Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    Formerly of Kent
    Hmmm. Good point about the BB height. I ride a HT 29er as my "main" bike, but it has a fairly normal BB height. This would push the BB higher than that, and stepover height might be a little too high with 650b.

I'll look into it.

mtbr member
    My LTc has 1CM lower BB height with fat 26" tires. Skinnier 650B tires will probably not even get it to spec, at least nothing that fits in the back. There is also little gain in wheel diameter to be had.

Measure your BB height.

Formerly of Kent
    Currently in AFG. I have the frame, fork, hubs, crank, etc. Nothing put together, so I couldn't measure anything even if I was in the country.

But, you're saying that something like a 2.35 will only be 1cm lower than a 650b tire?

Seems like there's not much of a discernable size difference, and parts availability will be much better with 26" wheels.

mtbr member

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread

I'm running a 2.35 Nobby Nic and it measures about 28.75 inches in diameter. So there can be quite a difference from a 26".

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    [QUOTE=TwoHeadsBrewing;10182285]I've been really happy with the e*Thirteen TRS+. It's what comes stock on the higher end Santa Cruz packages, and it's a pretty slick setup. Shark fin to keep the chain from dropping off the small ring, roller/guide to keep it from dropping off the top. And it has a taco bash guard underneath to save your big ring. Kind of a pain to get the spacing right, but once you do you just forget it's there and go ride.

That looks cool, Is the E13 BB Mount? What year is your Blur LT?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelak999 View Post
    That looks cool, Is the E13 BB Mount? What year is your Blur LT?
    The guide comes in either BB or ISCG mount. My Blur is the 2012 model, so since it has ISCG tabs that's what I got.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I've built two Blur LTC's with 650's, one for me and one for my buddy and we absolutely love them. To me, the increase in bottom bracket height went unnoticed after a ride or two but the increase in wheel size is definitely appreciated. I thought the 650 idea was stupid for a while (before I tried it) because it seemed like a minimal increase but you definitely notice it. My Tallboy C used to be my go-to bike when I had 26" wheels on my Blur but I hardly ride the Tallboy anymore.

As for bottom bracket height, mine is rougly 13 7/8" unloaded. My tires both measure about 27 3/4" tall (Ardent 2.25 and WTB Race 2.2).

Gangreen
    Aug 2008
    Le Duke: I just built a new LTc with a "dedicated" 650b front end (fork + wheel) and 26" rear (literally just picked it up, so no pics yet). I've experimented with a 650b Pivot Firebird conversion (front and rear) and found no perceivable downside as far as BB height. Maybe I'm just not good enough of a rider to sense the height increase, in which case, ignorance is bliss. However even the Firebird with it's massive tire clearance would only accept a Neo Moto 2.3 in the back and the tire just felt undergunned for SoCal conditions.

So I'm starting out with a 26" rim shod with a nice big Purgatory 2.2. I'd like to go for a bigger volume tire but for now it will do. BTW, the new bike has a Cane Creek 40 series headset...trouble free, nice looking and less expensive than the top drawer stuff. Pics to follow soon.

EDIT: Finally got a ride in on the 650/26 BLTc. Front end feels tall, light and a bit "floppy". I think it would be better with a 650b on the back, but that isn't in the cards for now. Back to a 26" front wheel for now.
    Last edited by nowshon; 02-28-2013 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Update

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    But, you're saying that something like a 2.35 will only be 1cm lower than a 650b tire?
    Seems like there's not much of a discernable size difference, and parts availability will be much better with 26" wheels.
    Yes and Yes. In my current 26x2.4 rear there is half inch clearance in the swingarm. If you go with a bigger wheel you still need some clearance, so that distance can go down to 1/4". This will also raise the bottom 1/4 inch (6mm). Since the bottom is already lower than spec by 1 CM, you still end up in a bike that is lower than the website charts.

That brings to your second point: There is not much difference in wheel diameter. There is a price to pay: Less parts availability and deals, less tire clearance for mud (I currently have 1/4" mud in swingarm), less rear travel, etc.

If you are into 650B a good buy is the X-Fusion Velvet fork, designed for 650B with no clearance issues.

Formerly of Kent
    How much clearance do you have between the rear tire and frame at full compression?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi, Im new to the site... just thought id post up my planned build. Im currently riding a 2011 santa cruz butcher. I was planning on getting one more year out of it until i saw the carbon blur frames on sale for such a steal! i plan on weighing my butcher before i build up the blur frame so i can see the weight diffrence. Anyway, Here is my planned build. Everything has been shipped and now im just doing the wonderful waiting game!

2012 Blur LTC (large)
    Fox Float 36 160 forks...(open bath, have been Pushed)
    Fox CTD rear shock
    Stans Flow rims laced to Chris King hubs
    Avid elixir 7 brakes( 180 or 160 on front and 160 rear)
    Continental Mountain king Protection tire...(tubeless 2.2 rear and 2.4 front)
    shimano XT crank (with single 34 tooth ring)
    strait line AMP pedals
    XTR 10 speed chain
    XT shadow pus medium cage rear derailleur
    xt 10 speed shifter
    xt cassette
    x-fusion hi lo post
    SDG FXR seat
    Chris king headset
    Funn Funnduro stem
    ODI ruffian lock on grips

Im sure i left off something... and i apologize for the random parts list in no particular order... what would you guys think the bike will weigh around using those parts??

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhood14 View Post
    Hi, Im new to the site... just thought id post up my planned build. Im currently riding a 2011 santa cruz butcher. I was planning on getting one more year out of it until i saw the carbon blur frames on sale for such a steal! i plan on weighing my butcher before i build up the blur frame so i can see the weight diffrence. Anyway, Here is my planned build. Everything has been shipped and now im just doing the wonderful waiting game!

2012 Blur LTC (large)
    Fox Float 36 160 forks...(open bath, have been Pushed)
    Fox CTD rear shock
    Stans Flow rims laced to Chris King hubs
    Avid elixir 7 brakes( 180 or 160 on front and 160 rear)
    Continental Mountain king Protection tire...(tubeless 2.2 rear and 2.4 front)
    shimano XT crank (with single 34 tooth ring)
    strait line AMP pedals
    XTR 10 speed chain
    XT shadow pus medium cage rear derailleur
    xt 10 speed shifter
    xt cassette
    x-fusion hi lo post
    SDG FXR seat
    Chris king headset
    Funn Funnduro stem
    ODI ruffian lock on grips

Im sure i left off something... and i apologize for the random parts list in no particular order... what would you guys think the bike will weigh around using those parts??
    I'd guess 28ish.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CLMcLovin View Post
    I'd guess 28ish.
    I have similar build on my TR at 28 lbs. You lose the 1.5ish lbs over me going 1x10 so that
    about cancels out the frame weight. I'd say you're just above 28 lbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Awesome! Thats around what i was hoping for... i really wanted a bike that climbs better than my butcher and a lighter build. Ive still got my 150mm revelation dual air forks i can throw on if i feel the 160s are to much. My butcher weighs 32.6 lbs on a bathroom scale so im definitely hoping to drop 4 lbs and a bit of it will be tire weight. Right now im running 2.2 and 2.4 trail king ust tires. Stupid heavy!!! Front tire is 1100 grams alone and the rear is around 850 i believe. With the mountain king protection tires im lookin at dropping up to 1 1/2 pounds of tire weight. Anyways... thanks for the response ill keep it updated once my parts start arriving!

Formerly of Kent
    Does anyone have any data on how much the Burgtec offset bushings a) change head angle for one vs. two bushings (you can do one bushing, or both bushings, correct?) and b) change total suspension travel?

I'd like to go 650b, drop the BB a hair, and still maintain the vast majority of the 140mm of rear wheel travel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Le Duke - I have one offset bushing (Proshox) in and the BB is between 13.4" and 13.5" depending on the tire profile/tread. I'd guess the HA is pretty close to 67*, but haven't confirmed it with a trust worthy tool. No difference in ride quality to me, and certainly no frame clearance issues.

Anyway, here's mine:

2012 Large Blur LTc
    2012 Fox 36 Float RLC set at 150 mm with PUSH'd high volume piston kit (hooray for full travel)
    XT cranks, 175 mm
    Time ATAC carbon body pedals
    36 tooth E13 ring
    Shimano 10 speed medium cage XTR clutch derailleur (<-- best thing since toilet paper and tampons)
    XT cassette 11 X 36
    XCX ST E13 chain guide
    XT brakes (not current gen, but previous model I believe), 160 mm rear, 180 front
    DT Swiss 5.10D hoops laced to 440 rear and Hadley front
    WTB Silverado saddle
    KS 950r dropper post
    Race Face Atlas bar cut down to 760 mm
    Thomson X4 50 mm stem
    Fox Float CTD Kashima shock
    Forte Pisgah 2.3 rubber, front and back

Checks in at a hair over 29 lbs. Could lose weight with the wheels & tires, but the dam rims won't die, and I'm not a fan of most narrower profile tires. Like to rock a carbon bar, but most of the wider models I'd prefer are way pricey. Great bike overall, especially for the sale price.
    Last edited by Will Murderface; 03-01-2013 at 07:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    2012 Medium Blur LTc
    2012 RS Revelation Dual Position Air 150mm
    Chris King Headset
    Truvativ Stylo Cranks 22-32-Bash, 175 mm
    Crank Brothers Candy 1
    SRAM X0 Rear Derailleur 9-Speed
    Sram 990 11-34T
    Sram X0 Shifters
    Magura Marta SL Brakes 160 mm rear, 180 front
    Stans Olympic ZTR 355 hoops laced to Chris King Hubs
    Fizik Gobi Saddle
    Thomson Elite Seat Post
    Easton Haven Carbon Low Rise Bar
    Thomson X4 70 mm stem
    Fox Float CTD Kashima shock
    Ardent 2.25 front, Ignitor 2.1 Rear, Tubeless
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-photo-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    25.6 lbs ^^^

Threading freely...
    Anyone went from the original RP23 to a new Kashima CTD Trail Adjust on their Blur LTC? Is it worth the upgrade? Thx.
    Threading lightly and respectfully wherever I want....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by polymathic View Post
    Anyone went from the original RP23 to a new Kashima CTD Trail Adjust on their Blur LTC? Is it worth the upgrade? Thx.
    My aluminum frame had RP23 and the LTc I got to replace it came with CTD. It was only $50 more than RP23 when you buy a frame. Much better shock, I got my $50 worth.

mtbr member

Just messing around...

I haven't ridden it yet...maybe this wknd. But the new numbers look very interesting, yeah?

Blur LTc - unshimmed...
    HTA: 69*
    BB: 13 3/4"
    160mm by Fox 36, and 140mm by Monarch RC3+, 2.4 Conti TK rear tire
    Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-blur-ltc-unshimmed-reduced.jpg

Blur LTc - shimmed down...
    HTA: 67*
    BB: 13 3/8"
    140mm by Fox 36, and 126mm by Monarch RC3+, 2.2 Conti TK rear tire
    Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-blur-ltc-shimmed-down-reduced.jpg
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Gangreen
    Aug 2008
    Yes indeed. Looking forward to results. Are those wheels set up tubeless? I'm curious how the Reynolds work -do they hold air and not burp as well as Stans?

Gangreen
    Aug 2008
    Yes indeed. Looking forward to results. Are those wheels set up tubeless? I'm curious how the Reynolds work -do they hold air and not burp as well as Stans?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nowshon View Post
    The Reynolds I have on there are the older MTN-C Specials that were being sold for $575 on Chainlove about a year ago. They came w/ qr and 15mm qr. But I found that you can get some DMR Revolver endcaps and turn them 20mm.
    The rims are NOT designed to be tubeless...no bead shelf. But I slapped in some Stans rubber strips and they seal up beautifully.
    Now, I'm looking for rear end caps to turn them into 142mm TA...but I don't think they'll go :/
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Blur LTc - unshimmed...
    HTA: 69*
    BB: 13 3/4"
    160mm by Fox 36, and 140mm by Monarch RC3+, 2.4 Conti TK rear tire
    How did you get 69* with 160mm fox 36 and that shock? Shouldn't it be slacker than spec (68) which is with a shorter fork?

Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast