Thread: Avid Mystery

mtbr member

Avid Mystery

I tried a search on this, but came up zilch. Also no info on the Avid website. I'm replacing the brake pads for my Juicys on the Bullit. Choices are:

Metal Scintered
    Organic Aluminum Back Plate
    Organic Steel Back Plate

Can anyone enlighten me as to the differences between these options?

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Quote Originally Posted by brainbckt
    I tried a search on this, but came up zilch. Also no info on the Avid website. I'm replacing the brake pads for my Juicys on the Bullit. Choices are:

Metal Scintered
    Organic Aluminum Back Plate
    Organic Steel Back Plate

Can anyone enlighten me as to the differences between these options?
    Metal Scintered = stops a lil quicker, more power, wears out quicker

Organic Aluminum Back Plate = lasts longer, not quite as much power as Scintered, not sure what the Alum. bk plate designates

Organic Steel Back Plate = lasts longer, not quite as much power as Scintered, not sure what the Steel bk plate designates

Hope this helps some, I'm sure others will be of more help to ya. FWIW, I'm running a scintered/organic combo one each on each wheel. Good stopping power, and lasts longer.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Gracias. The aluminum backed pad was $5 more. I assume it's just a weight thing.

mtbr member
    Organic Vs Sintered

Found this thread after a bit more searching. The majority opinion seems to be that the metal last longer and provide more hard stopping power, whereas the organics wear more quickly, but provide better modulation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brainbckt
    Organic Vs Sintered

Found this thread after a bit more searching. The majority opinion seems to be that the metal last longer and provide more hard stopping power, whereas the organics wear more quickly, but provide better modulation.
    generally the way of it, but sometimes its different. sometimes you get the modulation with the metallic sintered and the raw power with the organic. Give avid a call and see what they say, I'm pretty sure with reference to avid what you just said is dead on.

Also, the Al backed pads are lighter. its a weight thing, no more

Ride Everything
    Organic pads wear quicker than metal/sintered pads. They also don't work as well in wet conditions. And in my experience, they offer better modulation than the sintered pads.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Bomber

True

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    Organic pads wear quicker than metal/sintered pads. They also don't work as well in wet conditions. And in my experience, they offer better modulation than the sintered pads.
    +1.
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before, and to hear the lamentation of the women."