mtbr member
    Dec 2005

BLT - fork upgrade help

I currently have a 2010 BLT2 (aluminum, 1 1/8 head tube ), a Sektor 150 (air/9mm qr) and Roval wheels that take 9mm qr/15mm and want to try a new fork. Got a great deal on the Sektor but would like to try something stiffer with a 15mm axle that I could possibly swap over to a carbon LT or possibly a TRC frame next year. Would a Fox Float 140mm with a 15mm, be a good place to start?

rider info- 175 lbs with gear and ride a mix of rocky / flowy single track. Don't huck but like the rocky stuff and small jumps/drops (2-3 foot)

Any info would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    A float 32 140 would be a good start. If you want to move to a TRc, the 32 float is a great option. I've been very happy with mine on my TRc even at 205 lbs.

Revelations are also popular.

See if you can find closeouts.

A 15mm axle help over QR.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have a 2011 LT2 and have a fox vanilla 140 and it is a great fork for the bike. Initially I had a quick release (it had come off my previous bike) and then I had the lowers swapped out for a 15mm TA. The TA made a big difference on the rigidity of the bike.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have a 2010 BLT with 1 1/8 headtube, I started off with a 130mm uturn recon as it was on my previous bike, I swapped it out for a 2011 Lyric 160mm uturn coil with 20mm thru axle - total transformation - I rode two marathons on it, changed the tyres and took it to the alps for two weeks, great but heavy. I have built up a bigger bike and returned the BLT to light weight trail spec with a 150mm Revelation Rlt Ti dual air - super light (lighter than the 130mm uturn) but it has a 9mm qr axle. I am going to swap the lowers at some point for 20mm again.
    I would say the Blur Lt is perfect at 150mm and the Rev dual air is a stiff, stand up fork once bedded in

Ow!
    Well, I am a big guy (260lbs) with a Blur LTc. It came with a Revelation 150mm (15mm). Way, way too flexy. I eventually replaced it with Marz 55--very stiff, which matches the stiffness of the frame. I put the Rev on my On-one 456. Still too flexy. I now have it on a TRc (yep, couldn't resist the great SC sale), but dropped the travel to 125mm. Only 3 rides so far, but, while I can still detect some flex, it seems OK.

But that Rev will never go on my LTc again.

And while going from a 9mm QR to a 15mm to a 20mm may reduce some twisting associated with the fork/hub connection, the problem with the Rev is just how lightly it is built. If it was a 20mm, I am certain it would still flex too much for my bigger travel bikes.
    I replaced the Rev on my 456 with a Marz 44 (150mm travel, 15mm)--no discernable flex.