mtbr member

Avalanche DHX Air 5.0 Rebuild?

I've got my Nomad apart for service and I was thinking I've never loved the Fox DHX Air 5.0, but I've been too lazy to do anything about it. Since I have the shock out of the bike and I'll be away from home for 2 months over the holidays I was thinking about sending it in to Avalanche for a custom rebuild/tune.

Fox DHX 5.0Speed sensitive Damper Adjuster Kit

I've never had custom tuned suspension so I only know what I have read from other riders' reports. Anyone had Avalanche rebuild their DHX Air 5.0 for a VPP bike?

This is a totally foreign topic for me so any input is welcome.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

If you think you can
    Did you ever get this mod? Thinking about doing it for my nomad also.

mtbr member
    Not done it on a Nomad. But I'm very impressed with the mod on my Nicolai Helius AM. I found this thread ages ago before getting the mod done and seeing as nobody has ever replied I may as well chime in my 2p.

I'm very impressed with the results. Compared with all other shocks I've used including CCDB's and custom tuned Fox this is the best. It holds up in it's travel a bit like a BOS VIPr and yet when you start hitting stuff hard and fast all the travel is there and the shock is able to recover quick enough to take the next hit without packing down. It has the smooth feel of a good coil shock and doesn't blow-through like many air shocks do (Especially the standard DHX Air).
    Overall feeling is one of efficiency - it only uses the travel it has to and doesn't give me that falling over the back feeling that I used to get with big weight shifts. Pedal stroke wise it feels really good and when clawing up techy steeps as the shock feels like its working for you rather than against you in the way it rebounds from rocks and roots. Get out of the saddle and honk and again its only using the first part of the stroke so not wallowing around too much. Best shock I've used byfar and very much worth the cost.
    I'm running it with an Avalanche tuned 36 up front and the two work together well as they have similar feeling with plenty of support which limits brake dive, but feel smooth and bottomless when hitting stuff hard and fast.

mtbr member

Sorry I missed these questions.

Yes I got Avalanche to rebuild my DHX Air over the winter.

The difference before and after is huge. I can set an air pressure that works for climbing, flats and DH with good support for the first two and a nice plush ride when heading down.

I don't miss having to adjust the Pro Pedal setting or deciding on a higher pressure for more efficient riding or lower pressure for better descending.

I'm climbing better than ever and just enjoying my bike more. I was keen to get a new MTB, but after getting the shock back from Avalanche I'm not overly worried about it and will be riding my Nomad a bunch more.

Highly recommended...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com