mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Blur Classic Chain problems

Just got back from riding yesterday and my chain started skipping and then pop the chain broke again that is the fourth chain i have put on this bike since i got it a year ago but to make matters worse it toke my rear derailluer with it. I quess one of the links caught it and pulled it till it snapped. So my question is........ Is anyone else having this problem and if so how did they solve it. This is getting to be a very expensive problem

T

mtbr member
    What chain/rear derailleur was it? Shimano? SRAM? What sizes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    it was a shimano long cage

Fastal
    Have you checked the teeth on your front cranks + rear cassette for wear? I've had a missing tooth on my middle ring help break a chain. Also, a bent/misaligned dropout can cause serious chain problems.

mtbr member
    Search for skipping chain and you will find a couple of lengthy threads. What I can tell you for myself is that I've battled skip on 2 Blurs for 3 years. It is not frame, nor is it der type, necessarily. What you could check are the basics to incude proper alignment of the rear der, good cables, clean, lubed chain and not worn out cassette. Assuming that does not do it, I would assume it is der hanger alignment. They are often not perfect out of the box. Everytime mine skips, I realign the der. hanger and it's better. The good news about replacable der. hangers is that they are softer then the frame and in event of wreck, save your frame. Bad news, they bend, often and not always easy to see by eye. Take it to a shop, or invest in a $50 tool to do it yourself. It is a much needed part to retain frame integrity in event of crash, but requires some maint to ensure smooth shifting. I just fixed mine this weekend and it was smooth as butter today. My theory is that the higher up the cassette, the more skipping as the effect of a hanger likely bent inward (due to laying the bike down on the 'wrong' side or just brushing a tree/rock, etc) will be amplfied as the der moves further inward. Anyway, just my experience and $.02.