Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread

314K views 1K replies 254 participants last post by  beach_boy 
#1 ·
Won't actually be 'set up' for a couple of days; but, looks really sweet out of the box! 5.68 lbs. More to come. Thanks Zach at Competitive Cyclist.

Cheers.

Attachments

See less See more
#275 ·
#277 ·
I have similar damage. I have some on the non drive side too. I put high a few layers of quailty electrical tape (3m temflex) over the drive side for the chain slap. It just needs to be replaced every few weeks. That seems to work pretty well. As far as the damage, so far its only cosmetic (clearcoat and paint). That being said, the swing arm is clearly in harm's way. Hopefully its tough enough to be smacked into the occasional rock. Time will tell.

#278 ·
ALKIrider said:
Some of the chips look too big to be chain slap. I think it's a few bigger hits here and there. With less than 4 months of modest use, this do not bode well... Although I have to say: LUV the bike, it's a dream to ride
Those are not big chips. The drive side damage is all from chain slap, don't be fooled. Mine is in similar condition and was dinged up pretty good after the 1st week of riding.

#280 ·
I'm considering going 2 ring + MRP tensioner on my LTc (as I ran on my previous Fivespot) in readiness for a trip to the Alps in the summer. Is anyone using a chain tensioner on their LTc, or indeed alu LT? The chainstay is so low down that I wonder if there's even space to run one effectively.

#281 ·
I threw some Aircraft Leading Edge tape to wrap around my linkage. So far it's worked like a champ. I also threw out some on the down tube and chainstays as well. My roll of 50 yards cost me $10!

#282 ·
Another BLTc hits the trail...

Frame: Santa Cruz Blur LT Carbon, large
Rear Shock: Fox Float RP23
Fork: Rockshox Revelation DA 140mm, 20mm Maxle Lite TA, remote lockout
Saddle: Selle San Marco
Seatpost: Thomson Elite setback, 30.9
Seatpost Clamp: Santa Cruz
Handlebar: Easton MonkeyLite XC, Lo Rise, 685mm
Stem: Ritchey WCS 4-Axis, wet white, 90mm
Grips: Lizard Skin Northshore lock-ons
Headset: Cane Creek 110, CustomTapered z/s headset
Shift Levers: SRAM X.0, trigger
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT M771 Direct Mount
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.0, long cage
Derailleur Cables: Jagwire
Brakes: Avid XX 185mmF/160mmR
Crankset: Truvativ Noir 3.3 Crankset, 175mm
Chain: SRAM PC-991 Hollow Pin
Pedals: Crank Brothers custom Ti
Cassette: SRAM PC-990, 11-34t
Wheels: custom built DT Swiss XR400 rims, Chris King ISO hubs, Sapim CX-Ray spokes, blue Wheelsmith alloy nipples, Roval tubeless rim tape, Stans sealant
Tires: Maxxis Advantage 2.2 in.F, Maxxis Larsen TT 2.1 in R, converted to tubeless (Stan's)
Rear Skewer: Salsa blue, 10x135

25.5 lbs of pure fun!!!!

Attachments

#285 ·
I fitted some 36 Talas forks to my LTc last night. I'll be taking it for a ride tomorrow to see how I get along. The 140mm Revs I had previously felt a bit steep, and whilst tempted by the new 150mm revs, my upcoming trip to the Alps pushed me in the direction of a set of 2009 36's I found at a good price. Unfortunately I have to run a 160mm rotor for a few days until the adapter I ordered arrives, so that should make things interesting.

I'll measure the angles & stuff and post them for you guys soon as I found it hard to find much info out there on the 36/LTc combo.

Edit - I'll also post some comparison pics of the two builds :)

#286 ·
Pedalhead said:
I fitted some 36 Talas forks to my LTc last night. I'll be taking it for a ride tomorrow to see how I get along. The 140mm Revs I had previously felt a bit steep, and whilst tempted by the new 150mm revs, my upcoming trip to the Alps pushed me in the direction of a set of 2009 36's I found at a good price. Unfortunately I have to run a 160mm rotor for a few days until the adapter I ordered arrives, so that should make things interesting.

I'll measure the angles & stuff and post them for you guys soon as I found it hard to find much info out there on the 36/LTc combo.

Edit - I'll also post some comparison pics of the two builds :)
:thumbsup: nice! congrats!!!

#287 ·
Ok, as promised, some pics & figures on the 36 Talas forks I just put on my LTc. I really wanted to see how these would perform on the LTc on the climbs in particular, so I kinda gave them a baptism of fire over on the Malvern hills. 4000ft of vertical with all sorts of gradients really gave me the chance to test out whether I'd be prepared to give up the Revs & keep the 36s on here permanently.

Well the answer is definitely yes! The 36s definitely strike you as being taller than the Revs at the full 160mm (remember I'm coming from 2009, 140mm Revs). The 67 degree head angle is too slack for me for general flat/undulating trails, but point the bike downwards and the full 160 feels superb...the stiffness of the 36 forks plays with the super stiff frame much better than the Revs did, they really do feel like a great match in that regard. For most occasions, the 130mm setting is ideal for me. A nice 68 degree ha, I could ride them like that all day.

Predictably, things get a bit wandery on those really steep, walking pace type climbs, but the 100mm setting allowed me to get up pretty much anything the u-turn Revs could, including one crazy steep (albeit smooth) climb...the kind where the walkers around you are offering up encouragement and making comments like "is he going to ride up that?". Interestingly, I also found that the 36s feel pretty good even at 100mm...feels like you have a lot more than that available. I did notice a decrease in steering precision with the 36s though, which is to be expected with the longer track of these forks. Weight is also noticeable, but not a big deal for me as they're only a .5lb increase over my Revs. Going from some fixed travel 2010 Revs to these would be a lot more noticeable weight-wise.

Anyway, I'll definitely be keeping the 36s on here. Apart from being super impressed with their overall performance, the LTc is all about stiffness for me, and my forks no longer feel like the weak point. So, as promised, some head angle & BB height figures, and pics. I forgot to get a wheelbase reading. Happy to get one if anybody is interested.

2009 Fox 36 Talas RC2
  • Fork travel - - Head angle - - - - BB height
  • 160mm - - - - - - 67 - - - - - - - - - 33.1cm
  • 130mm - - - - - - 68 - - - - - - - - - 34.2cm
  • 100mm - - - - - - 69 - - - - - - - - - 35.2cm
Incidentally, the head angle with the Revs was around 68.7 ish (readings taken with an ipod touch so make of that what you will!)

2009 140mm Revs...

Fox 36 Talas @ 160mm

Fox 36 Talas @ 130mm

Fox 36 Talas @ 100mm

#289 ·
dirtmafia said:
Special Circumstances on the shock, going to give it a go, there is always the possibility of picking up a 8.5 x 2.5 fox rp23. The h3 has a bit shorter eye to eye and might be cool for some of the slalom trails around here. Wont know till I try it :p
have you ridden this shock yet? any feedback on the geometry with the shorter eye-to-eye?

Does anything hit/rub at full compression? I would think that with the fully compressed H3 would be 7.875-2.2 = 5.675"

compared to the stock RP23 at 8.5-2.5 = 6"

shorter by almost 3/8" [8mm] at full compression. I wouldn't think this would work, but I haven't hand my hands on a BLT yet.

#290 ·
Li'l Dave said:
I got it to work, you'd think I'd be savy enough to make it work, haha. She's a dirty one right now, the weather has sucked so bad my first rides have all pretty much been done in the rain. Soon though!!
/QUOTE]

Which Chainguide is that? looks like a gamut bashring, but it looks like it's a blackspire stinger? how's it working out? any hits to it instead of the bashring?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.