mtbr member
    May 2006

Blur 4X vs Nomad

Bit of a long winded first post, but oh well.

I own a Blur 4X and am thinking about getting a Nomad instead. I have a Chameleon for DJ's and a V10 for racing. Its all the non-shuttle/chairlift riding that I'm thinking about here.

I'm about to move from Australia to Vancouver. In Oz, there isn't much in the way of difficult XC riding. It's either a DH race track or groomed XC track, with no real in-between. A Blur 4X is plenty of travel for anything that I don't shuttle.

Having lived in Canada before (mostly Calgary, but have visited the Shore etc) I'm wondering if I might find the Blur 4X a bit light on travel for all those awesome trails I'm going to need to climb to the top that will be better than most of our DH tracks in Oz.

My dillema stems from the following...

I have done a lot of DH racing on a HT, so I've discovered you can hit just about anything on one that you can on a DH bike. Comparing times on some tracks, they are not that far off on the HT. This is why I have the niggling feeling that maybe the 4X will be totally fine.

But on the other hand, I love the feeling of ripping a DH track on a DH bike, and the 4X is much further from a DH bike than a Nomad. Therein lies the quandry...

Lastly, I heard the Nomad is going 1.5HT, is this true? Any word on other changes, such as 150x12 rear? Thanks in advance for feedback.
    Last edited by kramster; 05-12-2007 at 05:21 AM.

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Hey, awesome vocabulary

I would say you should keep the blur for the meantime and really get a feel for how it does in Vancouver before you make any decisions.

The new 2007 Nomad does have a 1.5 HT and supposedly they are currently shipping out. I don't know of any other changes but you could always e-mail or call Santa Cruz they are very helpful.

The Nomad is definitely a good medium between a V10 and Blur if you're looking the perfect all around bike. I currently have a VP Free which I find actually pedals damn well. I have yet to ride a Nomad but I can assume it pedals slightly better with the lesser travel.

Whether you choose to get the Nomad or keep the Blur, I'm sure you'll have fun on either one

Members who have read this thread: 0