mtbr member
    May 2005

Blur 4X/Trailbike

Ride trails or race 4x?

Last edited by Gripo; 02-04-2006 at 04:44 PM.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Good question...searching for an answer myself.
    I am immune to your disdain.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Found it...

mtbr member
    May 2005

short & sweet

works as designed ie. great on a bmx track..turns like it's on rails, can confidently jump it and works as a trailbike

essentially an angle tweaked, beefed up blur anyways

don't put anymore than 130mm fork on it cause it will slow down the steering too much and effects it's hill climbing ability (100mm would be perfect or a TALAS type fork)

take a camlebak, cause there's no tabs for a drink holder.

why are you considering the blur anyways indyfab25?
    Last edited by Gripo; 03-17-2006 at 12:01 AM.

Got A Lust for Life...
    I would like to try something different. I have been riding a heckler for almost eight years now(two different gens). The trails around my area are very tight singletrack with a lot of quick, very tight turns. The 4x would be right at home on the trails I ride. I adore my heckler but I would like something that doesn't squat so much when I stand and give it hell. Not that the heckler is that bad...it isn't. The 5th coil is great for that. The heckler is going back to SC due to the main pivot being out of whack and if possible, I might go with a VPP. My main XC bike is a Kona Unit at the moment. So the XC bike is taken care of. Likely, I will stick with the heckler. I love the thing and no pivot troubles. Just weighing my options and doing some research. I have figured the ideal bike for me would be a 4x with a 69 head angle with 130mm fork. A stong, quick bike that mimics my heckler's handling without the drawbacks of the single pivot(I know, there aren't many). Don't get me wrong here. The single pivot is good. But I want to give VPP a shot. If I could persuade SC to make me one custom, I would do it in a minute. That is likely not an option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I was using a stock 02 Trek Fuel 90 for a few years as my XC/Trail bike and had a Demo 9 as a DH/FR bike. Last summer I built up a stock Blur 4X with Saint cranks and two ring-bash guard up front, also a 50mm stem. I sold the Fuel and the Demo 9 while waiting for my new Free to arrive.

I used the 4X for the local lift access riding and for XC/Trail. It's quickly become my favorite do-it all bike for XC, ski hill DH (obviously more rough than a DH bike but so much more fun in the air) and for jumps. I usually get new frames every year and this has got to be the most exciting bike I've been on in recent years .... very fun.

Got A Lust for Life...
    What is your average length xc ride? I am curious how it handles climbs. Any thoughts? Which fork are you running and how does it compare to the fuel on long XC rides as far as comfort?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My average xc rides are anywhere between 1-2 hrs and I do ride at a fairly quick pace. I'm running a Pike Team up front and prefer it at max travel for the climbs. Weight wise the Fuel and 4X are fairly similar so it's just the geometry that's the big difference. I can still ride all the same trails as the Fuel but it is more work on the climbs for sure. However, on the decents it rocks!

I routinely pedal my big bikes (demo 9 for example) up steepish stuff so I'm used to riding a heavier, more slack bike uphill. I just swap pedals from clipless to flats depending on the riding I'm doing.

I ride a large 4X (I'm 5'11") and I find it's a long and low bike. Any more questions ask away.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Yo Kootenay,
    I am particularly concerned with the long ride comfort. I too am used to climbing with a slack bike(heckler w/Z1). Do you have your seatpost at normal height? I am 5'10" so I would run a 90-100mm stem. What is your setup? The trails around here are rocky, rooty, and have a LOT of tight, sweeping turns. A bunch of my friends ride Rush's and they too are long low bikes(they share the same seattube angle/bb height/wheelbase-close- as the 4X). I am thinking the slightly slacker headtube will not be an issue. I will likely be running a 100mm fork so it will be about the same head angle as my heckler. I guess the question is this, would you think twice about doing a 30 miler with it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    For XC riding I put on the clipless pedals and jack the seatpost up nice and high ... I use a 50mm stem and had to add spacers to raise the handlebars to a decent height. With the Pike cranked down for climbing I find the front is too low so I like it set at max travel.

For a 30miler, I'd switch to a longer stem and add a large chain ring in place of the bash guard.

Got A Lust for Life...
    That is what I am looking for. Again, I would throw a 90mm stem on it and call it good for everything. I think a lot of people are sleeping on this bike as a do it all. Now, I just have to decide whether or not to actually go through with it. The VPP links have me a bit skiddish. The thought of being able to rail every corner and actually stand on the pedals and sprint efficiently(something the heckler simply does not do well regardless of what some say) to the next might just overcome my fears. Then again...what are warrantees for?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The only disadvantage I have found on the 4X is that it's BB is VERY low. Other than that - great bike, great geometry.