Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    How did you get 69* with 160mm fox 36 and that shock? Shouldn't it be slacker than spec (68) which is with a shorter fork?
    Dunno what to tell you, but it is the measurement I got. Same device used to measure my TBLTc, and DH bike and they were consistent w/ published values...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    How did you get 69* with 160mm fox 36 and that shock? Shouldn't it be slacker than spec (68) which is with a shorter fork?
    What is the crown to axle length on that fork? Maybe different than the forks currently spec'd on the BLTc?
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member

FINALLY got to ride my short-shocked BLTc!

*The ride*
    All I can say is if anyone is looking to bleed a bit more speed out of your bike, DO IT! The slacker HTA got rid of the bike's nervousness in the techy downs, but the bike didn't plow in the switchback during climbs...a prob I had w/ the unshimmed bike using a 36 in 160 mode. The lower BB and CG really shows up when you stuff the bike into and rail a turn! But it's not so low you strike a lot of pedals...or maybe I got used to low BB on my TB?

*Geeking out*
    And, if any of you have looked at the Linkage software for the BLTc, you know the suspension design is a regressive one (increasing leverage ratio) till about 35-40% of its stroke. But after that, it turns into progressive (decreasing leverage ratio) for the rest of its stroke. So, if you do the math...the short-shocked BLTc actually sits at about 36 or 37% of the original 63.5mm (2.5") stroke. Meaning: no more mid-stroke wallow!

*The Numbers*
    So, I remeasured that bike to get some final numbers:
    - Fox 36 Float shimmed down to 140mm.
    - Monarch Plus 8.5x2.5" shimmed down to 8.17x2.17".
    - HTA was changed from whatever OE spec, to 67*. I don't know how I got 69* HTA the last time I measured for the unshimmed HTA (may I confused it w/ by TBLTc...?).
    - BB is now at 13, 3/16" - I replaced the stock topout bumper w/ a Fox air can seal that was a bit thicker.

*Pics*
    Link to pics of the bike on my BP photo album: Blur-LTc-Short-shockd Photo Album - Pinkbike

*Thoughts...*
    I wonder... did I just turn a BLTc to a TRc, but w/ shorter TT? Anyway, this kinda really opens up the BLTc to a 650b w/o the high-rise BB, yeah? Oh, if anyone wants pics of the shock w/o air can so you can see what I did, lemme know.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    *The ride*

*Thoughts...*
    I wonder... did I just turn a BLTc to a TRc, but w/ shorter TT? Anyway, this kinda really opens up the BLTc to a 650b w/o the high-rise BB, yeah? Oh, if anyone wants pics of the shock w/o air can so you can see what I did, lemme know.
    Yes! looks great. Do you know where the seat tube angle ended up? I'd love to see the shock guts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ben_san View Post
    Yes! looks great. Do you know where the seat tube angle ended up? I'd love to see the shock guts.
    Going for a spin... I'll have pics for you later in the week when our weather is supposed to go to pot again.

Edit: got bored so here it is...
    Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-monarch-plus-short-shock-shims-02.jpg
    Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-monarch-plus-short-shock-shims-01.jpg
    Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-monarch-plus-air-vol-rubberbands.jpg
    Last edited by Pau11y; 04-14-2013 at 09:06 PM.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member

Seat tube angle

Quote Originally Posted by ben_san View Post
    Oh, I spaced measuring the seat tube angle. Will git 'er done tonight.

Edit: my gauge says 70 degrees dead nuts.
    Last edited by Pau11y; 04-15-2013 at 06:01 PM.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Don't ride a Trek anymore
    Sep 2008
     photo E320AC9E-57A2-4171-8463-4E354B6B2507-32935-0000255A293C5F6F_zps00c75c06.jpg

Among the custom tidbits are
    -Fox 36 Float @ 150mm
    -Rock Shox Vivid RC2 350# spring
    -RWC Needle bearings
    -Angleset at -1*
    -Tubeless EX500 wheelset, 2.35 UST High Roller rear/2.5 Exo Minion DHF front
    -x9 1x10 drivetrain with MRP G2 Mini guide
    -785mm Funn Fatboy DH bars with a 60mm Raceface stem

Waiting on some offset shock hardware for the front mount to lower the BB and rake it out a bit more. This bike is a beast as a pedal-anywhere freeride/enduro/trail rig!

mtbr member
    Edit: got bored so here it is...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monarch Plus Short Shock Shims 02.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	790690
    Nice, looks easy to do. I don't know about rockshox but on a fox shock this configuration will prevent the positive and negative chambers from equalizing, because they do when the shock is fully extended.

mtbr member
    Nice, looks easy to do. I don't know about rockshox but on a fox shock this configuration will prevent the positive and negative chambers from equalizing, because they do when the shock is fully extended.
    You know, while I was doing this for the Blur LTc, I also pulled off my Monarch Plus for my TBLTc and added some motor oil for lube to its (+) and (-) chamber... The TBLTc's air can is a LV one, and when I reassembled (both units), the air can never did what you referred to as 'equalize' and would actually pull the shock body (what most would call the 'stanchion' part) into its stroke a bit. It only became fully extended once I've air it up a bit. I wonder if that's designed in so as to help break the initial stiction typical of air sprung shocks? If so, I also wonder if the Fox could benefit from this...because the RP23 that came w/ my BLTc AND TBLTc felt like it had bubble gum for its working fluid.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    The TBLTc's air can is a LV one, and when I reassembled (both units), the air can never did what you referred to as 'equalize' and would actually pull the shock body (what most would call the 'stanchion' part) into its stroke a bit. It only became fully extended once I've air it up a bit.
    That's what a fox shock would do. When the shock is fully extended there is a passage between the chambers. When you don't extend, the air in the negative chamber would push the stanchion inside. This is sometimes called stuck down shock (when the shock is fully assembled and you drain the air too fast). Usually when you fill with air the stanchion gets pushed all the way to the bottom and then equalize.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Do the 2012 frames have iscg tabs or do those only come with the 2013's?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hey guys. I'm looking at getting a BLT or BLTc. I just saw that the L is a 19.5" and the M is a 17" - I ride a GT Force M, 18.5" and it fits me well. You guys think I should get a L or a M? the TT of the Force is at 23" so I'd prefer the L's TT length.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Get a large. I ride a Medium GT (29er, but still) and my Large Blur LT fits me perfectly. I wouldn't want anything smaller. I'm 5'11" with a 31-32" inseam, BTW.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How do I calculate for inseam? I forgot how to do that - is that from my pelvic area/crotch to my foot?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prancisfena View Post
    Hey guys. I'm looking at getting a BLT or BLTc. I just saw that the L is a 19.5" and the M is a 17" - I ride a GT Force M, 18.5" and it fits me well. You guys think I should get a L or a M? the TT of the Force is at 23" so I'd prefer the L's TT length.
    how tall are you?

im 5'11, wear 32 length pants and ride a large. Id guess youll want a large as Blurs tend to run a bit on the small side.

k_z
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Agree with above, I am 5'10, wear 32 pants as well and got large (as advised here). Can't imagine riding Medium.

I wreck alot
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek7000rider View Post
     photo E320AC9E-57A2-4171-8463-4E354B6B2507-32935-0000255A293C5F6F_zps00c75c06.jpg

Among the custom tidbits are
    -Fox 36 Float @ 150mm
    -Rock Shox Vivid RC2 350# spring
    -RWC Needle bearings
    -Angleset at -1*
    -Tubeless EX500 wheelset, 2.35 UST High Roller rear/2.5 Exo Minion DHF front
    -x9 1x10 drivetrain with MRP G2 Mini guide
    -785mm Funn Fatboy DH bars with a 60mm Raceface stem

Waiting on some offset shock hardware for the front mount to lower the BB and rake it out a bit more. This bike is a beast as a pedal-anywhere freeride/enduro/trail rig!
    I think this is the first BLTc I've seen with a coil. How does it ride? Are you riding the bike parks with this thing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    how tall are you?

im 5'11, wear 32 length pants and ride a large. Id guess youll want a large as Blurs tend to run a bit on the small side.
    5'10 with 33 L pants. haha. I guess i'd fit on a large.

Thanks for the inout guys! Time to go shopping.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prancisfena View Post
    5'10 with 33 L pants. haha. I guess i'd fit on a large.
    Large for sure. Its better to size by the top tube and standover than the seat tube. I am your size on a large and its a good fit.

b a n n e d
    Large for sure. Its better to size by the top tube and standover than the seat tube. I am your size on a large and its a good fit.
    And even better to size by the reach and stack.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Don't ride a Trek anymore
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SoWal_MTBer View Post
    I think this is the first BLTc I've seen with a coil. How does it ride? Are you riding the bike parks with this thing?
    I ride this bike on pretty much everything. I have a downhill bike for racing and the really hairy stuff, but this thing is my go to fun bike. I love doing dh runs with it, but it still pedals well enough for xc/enduro type stuff

The coil is a lot better than the rp23 for me. I had problems getting the rp to feel good over chatter and bumps but still have enough support for big hits. It either felt harsh or wallowy. With the coil, I have better small bump compliance as well as enough support for deeper in the travel. It still pedals well too
    Last edited by Trek7000rider; 04-21-2013 at 12:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My BLUR LTc

BLUR LTc Medium
    Fox 32 Talas 150 fit rlc
    Full 2013 XT Groupset
    Chris King Headset
    Ritchey WCS Alloy Seat Post
    Ritchey WCS 260 Alloy Stem
    Ritchey WCS Carbon Low Riser Bars
    Spank Grips
    SDG Bel Air Saddle
    Hope Evo 2 Hubs
    Arch EX Hoops
    Dt Swiss Spokes
    Hope Floating Rotor's 160mm rear , 183mm front.
    Continetal XKINGS

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-bike-4.jpgBlur LT Carbon Setup Thread-bike-3.jpgBlur LT Carbon Setup Thread-bike-9.jpgBlur LT Carbon Setup Thread-bike-11.jpgBlur LT Carbon Setup Thread-bike-7.jpgBlur LT Carbon Setup Thread-bike-12.jpgBlur LT Carbon Setup Thread-bike-13.jpgBlur LT Carbon Setup Thread-bike-14.jpgBlur LT Carbon Setup Thread-bike-5.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhood14 View Post
    Hi, Im new to the site... just thought id post up my planned build. Im currently riding a 2011 santa cruz butcher. I was planning on getting one more year out of it until i saw the carbon blur frames on sale for such a steal! i plan on weighing my butcher before i build up the blur frame so i can see the weight diffrence. Anyway, Here is my planned build. Everything has been shipped and now im just doing the wonderful waiting game!

2012 Blur LTC (large)
    Fox Float 36 160 forks...(open bath, have been Pushed)
    Fox CTD rear shock
    Stans Flow rims laced to Chris King hubs
    Avid elixir 7 brakes( 180 or 160 on front and 160 rear)
    Continental Mountain king Protection tire...(tubeless 2.2 rear and 2.4 front)
    shimano XT crank (with single 34 tooth ring)
    strait line AMP pedals
    XTR 10 speed chain
    XT shadow pus medium cage rear derailleur
    xt 10 speed shifter
    xt cassette
    x-fusion hi lo post
    SDG FXR seat
    Chris king headset
    Funn Funnduro stem
    ODI ruffian lock on grips

Im sure i left off something... and i apologize for the random parts list in no particular order... what would you guys think the bike will weigh around using those parts??
    Did you do the build yet? I'm thinking about doing the same thing with my size large butcher. Thinking about getting an XL BLTC though. Did all the parts swap?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasst View Post
    My BLUR LTc

BLUR LTc Medium
    Fox 32 Talas 150 fit rlc
    Full 2013 XT Groupset
    Chris King Headset
    Ritchey WCS Alloy Seat Post
    Ritchey WCS 260 Alloy Stem
    Ritchey WCS Carbon Low Riser Bars
    Spank Grips
    SDG Bel Air Saddle
    Hope Evo 2 Hubs
    Arch EX Hoops
    Dt Swiss Spokes
    Hope Floating Rotor's 160mm rear , 183mm front.
    Continetal XKINGS

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike 4.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	793032Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike 3.jpg 
Views:	520 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	793036Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike 9.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	793037Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike 11.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	793038Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike 7.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	793039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike 12.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	793040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike 13.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	793041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike 14.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	194.6 KB 
ID:	793042Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike 5.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	793043
    Was never a fan of green frames but Santa Cruz really did a good job on this one. Looks good.

I suggest you trim the steerer tube down though

I'm living the dream!
    Picked this frame up on the VPLS back in December. By far the best bike I’ve owned. Some of the parts are new and some were transferred over from my old bike. My only planned upgrades from what I currently have are tires and eventually a Float 34 fork. The 32 is fine for now but it’s much more flexy than my old RS Pike.

* Frame Size, Color & Shock: Santa Cruz Blur LTc, Large, Matte Black / Fox Float CTD Kashima
    * Fork: Fox 32 Float 150 RLC FIT 15QR Kashima
    * Brake, Front: Hope M4 183mm w/ floating rotors
    * Brake, Rear: Hope X2 160mm w/ floating rotors
    * Cranks: SRAM X.0 175mm w/ 34t MRP Bling Ring
    * Front Guide: E.13 XCX / Bionicon C-Guide
    * Rear Derailleur: SRAM X-9 Type 2
    * Shifter: Rear SRAM X.0 10 Speed
    * Pedals: Crank Bros. Candy 3
    * Stem: Thompson X4 90mm
    * Handlebar: Race Face SixC
    * Seatpost: KS LEV 125mm 30.9
    * Saddle: WTB Pure V
    * Bottom Bracket: Truvative GXP
    * Cassette: SRAM PG-1050, 11-36
    * Chain: SRAM PC-1051
    * Headset: Cane Creek 110 ZS Top 44mm / Bottom 49mm
    * Grips: ODI Rogue
    * Front Tire: Specialized Eskar2 2.3
    * Front Rim: Stan’s ZTR Flow
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Hadley 15mm
    * Rear Tire: Specialized Eskar 2.3
    * Rear Rim: Stan’s ZTR Flow
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: Hadley 10mm Bolt
    * Weight: 28ish?

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-imag0640c.jpgBlur LT Carbon Setup Thread-dsc02361c.jpgBlur LT Carbon Setup Thread-dsc02362a.jpgBlur LT Carbon Setup Thread-dsc02359c.jpgBlur LT Carbon Setup Thread-dsc02366c.jpgBlur LT Carbon Setup Thread-dsc02364c.jpgBlur LT Carbon Setup Thread-dsc02370c.jpg

Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast