Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread

314K views 1K replies 254 participants last post by  beach_boy 
#1 ·
Won't actually be 'set up' for a couple of days; but, looks really sweet out of the box! 5.68 lbs. More to come. Thanks Zach at Competitive Cyclist.

Cheers.

Attachments

See less See more
#253 ·
26 and Change

Santa Cruz Blur LT Carbon MD Black
Easton Haven Disc Front 15QR 6-bolt
Easton Haven Disc Rear 6-bolt
Continental Mountain King 2.4 UST
SRAM PG-990 Cassette 9-speed 11-34
SRAM PC-971 Chain 9 Speed
Shimano XT M771 F/Der. Direct Mount
SRAM X.O Rear Derailleur Carbon Long
SRAM X.0 Trigger Shifters
Shimano SIS Derailleur Housing Blk 8ft.
Avid Elixir Magnesium Disc Brake Front (335g)
Avid Elixir Magnesium Disc Brake Rear (335g)
Shimano XTR M970 Crankset 22x32x44 175mm
Chris King Head Set (Tapered)
Douglas Carbon 1-1/8" Headset Spacer Kit
Douglas Race Evolution Saddle White/grey
Thomson Seatpost 410mm 30.9mm Black
Easton Monkeylite XC Bar 31.8mm 40mm
Thompson 4x 31.8mm 90mm
Da Bomb Holy Shift Locking Grips
Fox Forx 32 Talas 150 FIT RLC QR15 (Tapered)

26.4 LBS. I'll be putting on some lighter pedals, but, hey . . .

Gonna try to sneak in a ride on Friday, weather permitting . . .
[/URL][/IMG]

#255 ·
Thanks! This is really my DREAM BIKE. The Easton Havens really complete the whole package. It's really a "cross mountain" build. We shall see how the wheels hold up (they're 24 spokes each!). Everything else will surely stand up to whatever my 43 year old overweight ass can throw at it!

#257 ·
mtbmatty10 said:
Looking for some feedback on what's working for others ....

I weigh 190lbs and I've added 160 PSI air pressure to the RP23 in order to get the recommended 18mm of sag in the shock. I'm finding, however, that this feels a bit harsh on the trail, especially at low speeds.

I've experimented with 150-155 PSI and the result was that the shock felt OK at slow speeds, but way too soft at higher speeds - in fact, the O-ring was knocked right off on several occassions.

I live in Vancouver and ride primarily "XC" on the North Shore, so the terrain tends to be slow, technical XC (roots, rocks galore) with some fairly large hits thrown in for good measure.

Just curious if anyone has found the magic sweet spot?
I live and ride in Vancouver as well and found that the shock/pivots needed a bit of time to get really plush. I would stick with the higher pressure, assuming your bike is fairly new and let the break in process do its magic.

Cheers

#258 ·
jazzboy said:
I live and ride in Vancouver as well and found that the shock/pivots needed a bit of time to get really plush. I would stick with the higher pressure, assuming your bike is fairly new and let the break in process do its magic.

Cheers
Thanks, jazzboy. I think this is sage advice. I've only had the new bike for a few weeks and have only really mustered 2-3 rides on it thus far. How long was your break-in process?

Have others experienced a break-in process with their RP23s on BLTc's? If so, how long did it take?

#259 ·
Make sure and figure out your ride weight, meaning with gear on and then make sure and use the different setting on the platform setting. Here is a good guide to set up below. Personally I run in the firmest pro pedal setting 3 for XC and all mtn at 155 lbs psi and my ride weight is 185lbs. For the DH section I flip off the propedal completely.

#261 ·
crazy4blues said:
Santa Cruz Blur LT Carbon MD Black
...Easton Haven Disc Front 15QR 6-bolt

SRAM PC-971 Chain 9 Speed

26.4 LBS. I'll be putting on some lighter pedals, but, hey . . .
Dude, sweet build--very nice. One comment/question however: your 971 chain seems out of place given the rest of the components you have. Did you go with a 971 over a 991 or a KMC chain for a specific reason....just curious....

#263 ·
cnewsome69 said:
Dude, sweet build--very nice. One comment/question however: your 971 chain seems out of place given the rest of the components you have. Did you go with a 971 over a 991 or a KMC chain for a specific reason....just curious....
Well, it's a package from Colorado cyclist. The whole bike is a sub $5k, so I know they "cut" some corners somewhere. The drive train is the quickest, most efficient I've ever experienced. When it's time for a new chain, I'll pop for the 991, but right now I'm cool . . .

#264 ·
rafiii said:
Guys what do you think about 50 mm stem and 685 bar combo on Blur ?
That would be pretty stubby.

If you're putting on a 160mm/36mm fork and are going to be doing a lot of light black diamond--you should probably get a Nomad (I hear a carbon one is imminent).

I am running a 90mm with one inch of rise from the headset and a 685mm (27") bar, and it's kinda compact. I have a 150/130/110 Talas, and it seems to work for me; I would NOT want to come back anymore. I'm 5',8" with "average" size arms. I used to run a 100mm and a 26" bar on my BLT first gen (same gem). I feel my current set-up is optimal. My saddle is basically neutral with a straight post.

#275 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.