing the same routes on the 36, the frame and fork seem perfectly matched, going round corners on rails and coping with anything the downhill can throw at it (and me!)
    Other than that, there's the geometry difference, the 32 will leave a neutral HA, and the lowered 36 I've got a little more relaxed, which again for me means it still climbs very well, but goes down hill MUCH better.
    It's absolutely a personal choice, if you do just general trail/XC then go 32 for sure, the extra weight's not worth it. But if you do anything a little more aggressive (and I'm not a freerider on a light bike before anyone thinks that!), then 36 all the way. The difference btw is less than 0.86lbs, my 36s came in at 4.46lbs including axle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks humdinger, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. So adjusting the travel down in 10mm increments on the Float is something I can do at home, or does it require a workshop with special tools?

How do you find the stiction on that 36? Does the Kashima make as much difference as they claim?

The prospect of the new Rev with 150/120 settings is attractive, but having less moving parts has to be a good thing as far as reliability is concerned (eg Float with reduced travel versus TALAS or RS adjustable system).

Has anyone here tried the 2011 36 TALAS yet?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hi Max,

The spacers can be put in at home, piece of cake. The stiction's been hardly noticeable as yet, I've only put about 50+miles on them yet but so far so good, the Kashima's working well. I'd want to bed them in more to make a final judgement....
    My riding buddy runs the 2011 Talas and also loves it, although he has had to drain of air and refill already due to the fork staying down, but compared to the old 3-stage travel settings, it seems MUCH improved.

I like the idea of the travel adjustability but to be honest I found I never used it and just want one good all round travel setting which I don't have to faff around with and for me the lowered F36 is great.

EIC
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It's numerous factor that make the 36 better for my style of riding. I found the revelation 150 a superb fork but when really going hard on the downhill sections the fork struggled a little to keep up, and most importantly when going round berms or hard corners, the 32mm fork flexed noticably, yet the frame doesn't flex at all. So when doing the same routes on the 36, the frame and fork seem perfectly matched, going round corners on rails and coping with anything the downhill can throw at it (and me!)
    Other than that, there's the geometry difference, the 32 will leave a neutral HA, and the lowered 36 I've got a little more relaxed, which again for me means it still climbs very well, but goes down hill MUCH better.
    It's absolutely a personal choice, if you do just general trail/XC then go 32 for sure, the extra weight's not worth it. But if you do anything a little more aggressive (and I'm not a freerider on a light bike before anyone thinks that!), then 36 all the way. The difference btw is less than 0.86lbs, my 36s came in at 4.46lbs including axle.
    Thanks for this. I think it all comes down to how you define one style of riding versus another. It would be nice if we'd hit some common trails so I had a sense of what you call general trail/XC versus more aggressive. Any chance you've hit any trails in Sedona or Moab or San Diego?

EIC
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Are you talking about the Float or TALAS?

From the Fox website:

32 TALAS 150: 3.81 lb / 1.73 kg

36 TALAS 160: 4.65 lb / 2.11 kg

4.65 - 3.81 = 0.84 lbs.

That's quite a bit IMO, unless the stiffness difference is dramatic. It is hard for me to imagine being as happy with the Float as I would be with the adjustable travel on the TALAS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Can anyone tell me what headset i need. Looking for a Cane Creek one so i can run a standard 1 1/8th none taper fork but so in the future i only need to change the lower race if i fit a taper fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Headset now sorted, ordered a LTc frame and i got a free RP23 upgrade and a Cane Creek taper headset with a reducing lower race included in the price so i can run my none taper fork. Cannot wait to get it now and start the build.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    @m_driscoll : awesome!!

Sorry to hijack this thread but has anyone tried clear tapes to protect your frames? Especially the carbon ones?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bicycle-Frame-MT...item43a046b067

Anyone tried something similar?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    OK, so I'm finally homing in on my BLTc build. Much fun though a Nomadc looks, I have a sudden hankering to do the TransRockies next year and I think the Blur would be a lot more suited to endurance racing.

Here's where I am with it - this is based largely on the standard X0 AM build kit on the SCB website, and involves on-selling the forks and wheels once the new bits are available:

Frame: BLTc black XL
    Fork: RS Revelation WC taper 20mm
    HS: King
    Seatpost: RS Reverb 380mm
    Saddle: WTB Devo
    Stem: Thomson
    Bars: Easton Haven carbon
    Wheels: Easton Haven carbon
    Brakes: Formula The One 180/160
    Chainset: XO 26/39
    Front mech: X0 / XT
    Rear mech: X0
    Shifters: X0 trigger
    Pedals: XTR Trail SPD
    Cassette: X0 11-36
    Chain: SRAM
    Tyres: Conti RQ 2.2 UST
    Grips: Peaty lock-on

I've been trying to figure out a weight, which I've done in a slightly convoluted fashion using the Nomadc bike builder then making the necessary substitutions:

Nomadc XTR AM with 36 Float RLC = 27.31lb = 12.41kg

Delete list:

Nomadc frame = 2770
    Fox 36 Float RLC = 2070
    Stock wheelset = 1950
    Thomson seatpost = 202
    High Roller 2.35 wire = 1560
    2 Maxxis tubes = 320

Add list:

Blur LTc frame = 2580
    RS Revelation WC = 1490
    Haven carbon wheelset = 1450
    RS Reverb seatpost = 515
    Conti RQ 2.2 UST = 1700
    XTR Trail SPD = 400?

= 11673g = 25.68lb, minus whatever the weight saving is of X0 versus XTR, plus the weight difference between an XL frame and whatever they use for their stated weights. Even if some of the quoted weights are slightly optimistic it should still come out pretty light, and I'm damned if I can see anything on there that's going to break. Looks like a pretty trailworthy setup unless I've missed something?

By ditching the dropper post and fitting lighter tyres (say Rocket Ron 2.25 @ 1380g pp) a cross country weight of 11kg flat = 24.2lb looks achievable!

Before you ask, no I have no intention of paying $2300 for the wheels, and with the state of the NZ dollar against the greenback at the moment the price of this build doesn't look quite as horrific as it might to some of you guys in the US.....

Now all I have to do is wait for them to get everything in stock..............................

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    After months of reading this thread, I finally pulled the trigger. Got a little box in the mail from competitive cyclist yesterday...

Frame; Santa Cruz Blur LT Carbon Black Medium
    Rear Shock; Fox RP23
    Fork; 2011 Fox 150 RLC Talas 15QR
    Brakes; Formula R1 w 180mm two piece rotors
    Crank; The hive SS w/ bottom bracket
    Shifter; SRAM X.O. Trigger rear red
    Cassette; SRAM PG-990 | Steel | 11-34 - red
    Rear Derailleur; 2009 SRAM X.0 Rear Derailleur medium - red
    Chain; KMC X9SL Gold
    Wheelset; Mavic Crossmax ST 15QR
    Tires; Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25
    Pedal; Candy 2ti white
    Headset; Cane Creek 110 ZS tapered red
    Stem; Easton EA90 white 90mm
    Handlebar; Easton Monkeylite XC | Black | Carbon | Low Rise
    Grip; ESI Chunky - white
    Seatpost; Kind shock i900
    Seatclamp; Salsa lip lock - red
    Saddle; 2010 WTB Devo SLT Saddle white/red

Target was light tough trail bike. Weight tbc, hopefully 11kg although the seatpost might just push it over.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-35815_10150219092505521_606045520_13202037_4290239_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Very Nice,

How tall are you? I rode a medium a few weeks ago and it seemed a little small.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty4x
    Very Nice,

How tall are you? I rode a medium a few weeks ago and it seemed a little small.
    I have just traded a medium LTa for a LTc in Large and the large felt a lot nicer on the test ride. I had the saddle set quite far back on the medium to get a nice riding position and it made the front very light whenever sat in the saddle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by philcruz
    THIS IS MY NEW BUILD LTC
    forks fox talas 32 150mm
    rp23 shock
    crank brothers iodine wheels
    thomas elite seat post
    sdg saddle
    sram redwin xo rear mech
    xo carbon shifters
    full teflon jagwire cables
    yeti loc on grips
    monkey carbon bars
    chromag stem
    avid elixer brakes
    nevagal tubeless tires
    xt frame fix front mech
    carbon noir chainset
    v12 pedals
    991 chain
    sram redwin cassette
    cane headset

ive been really struggling trying to find best setting for forks and shock its a large frame and im 6ft 4 and weigh 228 lb all packed up ready to go im running it at 180psi at moment and on most trails getting full lock at some point but im also bashing large chainring just ordered new rings and gamut bash guard gone from a 22 inner to 24 steel and 32 middle to a 36 with bash guard im hoping this cures it and can tighten chain up to stop it slapping as much in middle ring,any one else had this problem?
    ey bro, how's your cb iodine? i'm also planning to buy those beauty but heard so much horror stories about them.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I collected my LTc frame at the start of the week. Just waiting for some new bits to arrive along with a frame wrap kit and then it will be full steam ahead with the build.

Spec is as follows:

Frame; Santa Cruz Blur LT Carbon Black Large,
    Rear Shock; Fox RP23,
    Fork; 2010 RS Revelation Team air u-turn Maxle w 1 1/8th steer,
    Brakes; Formula The Ones MY10 w 180mm front and 160mm rear rotors + Matchmaker clamps,
    Crank; Truvativ redwin Noir chainset and SS Hope bottom bracket,
    Shifter; SRAM X.O. Triggers in red
    Cassette; SRAM PG-990 | Steel | 11-36 - redwin
    Rear Derailleur; 2009 SRAM X.0 Rear Derailleur Long - redwin
    Front Derailleur; XT direct mount,
    Wheelset; DT Swiss 240 hubs, crest rims, supercomp black spokes, alloy nipples, Stans yellow rim tape,
    Tires; Schwalbe Nobby Nic snakeskin 2.25,
    Headset; Cane Creek 110 ZS tapered w reducing lower,
    Stem; Thompson X4 90mm 0 rise stem,
    Handlebar; Easton EC90 Monkeylite riser SL,
    Grip; Lizard skin peaty lock on,
    Seatpost; EC90 CNT Zero MTB,
    Seatclamp; Santa Cruz,
    Saddle; Fizik Gobi XM Kium black/red.

Aiming for 25lbs ish.

Pic of the frame:

And how it stands at the moment:

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    @ gghlyon - looks sweet! How did you find the pricing from Competitive Cyclist? Did you just create that build from scratch using their bike builder, or is it cheaper to base on the 2010 X0 AM build on the SCB website then make substitutions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    @ rusty, I'm 5'9" and probably wouldn't want to be much taller on the medium, as you can see the seat is back as is with the 90mm stem off the front.

@ Max, I did look at other customising websites (although none gives you the freedom of the compcyc one) and got a quote from an lbs too. In the end they were still 'competitive' (haha). I couldn't exactly spec all the parts i wanted on their builder so i used this as a starting point then finished it off with them via email. Good customer service and engineering too. They didn't get everything right, but quick to offer refunds for late delivery etc. so i'm happy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    All built up and ready to go:

gmk
    angels get bald too

s w e e t !!

Eric, niner bikes

philcruz
    heres the new gamut bash ring and new ring configaration works a treat shortned chain get no slap at all now and as for wheels i had these on my santa cruz blur xc so been running then since xmas and im a big heavy guy and they have been brillant even on the ruffest dh courses i cant fault them oh and put some new blue plates and pointed grippers on my pedals grip brilliant just changing front tire next got nevagals on but on soft sand fronts all over thinking about putting a mountain king on from got them on my trek remedy and its solid through corners what you lot think?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

philcruz
    Quote Originally Posted by cctuan
    Hey guys & gals, I am thinking of install 10 speed shimano on my new Blur LTc,
    Any thoughts?

i was thinking same but there smallest ring kept catching it all depends what your gona use it for the ltc is supposed to be used for ruff stuff i think the ten speed is alot bette suited to xc riding and odd trail center

philcruz
    Quote Originally Posted by EIC
    ive got these on my new rig think there brilliant light and really quick turning also got talas 36 on my trek remedy and cant fault them either it down to what you find comfatable yourself

mtbr member
    Question- is a 120 mm fork on a LT too little travel?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The geometry shall need minimum 140mm

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Yes I tried an f120 before my 150 came in and I thought it was ok until I rode the 150
    Now I only run the 120 on extreme steep climbs
    The head angle feels wired otherwise

Bring on the Funk!
    Mar 2007
    Good match for the Blur XC carbon but not the LTc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    A general rule of thumb with full sus is to have at least the same amount of travel front and back, if not a little more on the front in order to comply with the specifications of the geometry and have the best possible position and feel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Blur Ltc Setup

This is my Blur setup, almost ready......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-img024.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-img029.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-img028.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-img025.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    This thread is dying. Let's revive it. I love my LTc. It is awesome. Let's see more of them.

Anyone try or have problems with fitting a chainguide (bb mounted) in a 1x9 set up?
    Particularly gamut?

gmk
    angels get bald too
    Quote Originally Posted by MARCOS76

lovely

better pics ! !

36 new talas (OEM), no the 32 new talas
    i like the
    STANCHIONS NEW Kashima Coat

Eric, niner bikes

philcruz
    ive fitted a gamut crash ring and first ride out it cracked all way across they sent it back 3 weeks ago not heard owt yet so mine is off road im gutted as for stronger than alloy what a load of sh*t look good and thats about it,

mtbr member

Blur LT carbon blue large rohloff

here is mine with all recycled parts and in need of some cable tidying up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-img_4179.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-img_4180.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-img_4181.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-img_4185.jpg  

don't believe everything you think.

May 2008
    nicely built.

mtbr member
    Nicely sold.
    don't believe everything you think.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    2011 LTc's will be White and Matte Carbon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    why BLUR LTC and NOMAD C have almost the same frame weight on SC WEB site?HOW is the advantage to have a Blur LTC over a Nomad C?????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper
    oooh really? whered you see this? i am not a huge fan of that blue color and i love the white NomadC's

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Do you have any idea when the cut-off point between "2010" and "2011" colours will be? Do SCB actually follow the notion of product years corresponding to calendar years?

I'm still trying to get hold of a black XL frame, and nobody can even give me a due date. Might be tempted to hang on for a white one if they're not far away...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518
    oooh really? whered you see this? i am not a huge fan of that blue color and i love the white NomadC's
    UK distributors price list on the website.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Blur from Poland

MassiveAttack
    Quote Originally Posted by MARCOS76
    Sweet ride! What's the part list if you dont mind me asking?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thats interesting then!

Here is a link to the pdf:
    http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/pric..._completes.pdf

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    very interesting indeed!

mtbr member
    May 2005

BLTc4

Here's my short shocked XC version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-blurltc4_4294.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Love the Rohloff!

How do you brake with your left hand (can't see any brake lever)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

My Blur LTc

Here's the 'build':

Frame: Santa Cruz Blur LT Carbon, small
    Rear Shock: Fox Float RP23 Boost Valve
    Fork: Fox 32 Talas FIT
    Seatpost: KS Adjustable
    Handlebar: Easton MonkeyLite XC
    Grips: Odi
    Headset: Cane Creek
    Shifter: XTR
    Group Set: Shimano XT
    Wheelset: Spinergy Enduro

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

My Blur LTc Images

Some images
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-2_file0187.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-3_file0185.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-file0193.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-file0194.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-file0192.jpg  

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    Nice cctuan

Which iPhone case + mount is that? How's it been working for you?

Och aye the noo
    I think it could do with some more accessories.

Very nice though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    wtf?!?

Did you convert it to a 'all-touring' bike?
    What's with the bell?

I'm really sorry, but that is wrong on so many levels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Let us know how your wheels hold up. Seems like allot of accessories that could start making allot of noise on a technical trail. Sweet bike, congrats

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hkenshin
    Nice cctuan

Which iPhone case + mount is that? How's it been working for you?
    aigo. It is actually an iPhone battery extender. the mount is RAM mount. It works very well with the case as it was surrounder by rubber strip and therefore the mount can hold it very tight. No problem even on technical downhill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by brumos
    wtf?!?

Did you convert it to a 'all-touring' bike?
    What's with the bell?

I'm really sorry, but that is wrong on so many levels.
    Sorry bro, it is my only all purpose bike. But I am thinking of getting another Nomad for all mountain.

TLM
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Where are the pics ?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 9