Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Don't most reigns come with fox shocks? Are those shocks working better with the maestro?

Having had RP23 and CTD on the BLT, CTD > RP23. Better say, CTD >>>>> RP23. I never liked the 23.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    please delete. Thanks!
    Last edited by czajkowiakPL; 02-03-2013 at 04:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    a question to anyone who has ridden an aluminium nomad as well as a blur lt carbon.
    which one is a stiffer frame?

think clyde and XL frame with a 160 lyrik, and I'm trying to figure out which one would be more suitable in terms of stiffness.
    hope I'm not hijacking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p_cycle View Post
    a question to anyone who has ridden an aluminium nomad as well as a blur lt carbon.

think clyde and XL frame with a 160 lyrik, and I'm trying to figure out which one would be more suitable in terms of stiffness.
    hope I'm not hijacking.
    I've had Aluminium and Carbon Blur LT's and a Carbon Nomad, all with similar builds (aggressive AM build with 36's up front), and ridden alloy nomad. Both carbon bikes were a bit stiffer than the alloy versions, although not that much that it really made a huge difference. At the end of the day weight and geometry were the deciding factors for me. I currently back on the Blur LTc as I prefer the shorter wheelbase and handling. Easier to pop off things and more fun. Nomad was more point and shoot.
    PAINT IT BLACK

Ow!

hope I'm not hijacking.
    I have 2007? Nomad (Marz 66 RC2 170mm/Fox DHX 5.0 coil) and a Blur LTc (Marz 55 Micro Ti 160mm/Manitou Evolver). The LTc, to me, is much more stiff than the Nomad, and the Nomad is very stiff. I have never ridden a more stiff bike, especially in the rear triangle, than the Blur LTc.

But, I think they are different bikes for different uses. I find my LTc is more fun on my trails, which do not have extended downs, but lots of rocky ups and downs. Of course, it is fun to take the Nomad on these same trails--as grahamt said, more p and s.

You are not considering a Nomadc? Just a stiff as the LTc maybe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    nomad c is way off budget.
    ltc is within reach only because of the current sale.

I was thinking ltc, with an internal lower cup headset for my 160 1 1/8 lyrik, would keep geometry at around 150 normal headset equivalent and the rigidity of the 35mm fork. concerned about the seat angle with a 160 fork and that it will sit way into the travel.
    no extended downs here as well, but plenty rocky.

mtbr member
    Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-bltc4.jpg

I was thinking ltc, with an internal lower cup headset for my 160 1 1/8 lyrik, would keep geometry at around 150 normal headset equivalent and the rigidity of the 35mm fork. concerned about the seat angle with a 160 fork and that it will sit way into the travel.
    That's effectively my current setup but with 36's. You wont regret it.
    PAINT IT BLACK

Ow!

Quote Originally Posted by grahamt View Post
    That's effectively my current setup but with 36's. You wont regret it.
    Do you mean zero stack when you say internal? I am considering replacing the EC bottom with a ZS. I think this will work since my fork has a 1 1/8" steer tube.
    Last edited by clydecrash; 02-13-2013 at 11:16 AM. Reason: get rid of picture

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clydecrash View Post
    Do you mean zero stack when you say internal? I am considering replacing the EC bottom with a ZS. I think this will work since my fork has a 1 1/8" steer tube.
    I've got a zero stack ZS reducer with 1 1/8 steerer.
    PAINT IT BLACK

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    zero stack is what I meant indeed.
    ZS49/30 by cane creek to be exact. specs say 4mm height for the lower cup, and the sc official geo accounts for a 529 A-C and 15mm lower cup height.
    so in paper we have only 5mm increase in total stack with a 545 A-C 160 fork.
    pretty close I guess and grahamt verifies that.

Ow!
    I have decided to change to a ZS. Thanks for the replies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    NoC

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-blur-ltc-800x598-.jpg

blur ltc large
    RS Revelation Dual Air RLT Ti 150mm
    Fox Float ctd Kashima
    Mavic Crossmax St Wheelset
    Avid Elixir Brakes
    Sram x0 shifters
    Sram x9 Rear Mech
    Sram x7 Front Mech
    Shimano slx crankset
    Specialized Command Post Blacklite
    Raceface Sixc Bars
    Shimano trail spd pedals

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Can anyone recommend a chain retention device for a 2 x 10 chainset om my 2011 Blur LTc?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zelak999 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a chain retention device for a 2 x 10 chainset om my 2011 Blur LTc?
    Does your 2x10 setup have a bash guard or no?

i use a blackspire stinger bb mount on my 2x9 setup but i believe it requires a bash guard.

Ow!
    I use the Bion. C-guide on my LTc. It is working very well so far, but I would not be surprised if it gets ripped off on some ride. I use a bash/32/22 crank. Search the forums for other discussions on its use and failures. If you are using a double crank (no bash), I think MRP has made a device. Check them and the Santa Cruz site for info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Im using a XT M785 double crankset with 38 & 26 rings.
    Im not keen on the Bionicon and would rather get a E13 style thang.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Im using a XT M785 double crankset with 38 & 26 rings.
    Im not keen on the Bionicon and would rather get a E13 style thang.
    It appears your cranks are non bash compatible. The ltc doesn't have iscg mounts (unless you have the one they just released), so a bottom bracket mount is the only possibility. Don't Know of any that work without a bash guard. Have you considered trying a clutched rear derailleur like the shimano shadow or sram type 2. i hear they work pretty dang good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sra1218 View Post
    It appears your cranks are non bash compatible. The ltc doesn't have iscg mounts (unless you have the one they just released), so a bottom bracket mount is the only possibility. Don't Know of any that work without a bash guard. Have you considered trying a clutched rear derailleur like the shimano shadow or sram type 2. i hear they work pretty dang good.

Here is a solution

Blackspire - C4 SuperGod | Blackspire

Blackspire - STINGER | Blackspire

You need the bb stinger

Ow!
    Well, a BB mount can work, but you cannot really get the roller above the bottom of the crank (which you want to do). Others have used the stinger or similar, and kind of bashed the roller into the chainstay. There are some other threads on this.

I tried the shadow + on my XC HT which has a double crank. It worked OK, but it made the rear shifting not as easy (I use XTR shifters). I ended up turning the + off, and, yes, using a C-guide. But some really like the +.

ISCG mounts on the new LTc. Hmmm. Maybe they changed the chainstay a little so that a retention device works better. I seem to remember that Santa Cruz said on their site before for the "old" LTc that is wasn't really designed for a chain retention device.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah im not sure how they pulled it off but i know the new one has iscg mounts, angled grease ports to prevent damage, and a 142mm thru in the rear. I have heard they only added the 142 due to customer demand, and that they didn't even really notice a difference between the standard quick release and the 142 thru. Id love to have iscg on my blur ltc but it could be worse. Have you though of tryign the sram type 2 over the shadow? I love the feel of the x0 shifters. I bet paired with a type 2 would be pretty darn good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sra1218 View Post
    I have heard they only added the 142 due to customer demand, and that they didn't even really notice a difference between the standard quick release and the 142 thru.
    I will notice the difference every time the rear wheel moves in the dropout and the disc starts rubbing.

Formerly of Kent
    Starting to get parts together for my Blur LTc build.

So far:

Blur LTc frame w/CTD Kashima shock - Size Small
    DT Swiss EXM 150 carbon tapered
    DT Swiss 240s 15mm front, 10mm rear
    X9 crank w/ Chris King BB

Still deciding on 26" vs. 650b. Got plenty of time to do it, though. That's one good thing about being deployed to AFG. I can hunt for deals and make better decisions than I might make back home.

Also: Anyone have any good ideas for a zero stack, light weight headset that will fit this frame?
    Last edited by Le Duke; 02-21-2013 at 01:08 AM.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Starting to get parts together for my Blur LTc build.

So far:

Blur LTc frame w/CTD Kashima shock - Size Small
    DT Swiss EXM 150 carbon tapered
    DT Swiss 240s 15mm front, 10mm rear
    X9 crank w/ Chris King BB

Still deciding on 26" vs. 650b. Got plenty of time to do it, though. That's one good thing about being deployed to AFG. I can hunt for deals and make better decisions than I might make back home.

Also: Anyone have any good ideas for a zero stack, light weight headset that will fit this frame?
    Personally, there is no way I'd convert the BLT2 to a 650b. Lots of folks have and very few have stuck with it. The BB height is what kills it for most.

As for a headset, can't go wrong with Cane Creek or Chris King.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    I've been really happy with the e*Thirteen TRS+. It's what comes stock on the higher end Santa Cruz packages, and it's a pretty slick setup. Shark fin to keep the chain from dropping off the small ring, roller/guide to keep it from dropping off the top. And it has a taco bash guard underneath to save your big ring. Kind of a pain to get the spacing right, but once you do you just forget it's there and go ride.

Universal Cycles -- E-thirteen TRS+ Dual DMB Chain Guide

"Got everything you need?"

Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast