Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Heavy Carbon

Mmmm so many LTc's that are equal to or heavier than most LTa's? I would have expected more low 27lb builds to be honest, bugger spending the extra dosh for carbon when you can already build a light alloy......oh yeah, that several hundred $'s extra buys a perceived stiff and smoother riding frame.....gota laugh at that one.

My white one was 28.4lbs as seen in this pic, then latter on had it @ 26.5lbs for XC/Marathon racer> Lets see those LT2s

My black one now sits at 28.1lbs with wider tyres and 180mm rotors than seen in this pic>
    Lets see those LT2s

mtbr member
    Well, I'm not too fussed about the overall weight so long as it's reasonable. I wasn't going to compromise on 20mm front axle & dropper seatpost, and if I wanted a lightweight bike I'd have bought a carbon XC, or just kept my old Fivespot & fitted a load of weight weenie components. Personally, I'm extremely pleased to have the carbon LT rather than the alu, not least just because it's just a gorgeous piece of design & construction. Frankly, when you're up in the multiple thousands for a frame, it's not really about incremental performance improvements, but rather an object of desirability as well as function.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo
    Mmmm so many LTc's that are equal to or heavier than most LTa's? I would have expected more low 27lb builds to be honest, bugger spending the extra dosh for carbon when you can already build a light alloy......oh yeah, that several hundred $'s extra buys a perceived stiff and smoother riding frame.....gota laugh at that one.

My white one was 28.4lbs as seen in this pic, then latter on had it @ 26.5lbs for XC/Marathon racer> Lets see those LT2s

My black one now sits at 28.1lbs with wider tyres and 180mm rotors than seen in this pic>
    Lets see those LT2s

Worth every penny Gripo. The stiffness and feel is not only perception, but reality. It isn't just the extra pound that you lose, it is also the longer fork, which to me feels much more comfortable in gnar sections where your short a-c fork does not. In addition, it is stiffer without weight penalty.

But the reality is this; the carbon is a completely different riding bike. Period. Laugh all you want...the carbon version is head and shoulders better than the aluminum. Big words I know...but it is true. Even I cannot believe it. No doubt, no aluminum version owner should suffer from any kind of bike envy because the carbon exists. The aluminum version is awesome. But it does not touch the carbon. No way, no how.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25
    Worth every penny Gripo. The stiffness and feel is not only perception, but reality. It isn't just the extra pound that you lose, it is also the longer fork, which to me feels much more comfortable in gnar sections where your short a-c fork does not. In addition, it is stiffer without weight penalty.

But the reality is this; the carbon is a completely different riding bike. Period. Laugh all you want...the carbon version is head and shoulders better than the aluminum. Big words I know...but it is true. Even I cannot believe it. No doubt, no aluminum version owner should suffer from any kind of bike envy because the carbon exists. The aluminum version is awesome. But it does not touch the carbon. No way, no how.
    My first ride is tomorrow. Even more excited now having read that!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    My LT1 with full XTR including wheels comes at 25.9 Ibs with heavy panaracer fire UST tires and at this moment a bit of mud.

I've just built up a BLTc with mostly the same build components with the exception on CK hubs, 819 Rims aerolite spokes and XT rotors instead of the XTR wheels. I'm also still waiting on an XTR shifter/rear brake so I've installed XT's as a temporary measure.

My weight comes in at 26.94 Ibs but this should drop a bit once I get the XTR shifter/ brakes. I'm also waiting for Shimano to introduce an XTR wheelset with a 15mm hub. If it doesn't happen soon I will probably go for the SLR's or Fulcruns. With a new wheelset and summer tires I should get below 26Ibs.

A significant area where the BLTc is heavier is in the fork/headset area. I've gone with the 150 Talas which is nearly 0.5Ib heavier than the f120's on the BLT1. I'm also waiting on a CK inset headset. As a temporary solution I've used a CK 1.5 lower cup/crown race and the SC supplied Cane Creek upper assembly. The lower cup is massive and probably weighs more than an entire 1.125 headset.

I haven't yet ridden the BLTc but plan to do so this weekend

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25

Well, I rode my LTc for the first time today, at Whites, Afan. I'm not usually one for superlatives or waxing lyrical but, despite being a little sceptical of the intensity of the above post, I am now absolutely 100% in agreement. Coming from a Fivespot, I really wasn't expecting to be completely blown away by the LTc, but, well, I was. This frame is incredible. I have ridden Whites loads of times, but never as fast as this, or with such a huge grin. This bike positively encourages you to throw it about down the singletrack, hopping obstacles, dodging from line to line, as you have total faith that the bike will track whichever way you point it. SC have made a lot of noise about how super stiff this frame is, and it shows. I am absolutely thrilled to have this as my main rig.
    Last edited by Pedalhead; 08-08-2009 at 11:40 AM.

MassiveAttack

my blur lt carbon setup....

keeping with the theme of the thread...

Frame: Santa Cruz Blur LT Carbon, large
    Rear Shock: 2010 Fox Float RP23
    Fork: Fox RC 160
    Saddle: 2009 WTB Rocket V SLT Saddle
    Seatpost: 2009 Crank Brothers Joplin R Seatpost
    Handlebar: 2009 Easton Monkeylite XC Handlebar
    Stem: Thomson X4, 90mm 10 deg
    Grips: 2009 Ergon GE1 Enduro Grip
    Headset: Cane Creek
    Shift Levers: XTR
    Front Derailleur: XT M771 Direct Mount
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.0, long cage
    Brakes: Avid Ultimate
    Crankset: XTR Hollowtech II Crankset FC-M970, 175mm
    Chain: XT
    Pedals: 2009 Shimano PD-M424 Pedals
    Cassette: TXTR 11-34t
    Wheelset: Roval Traversée Trail, disc Wheelset
    Tires: WTB Weirwolves (f) Mutano (r)
    Tubes: Tubless...

Weight = 28.4

Here's my new blur lt carbon, which i traded my s-works enduro sl for...

mtbr member
    how does it ride with the 160 on it? also how does it compare to your enduro?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    lots of the black/silver model but no one has the blue one yet?
    My bikes:
    2009 Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon, 1x9 "trail monster"
    1996 Bontrager Privateer Comp, 1x9, Hydro V's

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Headset ???

So I'll be getting the Blur carbon soon, but I'm a bit confused about hte headset. I plan on using my current fork, which is a 1 1/8" non tapered steerer. What are my headset options?

I currently have the Cane Creek 110 on my Specialized Enduro. Could I just get the bottom half of a reducer headset to use with the upper from my current headset?

It seems like the CC Frustum are all for a tapered steerer. How about Chris King? They are all modular, so could I just order the specific sizes I need from my LBS?

What are some other options? Thanks!

(...and of course a new DIRECT MOUNT front derailleur as well...)

mtbr member
    Sorry, still having trouble with my cell phone access... it sends a blank update when editing... not the first time...

Anyway, nice build all the way Massiveattack! A+ for the 36!

I think you would like to go with a XTR chain since you got a XTR crankset and cassette. It will improve shifting rate by a 100%, and give more longevity for the crankset chain rings and the cassette.
    Last edited by Black RONIN; 08-09-2009 at 07:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Like you, I would like to know the same thing. I plan on getting a S/C Blur LTc in the near future. I want to put a Fox 32 Float 140mm RLC 1 1/8 fork on there. Could anyone please tell me, what are my headset options are. On the ChrisKing web site the 1.5 to 1/ 1/8 headset says it is not compatible with Fox forks? Q- The headset the comes from S/C with the Blur LTc frame can you use just a 1 1/8 fork? or does it have to be a tapered fork or a 1.5? Thanks!
    Last edited by JohnnyG 1970; 08-09-2009 at 02:47 PM.
    2011 Santa Cruz TallBoy carbon & 2013 TallBoy LT carbon - S/C All the Time !!!

mtbr member
    got my frame and some parts Thursday, rest of parts are stuck waiting for back ordered components, one shipment gets here next Thursday, and the other half a week later

so far, these are the build components and non corrected weights.

Frame} 2010 LRG Blur LTc black with RP3 140mm travel..................................4.38 lbs
    Fork} 2010 Fox TALAS 32 150mm 1.5" taper QR15 included.............................3.9 9 lbs

Bars} Race Face Next XC Bar, 31.8mm 1" R/27"L..............................................193 g
    Stem} Race Face Deus Stem 31.8mm/70mm.............................................. ......145g
    Brakes} Elixir CR 160mm with Ti bolts and Hope rotors each...............................280g
    Shifters} SRAM X.0 twist set with cables............................................ ................195g
    Derailleur} SRAM X.0 rear Derailleur Drilled........................................... ..............197g
    Derailleur} XT direct mount derailleur........................................ ..........................143g
    Grips} ODI ruffian 90mm lock-on drilled........................................... .....................70g
    Cranks} Race Face Next SL W/ BB .................................................. ................701g
    Chain} Sram PC-991 Hollowpin 112 links including PowerLink............................268.8g
    Pedals} Crank Brothers Egg Beater SL................................................ ...............266g
    Saddle} Selle San Marco................................... ...............................................190 g
    Wheels} Hope pro II on mavic 819 and DT butted spokes F872g/R972g, set.........1944g
    Cassette} Sram PG 990 11-34................................................ ...........................290g
    Seatpost 1} (FFA)Gravity Dropper 4" drilled 3 position with spacer........................499g
    Seatpost 2} (FRO) Race Face Next SL................................................ ...............230g
    Tires} (FFA) Continental MT Kings 2.4 tubeless, each..........................................530g
    Tires} (FRO) Continental Speed King Supersonic 2.3 each....................................433g
    Seatpost Clamp} Stock............................................. ...........................................??
    Ti Bolt kit} Derailleur, shifter and all brake mounting bolts.....................................-12g
    Stans} per tire.................................... .................................................. ............4.2g
    did I miss anything
    Oh yeah
    Headset} 2010 Canecreek XX ZS-3 1.5" / 1 1/8".................................................. .250g

I'm not a weight whiner but I figured hey why not

F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Here's my new Blur LTc.

This bike replace my old faithfull '03 original Blur. So far the learning curve is a little bumpy and i miss the stellar climping ability of my older blur. I want to try new lighter tire and rim to pinch out more performance out of this otherwise great bike.

I just receive ZTR arch rim to replace the current ZTR flow on the bike. For tires, i'm thinking about narrower Hutchinson Toro 2.1 Tubeless Ready.

Frame Santa Cruz Blur LTc Large
    Rear shock Rock Shox Monarch
    Fourche 2010 Rock Shox Revelation with maxle lite axle and Taper headtube
    Headset Cane Creek XX taper (custom made for Santa Cruz)
    Stem Syntace F119 90mm
    Handlebar Truvativ Noir Team
    Brake levers Shimano XTR dual control
    Shift levers Shimano XTR dual control
    Frt derailleur Shimano XT direct mount
    Rr derailleur Shimano XTR Low normal
    Gear Cable Jagwire Ripcord
    Saddle WTB Rocket V race with titanium rail
    Seatpost Syntace P6
    Crankset Shimano XT
    Pedals Shimano XT
    Cassette Shimano XT
    Chain Shimano XTR
    Frt hub Hadley 20mm convertible
    Rr hub Hadley with titanium cassette body and optional 72 pt engagement
    Spokes DT Swiss supercomp
    Nipplies DT Swiss red anodised (aluminum)
    Rims Stan's ZTR Flow white
    Tires Specialized S-work Eskar 2.3 2Bliss

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    edit: Sorry, for the double post... Oups
    Last edited by Marc25; 08-10-2009 at 06:26 PM.

mtbr member
    the head set is kicking my ass, question of the guys with the factory Rock Shox, does the Uturn come in tapered?, I cant find it anywhere, as far as I can see the only tapered one is the white dual air non Uturn, I was wondering if there was maybe a Factory available option. and can you guys with the builds post were you got the head sets and what models there are, right now I'm buying two headsets and splitting them up.
    this is what I have so far
    this will fit the bottom cup and reduce it to 1 1/8, it sticks out a little so it ads to the height of the fork
    for a 1 1/8 fork
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...g+Headset.aspx
    and this cup for the top
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...3+Headset.aspx
    if you have a tapered fork you can just go ahead and get this one
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...8+Headset.aspx
    any others?
    F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanrosenbach3
    lots of the black/silver model but no one has the blue one yet?

Not to worry my friend, I pick up my blue BLTc this Friday. Got a call from my LBS and he said it looks sweet. I'll definitely post up some pics.
    I'm curious to see it myself, i've only seen the black in person.

mtbr member
    The headset was a pain to sort out on mine. In the end, we took some bits from a couple of Hope headsets & shoved them in there. Only then did we discover that SC UK sell suitable headsets for the LTc...dunno what make though.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    In Australia SC supply a cane creek headset which consists of a standard 1.5" bottom cup and a semi integrated 44mm OD upper assembly.

Chris King have a new headset called the Inset which comes in several different configurations one of which suits the LTC. I'm sure CK also make an adaptor so a 1.125 steerer fork can be used on a 1.5". Speedgoat have the CK Inset listed on their website and are expecting stock very soon.

I ended up buying a CK 1.5" headset from which I used the crown race and lower cup with the SC supplied Cane Creek upper bearing assembly. When the CK inset comes available I'll change the upper assembly to CK and sell off a complete but partially used Cane Creek tapered headset and a complete but partially used CK 1.5 headset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Has anyone tried running a coil on the Blur LTC yet?

mtbr member
    Yeah that's why I posted the actual parts, if you want to run a tapered steer tube just get the one from Price point, it's already set up for the Blur LTc, but if you are trying to put on a 1 1/8 looks like you have to buy two head sets and use half of each....I don’t know why they did it this way but damn....not only is it tapered its mixed
    F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon9598
    the head set is kicking my ass, question of the guys with the factory Rock Shox, does the Uturn come in tapered?, I cant find it anywhere, as far as I can see the only tapered one is the white dual air non Uturn, I was wondering if there was maybe a Factory available option.
    Any resolution on this
    there is pictures of them but nothing on a search

Last edited by Saxon9598; 08-10-2009 at 04:24 PM.
    F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    a guy ran a fox dhx coil on competitive cyclist. goggle santa cruz blur ltc and check images. the story is in there. i think it still only weight 26 lbs.

mtbr member
    UPDATE, just got off the phone with Jenson (not the actual Jenson but a sales rep) and confirmed that this head set
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...8+Headset.aspx does actually fit the B LTc, however it's almost a flush mount bottom cup, so that's not good if you are planning on running a 150mm or les fork, it will steepen the head angle just a bit, it would be a really good option for a 160mm fork for the same reason.
    F88me самолюбивый член

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast