mtbr member
    May 2005

Blur Classic (2005) vs Blur LT1 (2007)

Folks,

My 2005 Blur Classic has come down with a case of the cracks, to which Santa Cruz has graciously offered me a Blur LT1 crash replacement for my front triangle for a negligible amount of money (rear shock and triangle are fully compatible). I've got a 100mm Fox Fork with a mix of 2006/2007 XTR across the board, and some fairly light wheels (ZTR 355s to King ISOs).

My question is simply this: what should I expect from the new frame compared to my current configuration? I'm about 160lbs with my gear on, and have no complaints with my bike today. My fear is that the new slacker geometry will feel a bit weird until I add a longer travel fork into the mix.

I figure I'll race/ride the rest of the season with this configuration, then migrate some newer trail oriented parts for some abuse over the winter and spring. For next season, do you think I'll have fallen in love with the new geometry or will I be itching to get an XC-specific frame to rekindle my Blur Classic heartache?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I had both of those frames and I really liked the slack head tube angle of the LT. I liked the original but thought it was a bit twitchy at speed and the LT climbed the same. I say get a 140mm fork and keep the light parts and enjoy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ...any chance you can disclose what that negligible amount of money was?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    where are the cracks on the classic?.... any pictures?