mtbr member
    Aug 2008

BLT2: Small or Medium Frame?

Well I've been out of mountain biking for a while (10yrs) but I am planing to jump back in, mainly cross country with some added spice every now and then. My skill level will be beginner. I've got my eye on the BLT2, just not sure what size frame I should get. I'm 5'5.5" and seem to be at the cross over point from small to medium per the chart. Inseam is about 27", I wear a 32" shirt sleeve. I just want to make sure I make the right choice here, looking for little guidance. Would you stretch into the medium or stay compact in the small?

Thanks,

Marc

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Small.

Back in the 90s I brought a Proflex full suspension at size large, I am 5'8.

The bike was always a bit big for me, especially when it goes downhill. Even with the curved top tup, it was still kind of on the harder side to handle for everything.

You will enjoy the small on the many technical rides and also when your skills advance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks Loll!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm 5'6' and have the small - it is perfect.

mtbr member
    5'6" and small, also perfect.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'6" too and been lusting a santa cruz for most of this past year. The local shop had been pushing me toward the mediums. About 2 months ago though tey had a demo truch so I was able to try out Hecklers, BLT2s and Nomads (not the new model) in small and medium. In each case I tried the medium first. They stuck on a super short stem and off I went. Basically they all "fit" but with the short stem I felt too far back on the bike, and most notably I could not climb well. The smalls felt more natural, I was able to keep the front end down on climbs and the bikes were marginally easier to throw around.

A small is in my future.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for all the input everyone....before dropping the $$$ it was very comforting to see what others of similar size were doing.

I have my Black Anno BLT2 coming in a week. I got the X9AM package, Fox Float32 RLC, Fox Float RP23. Small Frame

I also spoke the a few people at Santa Cruz...the general consensus was to go with a small frame as well. They said I could always get a longer stem if things were cramped and all agreed I would benefit in the tighter turns and have an easier time pointing the bike where I want to go.

I'll post some pics when it arrives...assuming I allow myself to actually get off the thing to take a few snaps....

Regards,

Marc