Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Pedalhead: I know,the gold's a little glitzy; but, I really like the pedals.

Jeffus: Don't know how it's riding - I'll see this weekend. I totally forgot about the cassette! The XTR cassette went with the other wheels to the 5.Spot. That's 24 grams (0.053 pounds) that I could 'weight-weenie' away.

Surfas: No problem with the Joplin. I just wasn't using it on the runs around here.

Black Ronin: Have you used the Formulas? No experience with them. The Magura's are really solid.

Indyfab25: Cool! Post it when you can.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Never have riden Formulas, sorry. But said that about The Ones because they would match your gold pedals, just for the fun of having them matching, just that! The Maguras are excelent and have stunning visuals, specially the vent discs! Currently I ride a pair of Ultimates and a pair of Elixirs. Planning on getting a pair of Formulas R1 for my 575 and for my upcoming Nomad a pair of The Ones or Hope Minis.

Like you, I was also running a Joplin on my 575, but although amazing, my 575 is set up as my XC machine, so wasn't using it that much, so a got the Thomson back and now the Joplin is reserved for the Nomad.

How's the bike behaving with the 36 upfront?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Rode the LTc for a couple of hours on Sunday and then gave it a walk for about 3/4's of a mile.

I was having fun at Paradise Valley (http://evergreenmtb.org/wiki/index.p...aradise_Valley) and dumped it just the wrong way on the Lloyd Trail (I think it was). The replaceable hanger bent below the 'fun' bolt and shoved the derailleur into the spokes. I removed the rear derailleur, put it out of the way, and wheeled out to the parking lot. I've read the caution about having an extra hanger with you; but, of course I didn't! They don't appear to be in stock anywhere. I'll see if it can be bent back in the interim. Same 'XC2 Drop Out' as on the XCc, by the way.

I think for a younger, stronger, rider the 36 would be great. For me, it's probably more fork then I need for around here on tight twisty singletrack. I'm considering trading down to the lighter 2010 Fox 32 TALAS 150 FIT RLC 15QR. Anybody want a good deal on the 36, PM me.

Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bring on the Funk!
    Mar 2007
    Try the 2010 Revelation 150mm. I'm really diggin' mine so far. It has pretty much replaced my 36 RC2 that I just sold today (and lost a pound in the process!). Sorry about the carnage...ouch!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzboy
    Try the 2010 Revelation 150mm. I'm really diggin' mine so far. It has pretty much replaced my 36 RC2 that I just sold today (and lost a pound in the process!). Sorry about the carnage...ouch!
    Jazzboy: Thanks, I'll take a look at it. Order a spare hanger for yours! Cheers.

mtbr member
    I recently built up an LT2 and am currently using the 2010 Fox 32 TALAS 150 FIT RLC 15QR.

For my style of riding it is a great combo, it is light, plush, and the geometry works well with 150mm travel. Awesome fork, and works well with the RP23.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alembicf1x
    I recently built up an LT2 and am currently using the 2010 Fox 32 TALAS 150 FIT RLC 15QR.

For my style of riding it is a great combo, it is light, plush, and the geometry works well with 150mm travel. Awesome fork, and works well with the RP23.
    Put my 36 Talas up for sale (http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...ct=36609&cat=8) and a 2010 32 Talas 150 FIT RLC 15QR is on the way. I think it will be a better fork for me.

Also, Veloce Velo bent my derailleur hanger back in shape. I ordered two new ones from Santa Cruz; so, I'll have a spare.

There's a chainstay protector that Santa Cruz is starting to put on the LTc. See the latest 'blog': http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/104bronson/

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll
    Put my 36 Talas up for sale (http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...ct=36609&cat=8) and a 2010 32 Talas 150 FIT RLC 15QR is on the way. I think it will be a better fork for me.

Also, Veloce Velo bent my derailleur hanger back in shape. I ordered two new ones from Santa Cruz; so, I'll have a spare.

There's a chainstay protector that Santa Cruz is starting to put on the LTc. See the latest 'blog': http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/104bronson/

Cheers.
    I think you will be pleased with the switch, IMO the other fork was slightly overkill for a bike like that.

I picked up another derailleur hanger from my LBS based on your post here, apparently these hangers are about as soft as cheese. Funny, I used to complain about no replaceable hangers when I had my Bullit, but I never bent it.

Be careful reusing a derailleur hanger that was bent, aluminum fatigues and fails after a couple of bend cycles.

mtbr member
    I won't be able to build it up for a few weeks yet, but this just arrived at my lbs (large frame size)...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Fantastic looking bike and frames. Due to work and travel I've been away from biking for the last year or so. My current stable consists of a blur classic and a blur lt. I sold my nomad when I realised I would have a chance to ride it for over a year.

I was planning to buy a Carbon LT at the end of the year and was suprised to find that the Australian distributor had a medium ex stock. I couldn't resist and it's now on it's way to my local bikeshop.

Planning to build it with Fox 32 Talas 150 RLC taper forks, my old CK isowheels with the new 15mm conversion and mostly XTR groupset.

This bike has a some new technology for me and I would appreciate a bit of technical assistance. Does the carbon frame need any headtube preparation or can the headset be pressed in out of the box? Also does CK make a headset to suit or do I need to buy a CK 1.5" for the lower cup and crown race and keep the Cane creek upper bearings.

Thanks in advance and will be posting pictures as the bike comes together in the next few weeks.

By the way I'm suprised at the lack of activity on the Blur carbon threads. As these bikes now readily available in the US?
    Last edited by mcoccia; 07-19-2009 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoccia
    By the way I'm suprised at the lack of activity on the Blur carbon threads. As these bikes now readily available in the US?
    agreed.
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

mtbr member
    >>Originally Posted by mcoccia
    By the way I'm suprised at the lack of activity on the Blur carbon threads. As these bikes now readily available in the US?<<<

I just dont think everybody is talking bout em.. I keep seeing a bunch on the trails.

Steve

mtbr member
    I finally picked my frame up from the shop today and will be building it up over the next few days (kids mean not much time). I'll be sure to post pics soon :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Anyone know what a LT carbon with XT build and 150 32 Talas weighs?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

NIce Blur LT Carbon...but

Does anyone know if SC will come out with a carbon Nomad?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rootsandrocks
    Does anyone know if SC will come out with a carbon Nomad?
    I think it is possible, since a lot of AM bikes got carbon versions for 2010. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see a Nomad carbon next year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Ibis mojo

Ibis will have a 6" travel frame soon. I wonder how much the carbon Nomad will be when it comes out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rootsandrocks
    Ibis will have a 6" travel frame soon. I wonder how much the carbon Nomad will be when it comes out.
    The Ibis Mojo HD. At 160, it is the same as the Nomad. I don't think SC will change the bike travel-wise, they haven't with the BLT and BLTc.

But this is the indication that this people is restless, and SC may come up with something soon. The BLTc is said to be way stronger than the regular BLT, so the Nomad is good candidate for a carbon rebirth.

mtbr member
    This thread needs more pictures! So here's one...

Last edited by Pedalhead; 08-06-2009 at 09:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Pedalhead funny how a load of bike bits can be so exciting you'll have to post more pics when its built

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffus
    Pedalhead funny how a load of bike bits can be so exciting you'll have to post more pics when its built
    Bike bits are always exciting when it's a new build . I'll definitely post pics when it's done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    All this speculation about carbon fiber trends is mouthwatering (the ibis mojo HD is a sexy ***** but imagine a 6-6.3'' carbon Nomad!) But based on the geometry, sweet looks, and the versatility of the Blur LTc, I think it does the best job of maintaining the best of either XC or AM without much compromise (based on setup/build) in either extreme.

That being said, how did the 32 tal. stack up against the 36 tal.? Is it better suited for the design intentions? And, besides the adjustibility, why did you choose the 32 tal. over the van or air? Im wondering if the increase weight is worth the optional modes and if there is any compromise on "plushness" with the 32 tal?

Also, I was just wondering, I know the fox float is perfect for this bike but would a DHX Air 5.0 be compatible with this bike for rougher AM terrain? Like the talas, i like the adjustability that the DHX Air shock affords a rider but am wondering if it falls short in any areas or if it could be used at all?

I just want a bike that can do it all (who doesn't) on the singletrack, climbing, and descending and no doubt this is the better overall platform to encompass all of that (moreso than the Nomad which is not as good a bridge given the travel set up to be 6"+ like a am/light fr and heavier in comparison).

mtbr member
    Considering the original geometry, the 32 TALAS at 5.5 inches (140mm) is spot on, because it is based on a 515mm A2C. But you can go 150 with the 32 FLOAT or TALAS 150 15QR or the new Revelation 150 U-Turn 20mm Maxle Lite. Both will provide a what you can call do-it-all performance and the bike will be well balanced. For a head-to-head TALAS Vs. Revelation U-Turn, go to this thread. Nice review.

But I'd go with the RP23. It will hold well rough terrain and will save you some grams. Not that 150 grams really matters, but for overall trail riding, even on hard riding, the RP23 can hold just fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalhead
    This thread needs more pictures! So here's one...

Some assembly required!

mtbr member
    I've finally finished the build of my LTc. It's torrential rain outside (again), so here are some interior pics for now. Oh, and yes, shortening the dropper post cable outer is on my list .

Frame: Santa Cruz Blur LT Carbon, large (black/silver)
    Rear Shock: 2010 Fox Float RP23
    Fork: Rock Shox Revelation 140mm Dual Air U-Turn Maxle light
    Saddle: WTB Rocket V Stealth
    Seatpost: PureRace Cobra i900 Remote
    Handlebar: Easton MonkeyLite XC, Low Rise, 685mm
    Stem: Thomson X4, 90mm 0 deg
    Grips: ODI lock-on (Rogue)
    Headset: Hope
    Shift Levers: SRAM X.0, trigger
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XT M771 Direct Mount
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.0, long cage
    Brakes: Hope Mono M4 183/205 w/ floating rotors & Goodridge hoses
    Crankset: Shimano XTR Hollowtech II Crankset FC-M970, 175mm
    Chain: SRAM PC-991
    Pedals: Time Atac XS Carbon (arriving tomorrow!)
    Cassette: Sram PG-990, 11-34t
    Wheelset: Mavic Crossmax SX
    Tires: Maxxis Advantage 2.1
    Tubes: Specialized

Weight: 28.7 lbs (I'll update this when the new pedals arrive...should drop a few ounces)

Check out the lovely carbon reflections...

Last edited by Pedalhead; 08-06-2009 at 09:35 AM.

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast