bump and grind

Best stock shock for a heckler?

Am thinking of finally pulling the trigger on the Heckler as my first dual suspension bike. Where I'm from I have to order it specially, so I can choose my color and shock.

Problem is... I dont know what shock to get, this being my first dually and all. The other threads deal with shocks other than the stock shocks in the SC website, which I notice have been changed for 06. Now the stock shocks are:

-5th element coil
    -Manitou swinger 4 way coil
    -Manitou swinger 3 way air

Optional
    - Fox Float
    - Fox DHX coil
    - Fox DHX air

Right now the optional shocks are way too expensive. I dont see myself getting any of them. (Strangely, last December the Float was the stock shock)

What would be best stock shock for all around trail riding/all mountain - no huge jumps over 5-7 feet and no racing. The bike will have a Vanilla 130 up front. Something tells me i should also get a coil shock - either the 5th or the swinger. Whaddya think? Thanks in advance for the ton of replies I'm surely going to get.

Ultimate Poseur
    Quote Originally Posted by cobym2
    Am thinking of finally pulling the trigger on the Heckler as my first dual suspension bike. Where I'm from I have to order it specially, so I can choose my color and shock.

Problem is... I dont know what shock to get, this being my first dually and all. The other threads deal with shocks other than the stock shocks in the SC website, which I notice have been changed for 06. Now the stock shocks are:

-5th element coil

Optional
    - Fox Float
    - Fox DHX coil
    - Fox DHX air

Right now the optional shocks are way too expensive. I dont see myself getting any of them. (Strangely, last December the Float was the stock shock)

What would be best stock shock for all around trail riding/all mountain - no huge jumps over 5-7 feet and no racing. The bike will have a Vanilla 130 up front. Something tells me i should also get a coil shock - either the 5th or the swinger. Whaddya think? Thanks in advance for the ton of replies I'm surely going to get.
    I've been running the 5th coil on my Heckler. It's been pretty reliable, but it is due for service soon. If I was buying new today I think I'd lean to get the standard Float-R or DHX-A. An aftermarket RP3 might not be a bad choice either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

5th Element

Quote Originally Posted by moff_quigley
    I've been running the 5th coil on my Heckler. It's been pretty reliable, but it is due for service soon. If I was buying new today I think I'd lean to get the standard Float-R or DHX-A. An aftermarket RP3 might not be a bad choice either.
    I'd go with the 5th Element. It is the best shock out of the stock shock options. It is the most tuneable shock out of those options. I believe the Fox DHX 5.0 Coil is the best overall shock for the Heckler but looking at the SC website it is not an upcharge of
    $294.00. That is a lot of money for an upcharge. Seems like it was a little over $100.00 upcharge a couple of weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cobym2

-5th element coil

Optional
    - Fox Float
    - Fox DHX coil
    - Fox DHX air

Funny....just about 5 months ago, SC was no longer using 5th coil at all on Hecklers. I know because I tried to order a frame with it and they said they aren't doing 5th any more, only Fox DHX coil (which is a better shock in my opinion anyway).

Nonetheless, I wouldn't pay any attention to the pricing on the SC website. I don't know about your LBS but my gives deals that you almost feel guilty with taking (that is if you pay cash and are a member of the local mtb club). I don't know about the new 5th but it used to be shorter stroke and only gave 5" travel where the Fox DHX gives 5.7". All accounts I've read say it's a better shock and you should at least price it with your local dealer to see what kind of deal you get.