Thread: Bike Dilema

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Bike Dilema

Hey Guys, need some opinions here:

I have a buddy who as a kid rode lots of BMX. I have taken him on the trail and he is very capable and those old skills are still there. We rode a fairly flat trail with some roots and flow interupting obsticles, we took my 4x and my Nomad, and alternated between the two bikes. Naturally he preferred the snappy feel of the 4x ( Pike 140 ) over the Nomad ( Coil and VAN36 ), which is not surpsining considering the type of trail it is. The dilemma is:

He wants one bike, ( but could well be tempted by two )

We live in Hong Kong so 8 months a year it's 25 Degrees Plus and humid, so if any climbing is involved you want a light rig, but then the hills down and steep, rocky, rooty and often wet due to the humidity, yes i can hear you all say thats an all mountain bike, and thats why i am inclined to point him in the direction of a Nomad, as it can climb, not the best though, and it can descend well, but again not the best. I love my Nomad but am acutely aware it is the bike of ultimate compromise, as its a " Jack of all trades, but master of few".

Am i better off letting my buddy get a lighter XC orientated AM rig ( BLT/ 575/ Tracer/ ) and see how he gets on, then let him realise he needs a bigger rig for the more DH oriented side of the best riding here in HK? ( I am pretty convinced this is the direction his riding will go ) or should i set him off on the One bike route with an adaptably capable Nomad/ 6.6 type rig?

Any opinions welcome,

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If there is a SC dealer around he will let your friend test ride 'em both. Tell him everything you know so he can make an informed decision but let him decide. Also he might want to check the LT2...

The BLT2 just might be the way to go...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey Guys, thanks for the feedback, I am sort of at that view too that the LT2 maybe the best way to start.

Sadly we don't get test rides from our dealer!

Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hi Jezhkrider,

May I suggest that if he plans to get a nomad, he should wait til 2009 for the new one.
    However, given you are in HK, I am not sure how long it will take for the release of the 2009 here in the US before Flying Ball will have them in stock.

Last time I was there, I only saw BLT1 and no BLT2 yet, and the bike has been released since May for consumer purchase. Will your friend be willing to wait?

Also, even though the BLT2 is good all around bike (I own one btw), I am not sure it is best for HK riding. BLT2s are meant for big country riding, I cant really recall a ride in HK that is 20-30 miles of trail bike type of use with pedal-able uphill the whole way. If your friend is new into the sport, and he has a bmx background with the direction of heading DH, he is probably better off on something like a Nomad09 or a heckler. Also, many bmx guys ain't as excited about hill climbs as dh. Sure the BLT2 is a do it all bike, but many of the riders I have seen around HK usually get a freeride or a DH bike with dual crown for Dai Mo Shan or Tin Pin shan downhills. There really isn't much exciting long all mountain rides where the advantage of the BLT2 will shine on the uphill, right? People I know usually push the bike to the top and ride down.

The Nomad or the heckler is more versatile and you can easily throw dual crown DH forks on it for when your buddy get better. This can't be done on the BLT2.
    Also, these bikes ain't cheap, I dont know if your buddy will want to buy a BLT2 and then in a year, buy a Nomad.

Hope this helps.

Just curious why you say a Heckler is suited to this riding but not a BLT? Now if you were talking about a Bullit, that might make more sense...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well, in my humble but bias opinion , the terrain in Hong Kong is often a push a bike-athon to the top, or take a shuttle to the top of Tai-Mo-Shan mountain, for example, and then the ride really begins on the downhill.

The BLT2 really comes across as a bike that can climb, and then decend well. But if there isn't much real climbing to be had like we do here in the states, then I just think the heckler or nomad, and yes, even the bullit, might be more worth while as it allows the former bmx friend of the OP to enjoy the very rough DH, and easily switch to dual crown or other DH equipments when desired.

BLT2 can't do that, but I have seen a few people that put dual crown on their hecklers.

Again, these are just my own bias opinion...The BLT2 is a fine bike, just the terrain and riding style at Hong Kong might not be able to take full advantage of BLT2's strength.

mtbr member
    BLT2 for sure! Never been to Hong Kong but pushing a bike all the time sucks!

I love my Nomad but the weight does get to you after awhile.

Any pictures of the trails there?

mtbr member
    Here's an ingenious idea!

He DOESN'T have to get only a santa cruz.. theres plenty of other good brands out there too.

Seeing as he came from a bmx background, im going to assume that he's a decently smooth rider that could ride a 5-6 inch travel frame just fine. Probably one with a steep head angle/ freeride geometry, just a guess.

What kind of brands of bikes do the shops in HK sell? seeing as ive never been there or cared to.
    God made Firefighters so that Cops could have heroes.

03 BuLLit - Retired
    SX Trail 2007/66 Rc2x
    Demo 9 Pro/888 Rc2x

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scfreak
    BLT2 for sure! Never been to Hong Kong but pushing a bike all the time sucks!

I love my Nomad but the weight does get to you after awhile.

Any pictures of the trails there?
    For HK riding pic, check www.mtbunited.com

Major bike shop there is Flying Ball Bike shop. You can try to search them up online.

They sell mostly exotic/ high end brands along with Cannondales.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey Loll,

Thanks for the info, you have obvioulsy spent some time here.

Also images on the newly re formed hkmba.org.

we can get Intense, Giant, Trek, Iron Horse in fact most of the bikes you could ever want here. The fact is he has been given the SC name by family and friends in the US, seen my stable, ridden the Nomad and 4X and has done the research. Its hard not to be impressed, also the SC dealer here is the best in terms of service of a bad bunch here.

My mate has gone down the LT2 route, as only sections of the trail, which is largely contour are really tech, for the most he will be speeding off on fast winding trail, with some tech elements, so on the balance i think his selection is good.

If and i think when, he gets into doing the DH's faster and exclusively then time for 8", a full face and some body armour. That is when the BLT2 won't cut it.

Thanks all for your input,

Jez