FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bantam or 5010

mtbr member
    May 2014

Bantam or 5010

Torn between getting the Bantam or the 5010. Rode both. Could not tell a huge difference, but it was just on paved road/ sidewalks. Like the Bantam for the simplicity. The 5010 has the more advanced and perhaps better suspension, but maybe more maintenance and the darn creaking issue I see in other threads. The 5010 (aluminum) is only $400 more for the R AM build which I would get, so the money is not an issue. Any thoughts?Thanks

Bedwards Of The West
    I got a Bantam because $400 is an issue for me. It's a monster. I beat on it and I love it. No complaints. I do love the idea of the simplicity of 1 pivot, but I have lots of friends with VPP bikes that have no problems with them.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm looking at the Bantam/Heckler vs 5010/Bronson too. I did a demo of both the 5010 & Bronson and they are both awesome. You can get the D build kit on the Bantam/ Heckler for 2,600 vs 3,300 5010 & 3,400 Bronson. That's a 700/800 dollar difference...Huge
    I'm going to demo a Heckler in Downieville next month and see how the Single Pivot feels. Any thoughts?

eb5
    mtbr member
    I own an alu bronson and I love it! that being said my buddy owns a Heckler and after riding it a couple times that thing is pretty awesome also, fully capable of handling all types of riding. If $ is the issue I'd definitely go with a Heckler.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Bantam! It's like a heckler-lite. perfect trail bike. I rode a 2001 4" heckler which was great, and then a later 6" heckler which was also great. The Bantam at 5" is right in between and is a frame they should have made a long time ago. Single pivot santa cruz bikes are awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks for the responses. One thing I noticed is the Bantam may have a higher regarded fork in the RockShox Sektor than the Fox 32 Float on the 5010 (at least based on a couple internet reviews I saw). But I'm sure they're both pretty good, a lot better than on the 12 yr old rig I'm on now.

Bedwards Of The West
    The RockShox on the Bantam is great. It took me a few rides to set the suspension up on the bike (but I'm sort of slow) because the Fox CTD shock and the RockShox fork have slightly different personalities. I set them both up as recommended and the rear felt mushy and the front felt stiff. After some tweaking and adjusting pressure I love the set up. Jury is still out on whether or not it bugs me not having CTD levers on both the shock and the fork. I rarely take the shock out of 'trail' mode.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Bantam.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Bantam.
    Hey Noah, which MRP fork are you running on your Bantam and what can you tell me about it. Looking to upgrade my 32 Float on the 5010.

Having ridden the Heckler and both the Bronson and 5010 I was super impressed with the Heckler so I'm sure the Bantam would be great. I chose 5010 because I'm a carbon/suspension snob.... I'm liking it a lot so far, but I doubt it's that much better than the Bantam. Easier to make it light I suppose.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Hey Noah, which MRP fork are you running on your Bantam and what can you tell me about it. Looking to upgrade my 32 Float on the 5010.
    Good choice on the 5010c - sweet bike.

I'm using our new Stage (34mm) fork @ 150mm on the Bantam. The Stage is ~10mm shorter axle-to-crown compared to a Pike or 34, so I can run 150mm without choppering out the front end. I've ridden it at 140mm too, but I prefer 150mm.

The Stage has adjustable rebound, compression, and Ramp Control - which lets you adjust the ending stroke spring curve. It uses a two-chamber air spring with the supplest top-end stroke of any fork I've felt (and I reckon I've felt them all). MSRP is $969, weight is 4.3lb, comes in all black, and tapered only. Assembled from the ground up in Grand Junction and all of our new forks are individually dyno tested before leaving the factory. In production now.

@140mm

Some glitches have prevented out new website from launching, but it should be up in a matter of days. I just finished building it out on Tuesday.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

Bedwards Of The West
    Cool. If you need someone else to test one on a Bantam I'm here to help. PM me for a shipping address

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

I'm using our new Stage (34mm) fork @ 150mm on the Bantam. The Stage is ~10mm shorter axle-to-crown compared to a Pike or 34, so I can run 150mm without choppering out the front end. I've ridden it at 140mm too, but I prefer 150mm.

The Stage has adjustable rebound, compression, and Ramp Control - which lets you adjust the ending stroke spring curve. It uses a two-chamber air spring with the supplest top-end stroke of any fork I've felt (and I reckon I've felt them all). MSRP is $969, weight is 4.3lb, comes in all black, and tapered only. Assembled from the ground up in Grand Junction and all of our new forks are individually dyno tested before leaving the factory. In production now.

@140mm

Some glitches have prevented out new website from launching, but it should be up in a matter of days. I just finished building it out on Tuesday.
    That sounds like a really promising fork.

mtbr member

Sweet. Thanks for the info. Sounds like the numbers are good. I'll have to check it out.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    And subscribed.

mtbr member
    Hey Noah, with the build on that bike you obviously didn't pick the Bantam to save a few bucks. So what sold you on it?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Hey Noah, with the build on that bike you obviously didn't pick the Bantam to save a few bucks. So what sold you on it?
    Well the bargain frame price saved a few bucks so I could do this particular build!

I like single-pivot bikes, not necessarily more than I like VPP bikes, but I know how they behave and that paired with an appropriate shock they're damn good. I had ridden a TRc before and really liked its lively ride, and knew the Solo (and thus Bantam) came from the same lineage.

I also have a Tallboy LT, and previously a Bronson, so I wanted something appreciably different this time around - specifically a shorter, faster handling bike.

I love it. Trying to find a way to get a Nomad too though!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    Checked out both at the LBS yesterday (but did not demo). One of these will probably be my next mtb. Definitely leaning toward the Bantam for the simplicity and lower price. That green is pretty hilarious, too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinMtBike View Post
    Torn between getting the Bantam or the 5010. Rode both. Could not tell a huge difference, but it was just on paved road/ sidewalks (...)
    Dude that's just a gold nugget of unintentional comedy!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    if a 5010 is only 400.00 more, then it is a no brainer. much better performing suspension. nothing against the single pivot bikes, but they are no vpp.

Bedwards Of The West
    I think the Bantam fills a huge hole in pricing. I think I'm like a lot of people... kids, life, budget, expenses, etc. I'd love to drop $3500 on a mountain bike, but then again I wouldn't. I had to sell a motorcycle just to get this one, and I'm running out of stuff to sell.
    Breaking my budget of 2k was easier to explain/justify when the first number was still a 2

Thanks to a great LBS discount I was able to go 1x10 and add a dropper and STILL keep it under 3k. Couldn't pull that off with the 50LO.

Bantam or 5010-picture1.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gnomer View Post
    if a 5010 is only 400.00 more, then it is a no brainer. much better performing suspension. nothing against the single pivot bikes, but they are no vpp.
    I guess most people would say that. I have both (A Superlight and a TBLT).
    The Superlight is a blast to ride. I don't think of it as better or worse, its just a little different than a VPP.

mtbr member
    Ok, more questions:

Why does the Bantam get the RockShox fork while the 5010 get the Fox fork? How would you compare these forks?

Also, is the R AM really worth $300 over the D AM? Difference mostly seems to be brakes and ders?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    Ok, more questions:

Why does the Bantam get the RockShox fork while the 5010 get the Fox fork? How would you compare these forks?

Also, is the R AM really worth $300 over the D AM? Difference mostly seems to be brakes and ders?
    That's a good question.
    I don't know if those Elixer 1's are that bad compared to Deore brakes, and the derailers shifters won't be that big of a difference between Deore and SLX.

The Sector fork is pretty low on the scale for Rockshox. A Revelation or Fox Float would probably both be worth the upgrade. If money is tight, I think 300 bucks toward a fork upgrade is better than the D to R upgrade. Even though Santa Cruz doesn't offer the fork upgrade on the website, a good shop could get that done for you.

Edit: Now that I look at it, the Bantam with the R AM costs 400 bucks less than the 5010 R AM, but, it comes with the downgraded fork! So, if you did a fair comparison, and upgraded the fork on the Bantam, you'd probably only be a hundred bucks cheaper than the 5010! In other words, frame costs are almost the same between the 2 bikes!
    (Just guessing - I don't know what kind of deal you could get if you wanted a Bantam with Float).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    That's a good question.
    I don't know if those Elixer 1's are that bad compared to Deore brakes, and the derailers shifters won't be that big of a difference between Deore and SLX.

The Sector fork is pretty low on the scale for Rockshox. A Revelation or Fox Float would probably both be worth the upgrade. If money is tight, I think 300 bucks toward a fork upgrade is better than the D to R upgrade. Even though Santa Cruz doesn't offer the fork upgrade on the website, a good shop could get that done for you.

Edit: Now that I look at it, the Bantam with the R AM costs 400 bucks less than the 5010 R AM, but, it comes with the downgraded fork! So, if you did a fair comparison, and upgraded the fork on the Bantam, you'd probably only be a hundred bucks cheaper than the 5010! In other words, frame costs are almost the same between the 2 bikes!
    (Just guessing - I don't know what kind of deal you could get if you wanted a Bantam with Float).
    The guy at the LBS seemed to think the Rockshox was superior to the Fox but I honestly know nothing about it. The Fox seems to retail for around $650 vs around $500 for the RS.

I could care less about the shifters. Don't know how the Avids compare to the Deore.

I think it's a bit odd how Santa Cruz does this.

Bedwards Of The West
    I got the R AM Bantam and converted to 1x10, so I had to buy an XT rear cassette, and I dumped the front D. I think the brakes are worth the upgrade personally. The Deore brakes are stellar.

I can't find anything wrong with the RockShox fork. Performance is great. I just wish it had the 3-position CTD lever to match the shock. Not that I'd ever really use it...

And because everybody loves pictures:

Bantam or 5010-picture2.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast