mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Blur Classic 5th Element Air bushing R&R

Hello everyone!

Any advice on how to remove and replace the eyelet bushings on a 5th Element Air on my SC Blur Classic? I have the new bushings already. Do they press out, or is there another technique I should use?

Bike has been faultless for two years of hard cross country riding in NorCal, but now there's the slight "tweak" of a little free play somewhere in the rear suspension, only in the up-down plane (not side-side or diagonal slop). I suspect it's the shock bushings... anyone else have this happen?

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

mtbr member
    It's not too easy without the service center tools, but you can use a 16mm 12 point socket and something that is just under 16mm OD to press the bearings in/out. Doing the top bearing may be challenging because the radius of the cap comes right up agains the eyelt. It helps to grind off one side of the socket for that part of the operation. When pressing them in, obviously you won't need the 16mm 12 point socket, but whatever you use to press the bearing in HAS to press it in by the RACE, not the ball. Any axial pressure on the ball will damage the bearing and make your brand new ones sloppy too. I've managed to find 5/8" (just under 16mm) thin walled tubing here and there and that works real well.

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman