mtbr member

Bearings and Propack Question

Its come the time that my VP Free could use some new bearings, about 2 years. I remember hearing something about free replacement bearings from Santa Cruz. Is this still available and if so how would I go about doing so? Also do I really need a Propack or just new bearings? Another question I have is do I need that custom bearing removing and installation tool which Santa Cruz sells or could I accomplish the same task with other tools? Thanks for your help.

sock skeleton
    Oct 2005
    i did my blur 3 months ago and i highly recommend getting the tools. take your time doing it. it took me about 5 hours to do. buy the propack and send your old bearings in for a free replacement. down load the instructions and follow them carefully.

mtbr member
    Doesn't the propack already come with new bearings? Also do I really need new bolts or would the free replacement bearing be sufficient?
    Thanks

sock skeleton
    Oct 2005
    the bearings have a lifetime warranty. send them your old ones and get a new set sent back.

mtbr member

Do I need to be original owner for bearing warranty?

Hi,

I bought the bike second hand. Do they require a receipt?

Thanks

Extreme XC
    the propack will be good as you'll often find that after being in the bike for too long without maintenance your pivots will get scored by crap getting into the link - especially the lower link.

In some cases you may find that the lower link gets worn as well. They aren't that expensive to replace, and can be a good idea to have one around if you're going to be pulling the pivots to pieces anyways.

As far as the proper tools go, I've got them and it definitely makes the job a bunch easier. I'm sure that you can put the bearings back in without the tool (definitely getting them out isn't too hard), but it's about a 40-60 minute job for me to do all my lower-link bearings (4 of them) with the tool, and I would guess a bunch more without.