Thread: BLT vs. BLT 2?

abc
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

BLT vs. BLT 2?

Haven't been on the market for a while. Need to catch up a bit. What's the change between Blur LT and the new LT 2?

This question probably have been asked before but I can't find any threads on the comparison...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Search a little more, there is tons of info about it here. Also, go to the Santa Cruz website where they have the specs for both models available.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by abc
    Haven't been on the market for a while. Need to catch up a bit. What's the change between Blur LT and the new LT 2?

This question probably have been asked before but I can't find any threads on the comparison...
    http://www.santacruzmtb.com/blurlt/catalog.pdf

Page 4 of the BLT2 catalog has a pretty good summary of changes. Page 1 "Cliff Notes" section is helpful, too.

abc
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    What about real world hands-on experience?

Noticably better? Or can't tell the difference?

GMM
    mtbr member
    What about real world hands-on experience?

Noticably better? Or can't tell the difference?
    I demo'd both, and there is a big difference. BLT2 is way more laterally stiff and really holds its lines better. BLT1 actually has better small bump sensitivity and feels plush on technical climbs, much more than BLT2. For my style, I'd take the BLT2 for its high speed performance, not that the original is a slouch.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Not really rode enough to give a solid decision which i prefer. The new one feels a bit more heavy duty although the frame weight is similar. But.. i really liked the original, quirky suspension and all- and i would have happily taken one with the improved pivots. Just not sure the new one has the same character.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

abc
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    How much of that "solid" feel is oweing to forks vs. frame itself, I wonder?

mtbr member
    I tried a BLT1 a few years back.
    I pedaled 30 feet down the trail and handed it straight back to its owner. At the time I was riding FSR style bikes and found the amount of interaction between the pedals and VPP suspension really unpleasant. I also have tried a couple of Intense VPP bikes and was left feeling under-welmed. I really was perplexed why people raved about theses bikes.

When a BLT2 demo bike was offered to me for a day I was reluctant to take it out. It took a bit of time to to get a good set up but I ended up having a blast!!! So much so that Im buying one ( and a 09 Nomad too).

I probably have spent about 4 hours between 2 BLT2 test bikes and being 240 pounds and with poor fitness, Ive spent a lot of time in "granny".

Regarding "kickback" in granny, I found that I needed to run a bit more rebound damping then I usually would and time my pedaling over up hill obstacles. Strangely I found that it seemed to better to run a lighter platform damping setting on rough granny climbs. Running a heavy platform setting seemed to just exaggerate the kickback.

Pedaling in "granny" on the BLT2 doesn't seem to bad as its feels quite firm on smooth climbs. Even the "kickback" seems to have a up side in that if I timed my pedaling over an up hill obstacles I could actually gain some momentum from the suspention. I found if I coasted till I reached the apex of the log and then stomped down on the pedals the kickback would push hard down the face of the obstacle resulting in a bit of a push forward.

It seems that on the BLT2 middle ring is where all the gravy is.
    Two big pluses re the BLT2 pedaling in middle ring were

1) I could just jump up and stomp on the pedals to get some momentum for clearing obstacles . I love the way the BLT2 just spurts forward with every pedal stroke.

2) how well the bike maintained traction and handled sharp edge hits under power.

Stomping the pedals on my 08 Giant Reign would result in a lot of up and down movement and not much forward acceleration. Thats unless I locked out the shock then I would loose traction.

Sorry, it seems that Ive gone off on a bit of a BLT2 rave

mtbr member
    How much of that "solid" feel is oweing to forks vs. frame itself, I wonder?
    I have a BLT1 w/ Pike fork (20mm TA) and 10mm TA rear hub and can tell you there is NO MORE frame flex. It's an absolute joke that riders were trying to tell me it was all frame related and they're running pathetic QR wheelsets!!!

Also I can't tell you how many times I've heard comments like those of aardvark's and other heavy riders. Here's the deal: There are different volume air sleeves for the RP-3 and 23 and you need to use the standard size not the large (or extra large) size IF you're a heavyweight on a VPP design. Custom valving also becomes more critical the heavier you are (deviation from the design parameters of the shock). Getting back to the original question... the big thing is they designed the leverage rate of the BLT2 around the Fox rear shock for better action. The BLT1 had issues with it's leverage rate in mid-stroke with the Fox air shocks BUT that could be overcome with custom valving like what they do at PUSH Industries. The new links w/ zerks are a very nice touch but I'll stick with my PUSHED BLT1 for now.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 08-18-2008 at 10:15 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!