Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    certified mtb addict
    Can't go any bigger than XL with the blur!
    I've already dropped the stem height 10mm after that pic and it'll be going lower for sure. As I ordered online I got them to leave heaps of length on the steerer tube, just in case (as I saw on the geometry specs the headtube is shorter than my LT1). Long arms & legs are my reasons for the long post & stem. I did consider going for a shorter stem, but the 120mm is what's recommended by various fit calculators & it's what I've been comfortable with on my previous blurs. I like hill climbing so the long stem fits in with that too.

Threading freely...
    That makes sense. Online fit calculators made the same 120mm recommendation for me. But then I tried a much shorter stem and loved it. I do a lot of steep climbing, and have no issues once I adapted my position. I think it's worth at least trying a cheap short stem if you haven't already.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by polymathic
    That makes sense. Online fit calculators made the same 120mm recommendation for me. But then I tried a much shorter stem and loved it. I do a lot of steep climbing, and have no issues once I adapted my position. I think it's worth at least trying a cheap short stem if you haven't already.
    +1

Short stems and the smaller cockpit they provide have no effect on my climbing but enhance downhill and general bike feel immensely. As an old school XC race guy it took a while to make the transition but my XC race bike even has a short stem (and wide bars) now.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was on an xl heckler and tried the short stem thing. I felt it to be too cramped for the climbing and settled on a mid length at 90mm. I have found it to be a good trade off. That same stem will be going on an xl blur ltc as soon as it arrives. It's definitely worth the time to buy a cheap stem and try some different riding positions, but no sense in caving to trends if you have something that works for you.
    Last edited by westeast; 02-27-2011 at 08:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey Max, did you find a fix for the chain rub on front mech? I'm going with the same drivetrain setup. One more question, did you go with a long or medium cage RD? I'm thinking the medium is the way to go but worried the chain growth on VPP could be a problem for the RD capacity.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Gough
    There is one annoying thing however, which I've been unable to figure out the reason for or to rectify. I'm running the XTR Trail chainset with 26/38 rings, and a 10 speed 11-36 cassette. The front mech is an XTR direct mount, for use with the double rings (as specified by the Shimano agent). When pedalling in the 38T ring and any of the four biggest rear sprockets, the chain will hit the top inside of the mech cage (or the cable anchor arm) partway through the suspension travel. In the 36T sprocket I estimated this to be round about 60-65% travel, by measuring eye to eye distances with the shock free, at normal sag and at the point when the chain fouled the mech. The problem is less as I change up through the gears, but still exists. The front mech is adjusted correctly. Moving it up improves the situation but compromises shifting performace and chain security, and is clearly not the answer. Has anyone else encountered this? It bugs the hell out of me because it effectively means I can't use the big ring on lower speed, technical riding where I might find myself pedalling while the suspension is working more than a little bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs
    Hey Max, did you find a fix for the chain rub on front mech? I'm going with the same drivetrain setup. One more question, did you go with a long or medium cage RD? I'm thinking the medium is the way to go but worried the chain growth on VPP could be a problem for the RD capacity.

Thanks in advance.
    Lahrs,
    I've mated a X0 DM tall 2x10 frt mech to a 22/34T rings and 11-34 9spd stack and have not had rubbing issues. You just cannot sit the front mech right above the rings. There's a little hump on the inner derail plate that HAS to be above the chain while on the ring (34T). Once you have that, use the frt mech's throw limiting screws and cable tension/slack to adjust out the throw range. On a X0 trigger, I give the barrel adjstr 32 dedents of slack. Once the cbl is in the front mech and pulled tight, give the 32 dedents back to the cbl as slack and the whole thing will just fall into place.
    I know you're using XTR, but give this method a try. Good luck.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Seems rude not not put a pic and spec of mine up
    FRAME - Blur LT Carbon Large Green
    FORK - RockShox Revelation XX WC Dual Air 150mm Carbon Tapered 20mm Maxle Light
    SHOCK - Fox RP23 Boost Valve
    REAR DER - XTR M970
    FRONT DER - Shimano XT M771 Direct Mount
    SHIFTERS - XTR M970
    CRANKSET/BOTTOM BRACKET - XTR M970/Hope Stanless
    CASSETTE - XTR M970
    CHAIN - XTR M970
    BRAKESET - SAINT BR-810
    BARS - RaceFace SIXC Low Riser Carbon 31.8mm
    STEM - Thompson 80mm 31.8 clamp
    GRIPS - Superstar lock on
    HEADSET - Chris King 1.125-1.5” tapered
    SEATPOST - Crank Bros Joplin 3 30.9mm remote adjustable travel
    SEATPOST CLAMP - Santa Cruz QR
    SADDLE - Scott Ransom (OEM)
    RIMS - Mavic XM819
    HUBS - Hope Pro2 F/R (15mm front hub)
    SPOKES - DT Swiss 14/15 competition spokes plus aluminum nipples
    TIRES - Maxxxis Swampthing 2.35 ST Front 60a Rear ran tubeless
    TUBES - N/A
    PEDALS - Shimano DX 646
    WEIGHT - TBA (with this build it was 29.3lbs)

I'm waiting on new pedals, fitting summer tyres, new saddle and new rotors

new bike 9 by 99c5faa01725362d73494aff686e3664, on Flickr

new bike 9 by 99c5faa01725362d73494aff686e3664, on Flickr

new bike 3 by 99c5faa01725362d73494aff686e3664, on Flickr

new bike 6 by 99c5faa01725362d73494aff686e3664, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Very Nice, the first green one that I really like. Jealous!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-photo-5.jpg

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-photo-3.jpg

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-photo-2.jpg

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-photo-4.jpg
    Here is my new ride.

2011 LTc Large white w/ Fox RP23BV
    Rock Shox Revelation RTL Ti Dual Pos Air
    Mavic Crossmax ST wheelset
    Kenda Nevegal Tires 2.1 rear, 2.35 front
    X0 10 speed rear derailler
    X0 2x10 crankset 26/39
    X0 2 speed front derailler
    X0 2x10 trigger shifters
    X0-XG-1080 11-36 cassette
    X0 brakes 203 front, 185 rear rotors
    PC1091 chain
    Race Face SIXC carbon handlebar
    Thomson X4 90mm stem
    Chris King Inset tapered headset
    Chris King BB
    Lizard Skins Moab grips
    GD turbo seatpost
    Specialized Henge Expert saddle

Taking it to Arizona next week for its maiden voyage. haven't weighed it yet.
    Last edited by neblackb; 03-05-2011 at 09:55 PM.

mtbr member
    FRAME - '10 Blur LT Carbon, lrg
    FORK - 32 Float RLC 150, 1.125" straight
    SHOCK - Fox DHX Air 5 (from my Nomad MK1, RP is going to be Push'd to take out the platform)
    REAR DER - X0 med cage
    FRONT DER - X0 2x10
    SHIFTERS - X0 pods
    CRANKSET/BOTTOM BRACKET - XTR M970 w/ Blackspire Stinger
    CASSETTE - X0/PG990 11-34 9spd (Pink - 'cause Chainlove had them on sale)
    CHAIN - XTR/DA 7701
    BRAKESET - Avid Elixir CR Carbon w/ Juicy Carbon rr caliper & Goodridge hose
    BARS - Answer AM Carbon 720mm, 0.5 rise
    STEM - Thompson 95mm x 10 degree rise
    GRIPS - Oury Lock-on
    HEADSET - Chris King 1.125-1.5” tapered, Devolution base plate
    SEATPOST - RS Reverb 380mm
    SEATPOST CLAMP - Salsa Liplock
    SADDLE - WTB Rocket V silver/blk
    PEDALS - Time ATAC Carbon
    HOUSING - Avid Flak Jacket (full length where possible)

RIMS - Halo Freedom 28mm 32h
    HUBS - Hadley, 15mm TA, Ti driveshell
    SPOKES - DT Swiss 14g spokes, brass nips
    TIRES - Conti Rubber Queen Black Chili 2.4 UST frt, Hutchinson Baracuda 2.3 MRC UST w/ Stan's strip, tubeless

WEIGHT - >30lbs unweighed (those Halo Freedoms & UST tires are not very light!)

RIMS - DT Swiss 4.1D 32h
    HUBS - King ISO, 15mm TA, SS driveshell
    SPOKES - DT Swiss 14g spokes, brass nips (4 yr old wheels, not trued ONCE since build by me, and still perfect)
    TIRES - Conti Rubber Queen Black Chili 2.4 Folding w/ Stan's strip, tubeless

WEIGHT - 29.5lbs (bathroom scale method)

WHEELSET - Reynold MTN-C
    TIRES - Conti Rubber Queen Black Chili 2.4 Folding w/ Stan's strip, tubeless

WEIGHT - 28.5lbs (bathroom scale method)

Last edited by Pau11y; 03-25-2011 at 08:34 AM.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Threading freely...
    You did a great job on cable routing and putting on nice frame protection. I'm also glad to see I am not the only one with a Reverb on the LTC that goes all the way in, as if my frame is too large. I'll post a shot of my Steel Blue LTC when it isn't literally covered in mud. You can barely tell the color of mine.

mtbr member

BLTc in action

...I really think this bike can handle a 160mm 36 Float! As it is w/ a 150mm Float, it's a great XC bike. I lost it over the front of the bike in the rocks, where I feel if I had a 36, I could have rolled over that same section.

╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Threading freely...
    Pa11y, how do you like your Answer ProTaper Carbon bars? Been wanting longer carbon bars, and considering the ProTaper as well as the lighter Easton Haven's & the wider Race Face SixC.

mtbr member
    Pa11y, how do you like your Answer ProTaper Carbon bars? Been wanting longer carbon bars, and considering the ProTaper as well as the lighter Easton Haven's & the wider Race Face SixC.
    1st ride on them and I didn't notice anything outstanding bout them. This is a good thing! No flex, angle was fine, not too wide (I have a set of 745 Sunline V1s on my Nomad, and they're a bit too wide). It's mated to a 95mm x 10 degrees stem. As it sits, the bar level to saddle is dead even. I'm sitting on a 90mm x 5 degree AM stem that I'll put on to try later. It's white
    I may change the V1 to the Answer...need to try rotating the bar first. But that tiny extra bit of width creates a pressure spot in my wrists that gets a bit irritating on longer rides.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member

Chainring / grease fitting guard

Just putting the finishing touches on a new Blur LTc build and was wondering if anyone was using a chainring guard. Seems it would protect the grease fittings and keep the chain from popping off and damaging the frame. Looking at the XCG from MRP. http://www.mrpbike.com/buy.php?secti...roduct=2660671

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris442
    Just putting the finishing touches on a new Blur LTc build and was wondering if anyone was using a chainring guard. Seems it would protect the grease fittings and keep the chain from popping off and damaging the frame. Looking at the XCG from MRP. http://www.mrpbike.com/buy.php?secti...roduct=2660671

Check page 10 of this thread. I used a roller type to deal w/ chain management. And, on my maiden ride, the boomerang took a hit since it's not the lowest point off the BB. I'm perfectly OK w/ that, so long as it's not those grease ports
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Threading freely...
    Some have reported that the Blackspire Stinger BB mount can move and/or bend when it's hit, and cause major issues, trapping your chain, etc... How flimsy is the boomerang? And how loud is it?

mtbr member
    Seems like the bash guard may be a bad idea on the LTc. From what I have read on this thread they have come loose and done more damage than good. I don't care to run a roller type so I may just do without.
    "Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.

Threading freely...
    I agree. Got my damage that way.... But... in lieu of a big chainring a nice bolted bashguard is pretty nice.

mtbr member
    Just noticed that MRP is coming out with a new version shortly. 40T. Going to wait to see what this design looks like.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    BLUR LTC is a "BOSTA"

Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by reszqme
    So I have had my LTc since about November or so. Rode a Superlight for almost 10 years and will never look back with the Blur. Take a look and enjoy. This is a large with Crank Bros Cobalt Rims. I have never ridden a better bike, it far exceeds my abilities.

The entire gallery can be found here http://www.garysworld.net/Blur-LT-carbon

Along with hours of entertainment with the other galleries, but do be careful if you are at work.

Enjoy, Gary
    Coming to this late, but can you tell me the difference between this bike and the SL? I've been on a SL for 8 years, but am starting to feel the need for a bit plusher ride. Thanks.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    ...I really think this bike can handle a 160mm 36 Float! As it is w/ a 150mm Float, it's a great XC bike. I lost it over the front of the bike in the rocks, where I feel if I had a 36, I could have rolled over that same section.

What's the deal on the 15mm thru axle Reynolds wheels? Is that the new ones or did you re-lace?
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    What's the deal on the 15mm thru axle Reynolds wheels? Is that the new ones or did you re-lace?
    Not a relace. Chainlove had these "Reynolds MTN-C Special" on deal for $575. It came w/ the 15mm TA end caps. Contacted Reynolds and they said the "Specials" w/ the white hubs were capable of being converted, but the later black hubs weren't.
    Those endcaps were identical to DMR Revolver 20mm to 15mm adapter except they're red on the Revolver. From the shape of the hub body, I think they're pretty close to the I9s also. The rear hub looks a whole lot like the Hope Pro 2s, altho I don't know that Pro 2's were ever mfg'd w/ 24h drilling.
    I may relace these wheels w/ DT Competition spokes to gain some meat on the spokes. I'll just need to figure out what the nipple situation is...maybe the Hex ProLocs?
    Last edited by Pau11y; 03-25-2011 at 08:36 AM.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    May have a solution to protect those low-hanging carbon pivots: Race Face SixC rubber boots for their crank arms. Found/ordered some from BikeBling. I'll update this post when/if I'm able to get it put on the bike.
    Last edited by Pau11y; 03-25-2011 at 08:59 AM.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Pau11y how does that stinger hold up? Looks quite low, still work at keeping the chain on? Still debating whether to go 1x9 using either a superstar or an mrp lopes guide

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neil853
    Pau11y how does that stinger hold up? Looks quite low, still work at keeping the chain on? Still debating whether to go 1x9 using either a superstar or an mrp lopes guide
    There are some concerns on here of it moving and slamming into your stays, causing more damage than it prevents. Mine hasn't moved so I can't speak to that. It is low! I've already touched the tip on a rock. What I am a bit concerned about is if the arm bends from one of those touches.
    What I have noticed is it acts a bit like a rock shield. The leading side on mine is getting all sorts of dings. This is a GOOD thing! I wonder if it'd be worth my while to mount just an arm on the other side to do the same thing?
    I'm still waiting on the rubber crank boot to try and mount on the lowest pivot. I think I can be mounted around the axle (needs disassembly) as they come w/ pedal holes on both sides.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    good idea...if it works! keep us updated please!!
    May have a solution to protect those low-hanging carbon pivots: Race Face SixC rubber boots for their crank arms. Found/ordered some from BikeBling. I'll update this post when/if I'm able to get it put on the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ban
    ...w/ photos even
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    New plastic blur for me

hasn't been ridden yet, I was surprised by its weight at 25.08lbs (complete)
    will use for XC racing, 24hr solos and general lots of fun bike

I chose the LTC over the XCC because I used to have an Alloy LT2 and basically I missed it (even though I had an Alloy BXC and Nomad).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-img_2000.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-img_2002.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-img_2004.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-img_2012.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-img_2011.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-img_2005.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by VERT1
    New plastic blur for me

hasn't been ridden yet, I was surprised by its weight at 25.08lbs (complete)
    will use for XC racing, 24hr solos and general lots of fun bike

I chose the LTC over the XCC because I used to have an Alloy LT2 and basically I missed it (even though I had an Alloy BXC and Nomad).

That looks fantastic!!

mtbr member

Paint Chips

Just got my white LTc from Competitive Cyclist and noticed a paint chip and was wondering what everyone is using to touch up your bikes. Granted it is built to be ridden but I would like to touch up these areas as they happen. I am currently installing protective film to help prevent this in the future.

Threading freely...
    I've been meaning to suggest we start a new thread for Santa Cruz factory touch up paint matches, where we could share our finds. Started a thread here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...17#post7912317

mtbr member
    Great idea. I will post any input on the new thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

My Blur LTc

Blur LT Carbon

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Some have reported that the Blackspire Stinger BB mount can move and/or bend when it's hit, and cause major issues, trapping your chain, etc... How flimsy is the boomerang? And how loud is it?
    Ha! I just read this a day too late!

The exact same thing has happened with my Stinger - see photo. I don't even remember hitting it on anything, but the result is that the boomerang has taken a square edged gouge out of the chainstay in front of the metal protector - maybe 2mm x 3mm (5/64 x 1/8). I emailed the SCB importer here in NZ today to see what he recommends I do about it.

If I have to junk the swingarm I'll be well and truly bummed :O(
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-swingarm-damage.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

My Blur LTc

Blur LT Carbon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-s_myblur1.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-s_myblur2.jpg  

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread-s_myblur3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    CCTUAN - That is pretty sexy, not too sure about the blue spokes but everything is sweet

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRed
    CCTUAN - That is pretty sexy, not too sure about the blue spokes but everything is sweet
    Thanks. The weehsets are Spinergy Enduro (Blue)

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I am more concerned with the identity crisis it's having. Yeti grips???

mtbr member

Bad news

Quote Originally Posted by ban
    It doesn't matter if they work or not, no one will be able to get another pair until Titus/PlanetX buys what's left of Race Face...
    I think I found the last pair in the western hemisphere...
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Damienp
    I am more concerned with the identity crisis it's having. Yeti grips???
    Sharp eyes, that is actually an ODI grips with Yeti logo

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Built yesterday, first ride today

Med Blur LTc; King Headset; Rock Shox Rev's World Cup XX Dual Air 140mm; King hubs on Mavic 819's; Thomson 70mm Stem & Thomson Post; Easton Carbon Bar; WTB Rocket V Ti saddle; Full XTR 2 x 10 Groupset w/ Trail brakes; King BB

Weighs in at 26.5 lbs on bike shop scales

mtbr member
    transition from aluminum to carbon

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by l.j.silver
    transition from aluminum to carbon
    I like those rotors! What are they?
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    I like those rotors! What are they?

http://www.alligatorcables.com/titan...ID=7&KindID=19

mtbr member
    Wooo red! Thanx man!

╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    HI guys,

need some help and am sure You know the answer since the question is rather basic.

I have a Blur Ltc and need a headset - can't get any Cane Creek 110 here in Europe so I decided to get Chris King. I plan to ride a tapered fork so it seems to me that Chris King Inset 3 (i3) is the way to go.

What troubles me is that specs of both CK and CC say that ID of the lower headtube should be 49.57-49.61.mm but on my bike the bottom tube's ID is 49mm exactly? I presume that is quite normal but I need to get that confirmed before buying the headset.

thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borango
    What troubles me is that specs of both CK and CC say that ID of the lower headtube should be 49.57-49.61.mm but on my bike the bottom tube's ID is 49mm exactly? I presume that is quite normal but I need to get that confirmed before buying the headset.
    Did you mic it or just took a ruler up to the head tube?
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Did you mic it or just took a ruler up to the head tube?

no, I used a digital caliper....i bet it says "made in china" at the back

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast