TM1
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

BLT size for 6'2" rider ?

I'm 6'2" at 200 lb.
    on Sunday I'll be at the LBS for a BLT test bike.
    according to SC site both Large and X-Large frames will fit me.

I know it is recommended to go on the smaller frame when it's indecisive but I'd like some input from your experience.

Which frame size is chosen by riders my height & what stem ?

THX

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    if you go to the Wrench Science website, they've got a fit calculator application where you can enter in your body geometry, and it'll give you an idea of where to start for your ideal top tube length and stem length. Your LBS should be able to get you fitted as well.

TNC
    noMAD man

Calculators.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Man
    if you go to the Wrench Science website, they've got a fit calculator application where you can enter in your body geometry, and it'll give you an idea of where to start for your ideal top tube length and stem length. Your LBS should be able to get you fitted as well.
    Don't get me wrong...many of these spring, bike size, and geometry calculators are interesting and can be useful depending on the particular situation, but I find them to be so generic that they can be almost useless for some of the types of bikes being designed and manufactured today. In fact when you look at some of the geometry numbers on some bikes available today, like a Nomad for example, some of these geometry calculators would never consider them workable or within useable parameters. As you said, maybe better for a starting point than nothing at all.

The BLT is trying to fill a unique niche that goes from a true XC model to an aggressive trail bike. And then there's the variable of how and where a rider will be using the bike. I'm 6' on a large Nomad, and I like to run a short stem, so the large worked out well for me. For the original poster, you are kinda in the middle ground there, aren't you. Both the XL and L models have pretty close to the same standover. I'd base my decision on the preference of a longer or shorter cockpit. If you're a longer torsoed build and like a longer cockpit, then perhaps the XL is better suited, and vice-versa. There seems to be a trend of getting away from long stems to stretch the cockpit except on more pure XC designed rigs. A BLT should probably never need more than a 90mm stem. If it does maybe the top tube is too short. It's a tough call and finding a shop that has both sizes might be hard. We have the L and M models at our shop, and the L model fit me quite well at 6' tall. I'm longer torsoed, so take that for what it's worth.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Large

I ride a Large and I've got a few inches on you.
    When you are at your LBS, try a layback seatpost and a 120 stem with a decent rise-bar.
    Experiment for sure, you never know until you try something and the LBS should be willing to work with you and your setup.
    Have fun with it!

just rub some dirt on it
    Nov 2005

Ride them both and then make the call

I am 6' and went with the large/100mm stem. I fell into the middle of the size chart as well.
    Med/Large. I rode both and the Mediums cockpit was definitely to tight for my liking. I do
    more trail riding than jump/stunt riding. Your riding will definitely factor into your decision.
    I would go bigger frame/shorter stem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Xl

Quote Originally Posted by TM1
    I'm 6'2" at 200 lb.

I know it is recommended to go on the smaller frame when it's indecisive but I'd like some input from your experience.

THX

I'm 6'2 as well and the Xl seemed to be the way to go. There won't be a ton of post out and the standover is generous. I'm using 100mm stem.

31'' BB to seat ht . 34.5 inseam, true.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm 6'2" at 200 lb.

THX
    I am 5'11" and half inch (181 cm) and got Large BLT. I switched from Klein Palomino L. BLT is much shorter than Palo, I can not imagine how I could ride Medium BLT, which was also in my view. I have to install even longer stem (110) after some rides. I have direct seat post. So I think you would need setback seat post and 120 stem with Large one or direct seatpost and 100-90 stem with the XL. If I were you I would decide for XL because of better ascending abilities of larger frame.

TM1
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Thanks all ...

I'll take the XL with a short stem.
    The guys are building it now.

I'll ride it this weekend and see how it goes.

Maybe a desert trip ans some technical "home-ground" ...

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

XL makes sense

I'm 6'3 and ride an XL BLT. It doesn't feel that big...

TM1
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

what stem are you usung ?

I got the XL BLT. 100 mm stem

I had 2 rides on them.
    1st was a long un-technical single-track - the bike was great. loved it.
    2nd was a technical night-ride. not the best way to test a bike. I felt the bike is too long. on the steep decends I was not confident on the bike. sitting back was hard.

a shorter stem may be in help ...

TNC
    noMAD man

Changing times and setups.

I got the XL BLT. 100 mm stem

I had 2 rides on them.
    1st was a long un-technical single-track - the bike was great. loved it.
    2nd was a technical night-ride. not the best way to test a bike. I felt the bike is too long. on the steep decends I was not confident on the bike. sitting back was hard.

a shorter stem may be in help ...
    I think you're experiencing how SC seems to be biasing their geometry design now on some of their models. The BLT has decently long chainstays along with other minor tweaks that make a more stable ride. Personally I think as short a stem as you can run on a BLT will make a better handling bike overall. Some XC'ers will cringe at that suggestion, but I don't think a BLT, Nomad, and some other current designs pigeonhole into traditional setups anymore. I was totally surprised that a 50mm stem worked on my Nomad for aggressive trail riding where a good amount of climbing is required...and with a Van 36 fork that has no travel reduction. I don't think the BLT is as long and aggressive a design as the Nomad, but it is longer and more aggressive than most traditional XC designs that we've been accustomed to.

I'm assuming you got a BLT to be a longer travel trail bike instead of an XC weapon. You usually want a slower reacting geometry for that use, and you usually want more stability for technical or higher speed descending. The last bike I had that had a stem longer than 90mm was a Superlight. Shorter stems and a more relaxed geometry make for a much more competent all-around trail bike. Just guessing here, but since you went with the XL, I'd bet a stem closer to the 70mm end of the spectrum will provide a more well-rounded setup. That may sound unconventional to you from your past bikes and setups. Old habits die hard.