Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    3D guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Porchsong
    Please explain your comment above. I've never had a carbon frame, is this some kind of product that you put inside the seat tube to reduce post slippage?
    Yes, one should not use grease on cabon parts such as this (at least that is what many folks say). Dynamic assembly compound is actually a bit gritty and prevents slippage. There is a bunch of arguments on grease versus no grease (google carbon seatpost grease) but I find this stuff works very well for me increases friction and does prevent galling.

Tacx Dynamic Carbon Bicycle Assembly Compound
    Geoff Stahl
    San Jose

BLTc, Chameleon Single Speed, Speedvagen Road

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    For those of you fortunate enough to have some time in on the ltc... how well do they climb with the Revelation 150? I have a heckler with a talas 36 and spend most of the time with it set at 130 for better trail manners and climbing ability.I understand the geo is pretty similar (ok almost identical) to the hecker on the bltc and wonder how it climbs with a 150mm fork.
    Last edited by Gravitythief76; 09-11-2009 at 12:30 PM.

mtbr member
    first time I took it out I cleared all the sections that had given me problems, it was so easy it actually took some of the fun out it this bike is stiffer than my stinky

now my wife wants one and yeah! thats the vish files ramps and yeah its Hawaii...no big deal
    F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    what bike is that in the pic you are jumping?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver
    what bike is that in the pic you are jumping?
    that is an SX and that's is my friend Wafro, it was taken at the same time as the blur pics so I threw it up there for for the hell of it, but I have jumped the blur on the trail I normally ride, it eats up the bumps nice, I don't treat it like an XC bike, I ride it hard, like its meant to, its just a bike, and I intend to treat it like one, and I weigh in at 230 as a mater of fact the way I broke it in, was by building it and 3 days later loaning it to a friend for a 6 hour race...broke in the suspension and bearings nicely...now hes going to use it for a 24 in hell race.....The only reason it wasnt jumped of the botters that day was because the GD would not go low enough, and I cant just take it of because of the cable routing...
    F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    Those are Cobalts or Iodines? Have you pulled off some jumps like that on them?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    those are iron iodines. my buddy has those on his mojo sl and they are very stiff.

mtbr member
    those are iron iodines. my buddy has those on his mojo sl and they are very stiff.
    Weight?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i'm not sure i think they are posted on the crank brothers website. 1800 a pair if i remember. i was thinking of those because they do look really sweet. even better in person spec the orange. but i am now checking out those new tubless dt swiss wheels.

mtbr member
    i'm not sure i think they are posted on the crank brothers website. 1800 a pair if i remember. i was thinking of those because they do look really sweet. even better in person spec the orange. but i am now checking out those new tubless dt swiss wheels.
    yup, I do jumps, hip jumps and high speed drops on them no problems you know AM not XC, very stiff and 50 grams lighter than advertised, they are absolutely gorgeous and flawless, the one beef I have with them is that they are louder than my Cherish Kings and don’t particularly care for the tubeless valve, the core cannot be removed so you have to dismount the tire to refill with stands, the initial tire mountain is a PITA for the same reason.
    F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon9598
    yup, I do jumps, hip jumps and high speed drops on them no problems you know AM not XC, very stiff and 50 grams lighter than advertised, they are absolutely gorgeous and flawless, the one beef I have with them is that they are louder than my Cherish Kings and donít particularly care for the tubeless valve, the core cannot be removed so you have to dismount the tire to refill with stands, the initial tire mountain is a PITA for the same reason.
    F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    How would you true those wheels?
    At some they're going to go out of true.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Now I can go ride it......

Finished off the LTc today, test rode it around the backyard and went and took some photos.

It's going to be a very interesting experience.......

Spec
    Weight: 26.0lbs (25.7Lbs w/out computer/chainstay protectors/lower pivot mud flap/frame tape protection)
    Frame: Medium w/2010 RP23 boost valve shock.
    Fork: 2010 Fox Float FIT 150 RLC 15mm Axle with 1-1/8th Steer
    Headset: Cane Ck Frustum
    Stem: Thomson 70mm
    Bars: Truvativ Noir Race 20mm Rise/680mm Wide
    Grips: ESI foam
    Cranks: SLX Triple (w/ RaceFace ramped 34t Middle & XT 22t Granny)
    Cassette: XTR 11-34t
    Pedals: Wellgo MG-1 Ti's Axles
    Derailuers: R- XTR Shadow F-XT Direct Mount
    Shifters: XTR with full length cables.
    Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece
    Seat: Charge Knife
    Seatpost Clamp: 09 Hope
    Brakes: Carbon Levered Hope Mono Mini's w/Airwave Rotors 180mmF/160mmR
    Wheelset: Hope Pro2's Hubs & DT Swiss 4.2 Rims
    Skewers: XT rear
    Tyres: 2.1" Maxxis Exception series - ADvantage Front & Rear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gripo; 09-15-2009 at 12:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brumos
    How would you true those wheels?
    At some they're going to go out of true.
    the same way you true any wheel with spokes, the nipples are backwards and super long, if you look in the middle of the spoke you can see the wrench surface area and the wheels have a rib that goes all the way around....cool stuff, for real
    F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo
    Finished off the LTc today, test rode it around the backyard and went and took some photos.

It's going to be a very interesting experience.......

Spec
    Weight: 26.0lbs (25.7Lbs w/out computer/chainstay protectors/lower pivot mud flap/frame tape protection)
    Frame: Medium w/2010 RP23 boost valve shock.
    Fork: 2010 Fox Float FIT 150 RLC 15mm Axle with 1-1/8th Steer
    Headset: Cane Ck Frustum
    Stem: Thomson 70mm
    Bars: Truvativ Noir Race 20mm Rise/680mm Wide
    Grips: ESI foam
    Cassette: XTR 11-34t
    Pedals: Wellgo MG-1 Ti's Axles
    Derailuers: R- XTR Shadow F-XT Direct Mount
    Shifters: XTR with full length cables.
    Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece
    Seat: Charge Knife
    Seatpost Clamp: 09 Hope
    Brakes: Carbon Levered Hope Mono Mini's w/Airwave Rotors 180mmF/160mmR
    Wheelset: Hope Pro2's Hubs & DT Swiss 4.2 Rims
    Skewers: XT rear
    Tyres: 2.1" Maxxis Exception series - ADvantage Front & Rear.
    Nice, welcome to the club, and is that AZ, shure looks like it
    F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon9598
    the same way you true any wheel with spokes, the nipples are backwards and super long, if you look in the middle of the spoke you can see the wrench surface area and the wheels have a rib that goes all the way around....cool stuff, for real
    Yeah, i see it now. That is pretty cool.

Spec
    Nice rig Gripo. Your crankset looks like a double, I'm I blind or are you running a 2x9?

Porch
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Spec
    Quote Originally Posted by Porchsong
    Nice rig Gripo. Your crankset looks like a double, I'm I blind or are you running a 2x9?

Porch
    That's correct Porch.

I've done some experimenting over the last few months with the XCc and a 36/22t combo and haven't had any issues. I then tried it on my alloy LT with a 32/22t combo and only had the chain drop twice but since fine tuning the front derailuer haven't dropped a chain since.

I've rarely found myself riding a 44t bigring in the dirt hence why I've gone down this path, besides with the expanded 2x9 setup I have similar spread of gears and get a lighter drive train out of it. ie. on the XCc with a 36t-11t combo I can eek out 26Mph on a flat dirt road......

Was going with my last pair of M760 XT's on this build until one day I stripped the XT's and the SLX's of all chainrings/bolts etc and found that with both cranks bare the SLX's were 5g lighter, hence why they're on here.

Another bonus is that the SLX's colours suit the build.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    So after a month with my BLTc... I love it! This bike does everything exceptionally well. Terrific climber and excellent descender. I was reluctant to get a carbon bike but its been everything Santa Cruz claims. The suspension works flawlessly now that I've finally got it set up and the Revelation fork is awesome!

Some photos from the past few rides....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    gorgeous pics. where is that?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Whistler

mtbr member
    Nice pics man, I need to ride this bike more often, I only ride it once in a while. need to pedal more bomb less
    F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    How did the BLTc handle Whistler? Have you pushed it far enough? Because that seems quite a place to test all that is said about the frame! Nice pics again!

mtbr member
    Whistler

Look like comfortably numb trail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Black RONIN
    How did the BLTc handle Whistler? Have you pushed it far enough? Because that seems quite a place to test all that is said about the frame! Nice pics again!
    Like a piece of cake!
    It's taken everything i've thrown at it without a problem. Like I said, I was very skeptical and reluctant to get a carbon frame mostly because of the all the myths about it's durability. At first I rode it very gingerly, but now I don't think twice about it.

Have I pushed it far enough?
    Guess it depends how you define 'far'. I don't ride the park 'cause that's not my thing, I prefer more XC/Freeride trails and so far it's been fantastic... could not be happier with the ride quality. Did my first race on it last weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimba
    Look like comfortably numb trail?

No, was planning on it this weekend though.

The 'sunny' pics are around Emerald and Green Lake. The others are around Cheakamus Canyon.

mtbr member
    Like a piece of cake!
    It's taken everything i've thrown at it without a problem. Like I said, I was very skeptical and reluctant to get a carbon frame mostly because of the all the myths about it's durability. At first I rode it very gingerly, but now I don't think twice about it.

Have I pushed it far enough?
    Guess it depends how you define 'far'. I don't ride the park 'cause that's not my thing, I prefer more XC/Freeride trails and so far it's been fantastic... could not be happier with the ride quality. Did my first race on it last weekend.
    That's far enough for me!

I also overcame my doubts and fears about carbon frames when I got my Mojo. But I still think the BLTc may be stiffer than the Mojo for harder riding, but since mine is set for XC, it's all fine for me.

quick frame size question

BLTc riders, quick pole if your willing.

How tall are you?
    whats your inseam?
    what size BLTc frame?

Cheers.

Porch
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

mtbr member
    5'10 1/2, 30 inch inseam, medium BlurLTc frame...
    2011 Santa Cruz TallBoy carbon & 2013 TallBoy LT carbon - S/C All the Time !!!

mtbr member
    How tall are you? = 2m
    whats your inseam? 82mm
    what size BLTc frame? = L
    F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    175 cm Blurt Ltc M

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    5'10" = L

MassiveAttack
    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll
    Rode the LTc for a couple of hours on Sunday and then gave it a walk for about 3/4's of a mile.

I was having fun at Paradise Valley (http://evergreenmtb.org/wiki/index.p...aradise_Valley) and dumped it just the wrong way on the Lloyd Trail (I think it was). The replaceable hanger bent below the 'fun' bolt and shoved the derailleur into the spokes. I removed the rear derailleur, put it out of the way, and wheeled out to the parking lot. I've read the caution about having an extra hanger with you; but, of course I didn't! They don't appear to be in stock anywhere. I'll see if it can be bent back in the interim. Same 'XC2 Drop Out' as on the XCc, by the way.

I think for a younger, stronger, rider the 36 would be great. For me, it's probably more fork then I need for around here on tight twisty singletrack. I'm considering trading down to the lighter 2010 Fox 32 TALAS 150 FIT RLC 15QR. Anybody want a good deal on the 36, PM me.

Cheers.
    Thanks for sharing how fragile the hanger is.... I just damaged mine when I dropped the bike while trying to mount the video camera. Moving forward I plan to keep a few in stock and handy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    More Pics. More Pics. More pics.... Come on I''ve been stuck inside all week with swine flu. Working on selling both my bikes for an BLTc. Throw me a bone here!!!!

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    Here are a couple shots of my new LTc. I've got about a month on it now.

Medium Frame
    King headset
    Revelation Fork
    DT EX 1750 wheels
    2.3 WTB Prowler MX tires with Maxxis tubeless rim strips and Stans
    Avid Ultimate brakes with Formula R! rotors
    Thomson X4 70mm stem
    Easton Monkeylite (widest and tallest) bars
    Serfas connectors grips
    XO shifter and short cage rear deraileur
    KS i900-r seatpost with maverick remote
    Terry fly carbon saddle
    XTR cranks with E-13 32t chainring
    Gamut G35 chainguide
    XTR cassette
    ti bolts everywhere
    27.5 lbs

This thing is F#*@ing rad.
    Climbs awesome and handles 6-8 foot drops and big gaps with ease.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Check it!

Ok the last few weeks with the LT Carbon haven't been that impressive, in actual fact I've preferred riding the LT2 Alloy......

My main dissatisfaction has been with the rear suspension on the LTC, it's seemed very stiff and unresponsive to low speed bumps ie. not at all like the LTA.

Checked the shock pressure, even lowered it down to 120psi still no solution, check that the propedal lever is not stuck in the lock-out position, no that's fine. Oh well must be the new shock ie. 2010 Fox RP23w/ boost valve, needs to be run it in longer or could it be new valving for 2010 from those who whined about the 09 valving being too soft for the LTC?

The final straw came when a mate who rides a Cannodale 29'r hardtails said the LTC was like a hardtail with travel, wtf?

So on the weekend I thought I'd swap the shocks over, putting the 09 RP23 on the LTC.

Now this is where it gets interesting and may be the problem. I had a hard time removing the shock from the rear pivot point ie. linkage. I had to tap out the shock with a small rubber hammer.

Then trying to install the 09 RP23 was impossible, the fit between the lower linkage and the shocks bushings were tighter than the nuns proverbial. To fit the shock(s) back in I had to file the shocks rear bushing.......

So what this boils down to is that I believe the suspension action was being hindered by some binding of the lower linkage against the shocks bushing.....anyhow

Test rode it this afternoon with the 09 RP23 and it a different bike, small bumps have disappeared (like the LTA was to ride) and the LTC is how it should of been.

The next test is putting the 2010 RP23 back on, anyway this bike now rocks.
    Last edited by Gripo; 10-13-2009 at 03:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Anyone has a picture of small BLT frames? Are they available yer?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayancycles
    Anyone has a picture of small BLT frames? Are they available yer?

This is a small.

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread

mtbr member
    May 2004
    All great looking bikes you guys have posted. I find that the ones that have a black lower headset look better to me. More integrated looking with the frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hello
    Do you know if it is possible to install the sram xx group on this frame.
    Because the front derailleur is a direct mount and there is no compatible sram xx front derailleur.
    Does the shimano XT direct mount work fine with the truvativ xx 26-39 chainring ?
    thanks for your help

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    First SC Blur LTc built of the Philippines!

Just though of sharing these images, although, this was built on the first week of October, hope you enjoy them

The build specs

Frame: Santa Cruz Blur LT Carbon w/Silver, Medium
    Rear Shock: Fox Float RP23 with Boost Valve
    Fork: Fox 32 Talas '09 Black OEM
    Saddle: Ritchey Marathon Ti
    Seatpost: Thompson Elite, 30.9
    Seatpost Clamp: Santa Cruz
    Handlebar: Ritchey Carbon XC, Medium Rise, 660mm
    Stem: Thompson X4, 90mm
    Grips: Oury Grips with Red ODI Clamps
    Headset: Cane Creek XXII, Custom Tapered headset w/ fabricated Crownrace
    Shift Levers: SRAM X.0, trigger with Macthmaker
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XT M771 Direct Mount
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.0, long cage
    Derailleur Cables: Shimano XTR
    Brakes: Avid Elixir CR Carbon
    Brake Rotors: Avid G3 Sweep 185mm F & 160mm R
    Crankset: Shimano XTR Hollowtech II Crankset FC-M970, 175mm
    Chain: Shimano DuraAce
    Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy SL Black
    Cassette: Shimano XTR Cassette CS-M970, 11-34t
    Wheels: Alex Rim XCR Pro Scandium Rims with DTSwiss 240s Hubs with DTSwiss Revo Spokes
    Tires: Kenda 2.1 DTC Frt., Kenda 1.95 Excavator Rr., converted to tubeless (Stanís)
    Front&Rear Skewers: Token Ti Skewers
    Weight: 25.3lbs

mtbr member
    Lone, just curious, how your front hub (I suppose it's a 240s QR) fits your fork? Did you need to put any spacer to push away the brake mounts from rubbing the rotor?

Nice build though. Excelent choice of components, I have almost the exact build on my Mojo SL! Guess only rims and pedals are different! And I have a Float upfront, but that's pretty minor!

EDIT: Never mind the hub question. You're on 6-bolt and I'm on CL. It seems only CL rotors seem to jam with the mounts, something related with 2-piece rotors, but honestly, I think it's a problem with Fox alone and nothing to with DT hubs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Lone, NICE build. That's the build I'm looking at for mine...

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    Lone, What is the deal with your custom fabricated headset and crown race?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    @ Black Ronin and MadridG - thank you for your nice words.

@Bikedrd - I ordered the frame from a distributor here in our country with a tapered headset. We specifically told them that we need the tapered one with a conversion crown race because we will be using a fork with a 1 1/8 steerer tube.

But still it arrived with a Cane Creek with non-conversion crown race. SCB said that they ordered conversion kits from Cane Creek and Chris King but they didn't received any since they ordered.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG 1970
    Like you, I would like to know the same thing. I plan on getting a S/C Blur LTc in the near future. I want to put a Fox 32 Float 140mm RLC 1 1/8 fork on there. Could anyone please tell me, what are my headset options are. On the ChrisKing web site the 1.5 to 1/ 1/8 headset says it is not compatible with Fox forks? Q- The headset the comes from S/C with the Blur LTc frame can you use just a 1 1/8 fork? or does it have to be a tapered fork or a 1.5? Thanks!
    -Regarding this, you can run a fox fork and you can just run a reducer on the lower portion to keep using the 1 1/8 headtube. Though for stiffness the tapered fork is supreme. Also the reducers tend to be a bit heavy also.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Bit of an update.....

Changes are
    * Limited edition Fox Float RLC 150/15mm in Silver with black stickers
    * Hope P2 w/Stans 355 and Maxxis Advatange Exception 2.1 converted to tubeless.
    * 1x9 conversion using 28 or 30t Widgit depending on where I ride and a hybrid XTR/SLX 12-36t cassette

In the current spec it's sitting at 24.9lbs ready to run.

I'm still trying to like the LTc, again as mentioned in previous threads the rear suspension is not as plush as my LTa maybe the bikes lightness has something to do with it as the alloy is 28.5lbs. I never seem to get full travel going by the shocks o-ring.

As for chainstay wear, I replaced the zip ties that are the first line of defence recently and also did a derailuer hanger in a pretty inocent stack, so now have a few lying around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-img_0691-medium-.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-img_0689-medium-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Gripo, your setup is 0.5Lbs lighter than Lone's? where's the difference coming from?

I'm excited to see ~25Lb AM setups with this frame!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by madridg
    Gripo, your setup is 0.5Lbs lighter than Lone's? where's the difference coming from?

I'm excited to see ~25Lb AM setups with this frame!
    No front shifter/cable/derailuer, a few Ti bolts here and there, foam grips, masterpiece post, charge knife saddle.......and if you took away
    my chainstay protection/pivot mudflap/bike computer it would be 24.5lbs easy...

To be honest there's plenty of bikes here on MTBR with weights higher than their owners claim.....

My bike weights come from an Ultimate Alpine Scale and I regularly double check it's accuracy by weighing parts on my kitchen scales then on the Alpine.
    So I'm confident that my bikes weight is as accurate as it can be.

BTW when I had Schwalbe 2.25RR/2.1NN's on last week it was 24.4lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone
    @ Black Ronin and MadridG - thank you for your nice words.

@Bikedrd - I ordered the frame from a distributor here in our country with a tapered headset. We specifically told them that we need the tapered one with a conversion crown race because we will be using a fork with a 1 1/8 steerer tube.

But still it arrived with a Cane Creek with non-conversion crown race. SCB said that they ordered conversion kits from Cane Creek and Chris King but they didn't received any since they ordered.
    Lone,

what do u mean w/ fabricated Crownrace ?
    u made 1 urself ?

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast