mtbr member

Best tires for dry conditions

For the past 5 or 6 years I've been running WTB Weirwolf tires. I've had UST 2.1, 2.3 and 2.5 lowtreads that have been set up tubeless with Stans and never have I had a single problem. I love the Weirwolfs without a doubt. With that said, like any other guy, could there be something better I could be ridding? Thanks.

TNC
    noMAD man
    It's very hard to recommend tires for an unknown rider in a location if the one providing the advice hasn't ridden extensively there. You can get 5 billion comments from us here about how great we think this or that tire is, but the reality is that it might suck for you and your bike at your place. If I were you, I'd check with shops in your area, riding buddies, and any other serious rider's ears you can bend from you area about what's been working for them. It might also make a difference if you're riding a 21 pound hardtail racer and some other guy is riding a 35 pound, 6-7 inch AM bike. Ask lots of questions of those who ride a lot and ride a somewhat similar type of bike in your area.

I too like Weirwolf tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I like my Kenda Small Block 8's for the dry, they roll fast and grip well, although braking on steep downhill grassy sections can be fun, especially where the sheep have grazed it to a fine lawn , I have to recalibrate my brain because they roll sooo much quicker on the downside the side walls are on the thinner side so if your in gnarly sharp rock you may shred them, my other favourite is the Kenda Blue groove.

I have to agree with TNC its hard to recommend a tyre, because it could be completely useless for your terrain and style, I ride a 07 Heckler so all my tyres are 2.35 to hopefully absorb the pounding a 6" travel bike can give them.

bi-winning
    Python, Small Block 8, Crossmark - All popular choices at my local races.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Where I live, the trails are really gritty, dry and dusty! I run a Kenda Nevegal for traction up front and a Small Block Eight for less rolling resistance at the back. Like Jeffus said the Small Block Eights grip really well when it's dry but as soon as things get a bit wet and muddy, forget about it!
    Last edited by CraigiB; 09-02-2008 at 06:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Maxxis Minions super tacky are good in the wet and dry, but are a dog to get rolling, great if you have an uplift service :-) like CraigiB I sometmes mix it up and run Blue groove front and small block8 rear, my daughter has pinched my Nevegals so can't use them any more, Blue groove front and Nevegal rear good for the wet trails by me.
    I'm running Panaracer Cinder 2.25 at the moment came of my wifes bike and they are awfull, she changed to High rollers, the Panaracers slip and slide and spin and try to follow every mark on the trail, must take them off before I fall off

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Folks that posted Kenda Small Block 8, how does it handle on fast DH/FR where you are jumping off drops and flying down rock garden~ish dh?

For the Norcal folks, I am specifically talking about Braille trail at Demo forest.

Any thoughts?