mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Blur 4x to a ??? Nickel or Nomad

Hey Guys,

I currently own a 2008 Blur 4x Large and I am in the market for a new bike/or frame.

I just moved out to Maine from Minnesota and was pleased to find an increase in FR/AM trails. Minnesota was rather flat so I had bought a blur 4x for an aggressive trail bike that allowed me to enjoy the few downhill areas in the state well not killing me on the climbs. Only real dislike on this bike is the extremely low BB which results me sometimes hitting the pedals on the ground when suspension is mid stroke.

Now that I have more jumps and DH stuff to ride in Maine I am wondering if a change to the Nickel will allow for me to push the bike a little harder without getting too far away from being able to climb as well.

Would I be able to push the Nickel harder on jumps and drops than the 4x? If not, is the nomad too much bike for flatter xc trails? Or, can I stay with the 4x knowing that this frame can be pushed pretty hard for a 4inch travel? ( thinking 10+ gaps and 8+ drops to tran)

Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ohpaddler View Post
    Hey Guys,

I currently own a 2008 Blur 4x Large and I am in the market for a new bike/or frame.

I just moved out to Maine from Minnesota and was pleased to find an increase in FR/AM trails. Minnesota was rather flat so I had bought a blur 4x for an aggressive trail bike that allowed me to enjoy the few downhill areas in the state well not killing me on the climbs. Only real dislike on this bike is the extremely low BB which results me sometimes hitting the pedals on the ground when suspension is mid stroke.

Now that I have more jumps and DH stuff to ride in Maine I am wondering if a change to the Nickel will allow for me to push the bike a little harder without getting too far away from being able to climb as well.

Would I be able to push the Nickel harder on jumps and drops than the 4x? If not, is the nomad too much bike for flatter xc trails? Or, can I stay with the 4x knowing that this frame can be pushed pretty hard for a 4inch travel? ( thinking 10+ gaps and 8+ drops to tran)

Thanks for your help.
    Where in Maine are you doing DH? (I live in New Gloucester, Cumberland County)

mtbr member
    seems like you ought to be considering a Butcher instead of a Nickel. or a Nomad. 8 foot drops would probably be ok on a Nickel, but Im not sure thats the kind of riding it was designed to do. Probably more in the realm of the Nomad or Butcher.

Either of those bikes is 'overkill' on flat XC trails, but you could argue that almost any full suspension bike is overkill for a flat trail. You can probably build a Nomad up lighter than your 4x (especially if you went carbon) if youre that worried about climbing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    weight isn't a huge issue as I am not trying to win any races, just want a bike that can keep as much speed as possible on the flats, ( prob half to do with weight and half to do with overall suspension design and travel)

It seems like every step towards a better fr bike ( butcher or nomand) is further away from for a flat trail bike. It is going to be hard to find one bike that does both very well, but I am hoping that I can settle on one that can do both equally as well.

Would beffing up a nickel help in the drops? thur axel rear and 20mm upfront? or is it more on frame design then components?

Thank you,

mtbr member
    My LBS Santa Cruz dealer told me that the Nickel is a west coast bike. He gave up trying to sell them. Those who don't want the Blur get the Nomad. The Butcher has become a lower cost option for those who can't afford the Nomad. I'm also in New England and flats here mean rocks and roots. I'd go with the bigger bikes.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    I live/ride in the Old Town/Orono area of Maine and really like my Nickel. While I don't even come close to 8' drops, it does handle all the roots I can throw at it with a smile. Pedals very efficiently. With drops that big, you may want more than just 5 inches of travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If I was to remove the comment on drops would that change anything on recommendations?

( I haven't been to Highland, sunday river or burke to see how big the drops are or how the trannys look, I just threw a guess out there on potential max size.)

Either way am I coming up a little short for NE riding with a 4 inch rig?

mtbr member
    demo a couple while your up here, and see what feels best under your butt. Fitting your riding style may prove more important than overall inches. Ski Rack in Bangor has nice selection of demos

Swedetarded
    If I was to remove the comment on drops would that change anything on recommendations?
    Maybe? While the Nickel is seriously burly for XC, I wouldn't push mine quite as far as you mentioned. Yes, I have had my Nickel on the chairlift, but I only ran the flow and jump trails, no black or expert trails.

I will echo what has already been said. If you are going to push the bike that hard, go Butcher or Nomad (carbon if you can afford it).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I had an 06 4x, and now ride a nomad. The 4x frame has a VP Free down tube. It's very stout and was designed to case doubles. THe nickel was designed to for trail riding and efficient pedaling.

That said, the nickel weighs nearly 7lbs. It's no feather weight trail bike. I'll bet it can handle a lot more abuse than people think. It's the same weight as a nomad. Check SC site: nickel and nomad weigh 6.9lbs same shock. Both frames are made of the same grade aluminum, APP rear triangles need to be beefed up compared to VPP to maintain equal rigidity, so I'm assuming there's a bit more material in the nomad front triangle, but it can't be much. I wouldn't be worried about hucking a nickel unless I was heavy and dropping to ugly landers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    I had an 06 4x, and now ride a nomad. The 4x frame has a VP Free down tube. It's very stout and was designed to case doubles. THe nickel was designed to for trail riding and efficient pedaling.
    Thanks for the help. how does the Nomad do on the xc style stuff vs. the blur you had?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the help. how does the Nomad do on the xc style stuff vs. the blur you had?
    The 4x and nomad are so different it's hard to compare the two. The nomad can be pedaled all day on xc trails but it really wants to be ridden hard. You may feel like you're over biked at times depending on your definition of xc style trails. Depending on what fork is on your 4x, Head angle will probably be the same or the nomad may be steeper which will help it perform better on xc trails

I think the Nomad will perform better than a 4x in every aspect of the game other than park style trails.

You'll climb better with the nomad thanks to the taller BB and plusher suspension that will track the ground better than the tight 4x. I remember the 4x sprinting very well thanks to the tight suspension, but it struggled when it came to slow tech climbs. The 4x is a great bike, it's just an odd duck that's not really all that at home when it comes to general trail riding, whereas the nomad is pretty much at home in any environment or riding style.

In my mind, the 4x is a bike that can be used on the trails, but it really just wants to air out some doubles, rail some berms, and work on tricks. The nomad will do these things and much much more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I had a butcher and now a nomad...the vpp pedals better and feels deeper than the app in my opinion. I am very impressed with the nomad. I think it will have the widest range of the bikes that have been mentioned. I think it rides surprisingly well on xc trails and really opens up when the riding gets active.

mtbr member
    If you can swing it, I'd consider the TRc as well.

mtbr member
    You never want to be begging for more suspension and the Nomads legs will keep you happy! With a lighter build and the correct tires and suspension setup, it will roll with the best of XC bikes and tear em a new one on the downhill! Its truly a do it all beast, GO NOMAD and dont look back!!!

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    going to say the Nomad as well I had a Blur LTC and switched to a Nomad Carbon (moving) and have ave been floored by the performance of the Nomad. its is easily as good as a trail bike as the Blur LTC but does the rough stuff WAY better! I feel that is carries speed better through every section of trail that i have had it on thus far which was something thing that i was a bit worried about when i switched.

Trail Junkie
    I was going to suggest the Blur TRc, Nomad, or the Butcher, but if chose the TRc (low bb too) 650b it
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I agree with socalMX - go with the nomad!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Seems like nomad is the answer.

Now I wanted to try and ask this group of people because they seem knowledgeable on the topic and im sure some answers will be a bit biase because we are on a SC forum but if I am looking in the realm of a nomand, is there anything that would fit my needs better as an xc/am and light park bike?

mtbr member
    Not necessarily better but every top manufacturer has great bikes in that genre. Ibis, Yeti, Spec, Giant, Trek etc. all have bikes capable of doing the type of riding you're looking at. The Nomad is great and I doubt you'd be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    nomad. best bike ive ever owned. works everywhere. makes you scout more fun lines on normal xc riding, can handle anything you can throw at it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    Not necessarily better but every top manufacturer has great bikes in that genre. Ibis, Yeti, Spec, Giant, Trek etc. all have bikes capable of doing the type of riding you're looking at. The Nomad is great and I doubt you'd be disappointed.
    I agree with the above. As a biased nomad owner the reason that the bike is a great fit for me is versatility. When you consider the 1.5 head tube, the ability to run air or coil from multiple manufacturers, the ability to use a push link to change the shock leverage ratio, and the range of weights that this bike can be built at you have a lot of options. My bike pedals well and can feel snappy with my rp23 or deep and plush with my link and coil. I'm a fan of riding a bigger bike than is prob needed so the nomad is fine for me on our local xc stuff. Other big bikes I have considered were the enduro, sx trail, firebird and mojo hd. The thing that I didn't like about the specialized was the inability to play with shock setups and I didn't think they would pedal as well and snappy as the vpp. The firebird looks sick for the descending but same story. The mojo hd has the ability to reduce the rear travel to 140 which is cool but my heart was set on the nomad. Good luck on deciding...picking a new bike is fun.