mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Blur LT 1 - 2007 pivot/pro pack bearing options - help!

I just had installed a new pro pack just a few months ago by Slippery Pig but I've already got play again. I'm big and I beat up this bike. Several shorter rides a week at S Mtn on Mormon and National and two long ones on the weekend, usually 20-30 miles each. I have been to Angelfire twice too (multiple days) for hard DH'ng, since the pro pack install.
    So, I am 200lbs, probably 220-230 all decked out. Does anyone have bearing dimensions because I think I need stronger stuff. So bearing dimensions or a lead on ceramic bearings or enduro bearings or anything stronger than the basic bearings?
    Sorry if this has been discussed previously but I could not find anything via a search. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Define play.
    Side to side knock when you grab the rear triangle?
    Clunking when you lift the bike by the seat?
    Creaking when pedaling?
    Did you retorque after the first few rides after replacement?
    Sometimes that needs done.
    Can you retorque now and eliminate slop?
    If your torque specs were correct and you didn't ride it with excess play in the linkage, you'll just need to replace as things wear out.
    Other things to check are wear in the linkage. You can wear out the lower link on older VPP frames easier than you might think.
    I wore out two lower links on my 2007 VP FREE before I switched to the newer forged link.

mtbr member
    Shock bushing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Slight side to side movement. tiny bit of clunking up and down when pulling up on the seat and holding the wheel down but noticeable. Axles are tight. regarding movement in the lower link, I know what loose is... that's why I ordered the pro pack in the first place. Both linkages are new... upper link and lower link, replaced at the same time. Definite movement in the lower link though. LBS told me everything went in well, I had done no damage to the frame itself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    No, the bushing is good. That's not where the play is.

mtbr member
    Based on the info you provided, only solution sounds like a new pro pak.
    Bearings are wear items, so time between replacement varies by rider.
    I haven't found any other bearings to provide better life or better performance than what SC specs, providing everything was installed correctly.
    I'd pull the lower link and eyeball it myself though. Running with slop in the linkage can wear out the older links. If your links are forged, they are less prone to that wear and tear.
    Did the shop loctite the bearings in place?
    Anytime I've had side to side play in the rear triangle on Santa Criz VPP + slight knock when the bike is lifted and I know the shock bushings are good, it's always come down to lower link. Either bearings or link were worn out.
    During heavy DH seasons, I've replaced pro packs on the older VPP frames as often as twice in 3 months.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    So no one has bearing dimensions/measurements?

mtbr member
    http://www.santacruz-pl.com/attachme...%20Classic.pdf

Specs on last page of doc.

AFAIK-all models of Blur used the same bearings through 2007.

You can also check Real Word Cycling for their packaged MAX bearing kit.

mtbr member
    I'd be real surprised if it weren't the shock mounting bolts and/or reducer wear. To wear out new bearings like that just doesn't happen unless the rear triangle is not moving straight in line with the front triangle thus side-loading the bearings which I've seen before too (check by eyeing it with the shock off and moving the rear triangle thru full range).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbbarney View Post
    Both linkages are new... upper link and lower link, replaced at the same time. Definite movement in the lower link though. LBS told me everything went in well, I had done no damage to the frame itself.
    You shouldn't be seeing movement and slop in the link unless something is severely worn out or loose.

1.Have you inspected the bearings to see if they are running smooth? Pull the axles and rotate the bearings to check for abnormal wear. It could be that the shop overtightened or didn't tighten things down enough and that caused the premature wear on the bearings. Incorrect adjustment can kill bearings quickly.

2. Did the shop loctite the bearings in place with the correct loctite for the job? This is an older frame. If it's had a few bearing replacements already or even one incorrectly done bearing replacement, there can be wear to the frame that you can't see just by eyeballing it. Aluminum frame + bearing = the bearing wins when it's pressed incorrectly. No loctite for press fit can mean sloppy fit. Add in riding on sloppy fit and loose linkage and things can wear out quick-frame, links, bearings.