mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Blur LT, bearing kit or propack kit

I have a 2007 Blur LT with some typical creaking going on. I was wondering if I should replace just the bearings or replace with the propack? Thanks for any information.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madriver16
    I have a 2007 Blur LT with some typical creaking going on. I was wondering if I should replace just the bearings or replace with the propack? Thanks for any information.
    have you taken the axle out and cleaned and regreased it? i've done this several times, and haven't had to get new bearings yet. creak doesnt mean bearings are shot, just means grease is gone.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    This has confused me as as far as I can make out the axle does not move relative to the link and the bearing inner race. The greasing just seems to make it easy to get the axle out for stripdown/clean. I didn't take my axles out when it started creaking big time- just tightened/loctite it all back up and it stops the creak. I think the creaking is just caused by slackness.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It's definitely worth removing the axels first and try greasing first. There are good instructions on the SC website, and all you need is a few allen wrenches and a soft rubber mallet if I remember correctly. From there, you can get your fingers around the inner races of the bearings and check to see if they're running smoothly or not and decide on the pro-pack investment.

After working on my 2005 Blur XC and 2007 Blur LT, I would suggest springing for the pro-pack if you think you've got enough miles to justify the investment or you find a few bearings running rough. One alternative is to buy some aftermarket bearings from someone else to replace the ones you think are worn.

Could save you some cash, and if you want to upgrade, you could snag some ceramic ones with longer life spans. Just check to make sure you match the number on the bearing with the number of the part you're ordering from the third party, or check with SC once you think you've found a match.

To properly service the bearings, you'll need to buy the tool kit to go with it. Alternatively, you can ask a bike shop to do pull and press them, but it's pretty simple if you read the instructions.

I chose to buy the tool since the cost for the service was roughly the same as an investment in the tool and my own skills. That said, some of the rear linkage bearings were really, really tough to get out.

Good luck dude!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thanks for the info, I will attempt cleaning and re-greasing the axle first. Does anyone know of any makers/companies of the ceramic after market bearings?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    enduro..