mtbr member
    Aug 2004

ATTENTION: BanzaiRider

BR,

Seeing as though you are from Canada and seem to have done a whack of research on coil shock options for the Nomad, would you be good enough to share a bit of this info with us? Specifically, could you tell us the weight, availability and cost for the frontrunners, including the Roco, CCDB and DHX5 Coil? Info on any other worthy candidates you came across in your travels would be appreciated as well.

If it's too much trouble, don't worry about it.

Thanks a million.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hahaha, you are thinking too much of me now! Research I sure did but never tried any yet! I've been on air shocks for several years and bikes but now I have enough and can't wait to receive my first coil, the hell with weight.

Remember, all the info I'm listing is theory.

I've seen the Rocco at a few web retailers. I'm getting mine from BoutiqueBikes with my Nomad frame. In a size 8.5x2.5 (the Nomad size), it is supposed to be 1090g. Marzo writes that it's user serviceable, we'll see when I get it. Noel, the owner of KnollyBikes reported a while ago that it is very very plush. On his horstlink bike it was bobing a bit, not much so on the Nomad it should be great. There is also one of the guys at Goride also tried it (and sells it) said it was great.

The CaneCreek is probably the top shock right now. It is top adjustable, top plush, top everything, including price. Aappling72 has tried it on a few frames, compared it to the DHX and the Avy, he says it is really the best. However you have to spend some time to adjust it properly. It weighs a bit more then the DHX but a bit less then the Rocco.

The DHX coil is an interesting option if you want to have help from a lot of people. It's the coil of choice this year. However I'm not a big fan of Fox stuff and where I live service is not great. The platform on it doesn't attrack me at all, specially on a VPP suspension. However there is Push Industries that announced they will have a tweak for it. Stock I think it's probably the less plush of the three but after a Push tweak it might be quite good, we'll see in a few months. It weighs about 900g.

That's about what I can think of for now. If you have a specific question don't hesitate but others that have tried those shocks might have much better answers than me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    Hahaha, you are thinking too much of me now! Research I sure did but never tried any yet! I've been on air shocks for several years and bikes but now I have enough and can't wait to receive my first coil, the hell with weight.

Remember, all the info I'm listing is theory.

I've seen the Rocco at a few web retailers. I'm getting mine from BoutiqueBikes with my Nomad frame. In a size 8.5x2.5 (the Nomad size), it is supposed to be 1090g. Marzo writes that it's user serviceable, we'll see when I get it. Noel, the owner of KnollyBikes reported a while ago that it is very very plush. On his horstlink bike it was bobing a bit, not much so on the Nomad it should be great. There is also one of the guys at Goride also tried it (and sells it) said it was great.

The CaneCreek is probably the top shock right now. It is top adjustable, top plush, top everything, including price. Aappling72 has tried it on a few frames, compared it to the DHX and the Avy, he says it is really the best. However you have to spend some time to adjust it properly. It weighs a bit more then the DHX but a bit less then the Rocco.

The DHX coil is an interesting option if you want to have help from a lot of people. It's the coil of choice this year. However I'm not a big fan of Fox stuff and where I live service is not great. The platform on it doesn't attrack me at all, specially on a VPP suspension. However there is Push Industries that announced they will have a tweak for it. Stock I think it's probably the less plush of the three but after a Push tweak it might be quite good, we'll see in a few months. It weighs about 900g.

That's about what I can think of for now. If you have a specific question don't hesitate but others that have tried those shocks might have much better answers than me.
    BR did you mail order your bike from Boutique Bikes?

Too Much Fun

New question here. Does the CCDB really fit on the Nomad?!

The CaneCreek is probably the top shock right now. It is top adjustable, top plush, top everything, including price. Aappling72 has tried it on a few frames, compared it to the DHX and the Avy, he says it is really the best.
    So is this info "legit" (ie true)? I've heard it said up here but then I've also heard it refuted by folks who claim to have spoken to CC.

Has anyone actually thrown a leg over a Nomad with a CCDB? Is it a hack to get it working on this bike or what?
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    freeridingfreddy, yap, sure did, those guys are pretty nice.

benja55, I wouldn't say the info is "legit", I think there is probably just a few people who've tried the CaneCreek DB up to now but all of them say it's THE shock. I think you are refering to someone who posted the CC DB would not work on the Nomad, however it doesn't make sense because it does work on the Intense 6.6 and the Nomad suspension is basically the same as the 6.6. I guess we'll have to wait a few more months before more CC DB start showing up on all sort of bikes, including the Nomad...

truth seeker
    CCDB is NOT available for the Nomad for the time being. Although the CCDB is being test ridden on Nomads by 2 magazine editors (including Mike Ferrentino of Bike Magazine) and is apparently performing well, the Cane Creek folks say that the Nomad will require dedicated mounting hardware. They have not yet committed to manufacturing this hardware and therefore the CCDB will not be an option for the Nomad for the foreseeable future. Conceivably, if there is enough interest and demand, they may change their stance sooner rather than later. I encourage any Nomad owner interested in the CCDB to express your interest to Malcolm at Cane Creek (malcolm@canecreek.com).

freeridingfreddy, yap, sure did, those guys are pretty nice.

benja55, I wouldn't say the info is "legit", I think there is probably just a few people who've tried the CaneCreek DB up to now but all of them say it's THE shock. I think you are refering to someone who posted the CC DB would not work on the Nomad, however it doesn't make sense because it does work on the Intense 6.6 and the Nomad suspension is basically the same as the 6.6. I guess we'll have to wait a few more months before more CC DB start showing up on all sort of bikes, including the Nomad...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptile
    CCDB is NOT available for the Nomad for the time being. Although the CCDB is being test ridden on Nomads by 2 magazine editors (including Mike Ferrentino of Bike Magazine) and is apparently performing well, the Cane Creek folks say that the Nomad will require dedicated mounting hardware. They have not yet committed to manufacturing this hardware and therefore the CCDB will not be an option for the Nomad for the foreseeable future. Conceivably, if there is enough interest and demand, they may change their stance sooner rather than later. I encourage any Nomad owner interested in the CCDB to express your interest to Malcolm at Cane Creek (malcolm@canecreek.com).
    Ha, so it's only the mounting hardware, that makes a bit more sense. The CaneCreek is probably not using the same "bushings/reducers" that Fox is using. Marzo is advertising that the Rocco is using the same size as Fox so if you have a frame with a Fox shock you can just switch the hardware over. Funny that CaneCreek is not making that hardware because it's just little pieces of metal that probably don't cost much. They are chutting themselves out of a potential market!

Too Much Fun

Idea! Send CC a mail telling them!

Funny that CaneCreek is not making that hardware because it's just little pieces of metal that probably don't cost much. They are chutting themselves out of a potential market!
    Thats exactly what I said in the email I just sent. Minus the "chutting" part.

I think they would sell a healthy number of DBs to Nomad owners.
    - -benja- -

TNC
    noMAD man

Spacer size.

Ha, so it's only the mounting hardware, that makes a bit more sense. The CaneCreek is probably not using the same "bushings/reducers" that Fox is using. Marzo is advertising that the Rocco is using the same size as Fox so if you have a frame with a Fox shock you can just switch the hardware over. Funny that CaneCreek is not making that hardware because it's just little pieces of metal that probably don't cost much. They are chutting themselves out of a potential market!
    Yeah, that is odd because CC has always used the same head and tail bushings and spacer sizing as Fox, Progressive, Stratos, and others. Don't see why they had to change their standard now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Minus the "chutting" part.
    Thanks for not being too hard on me, grammar is definitely not my strongest attribute!

IJR
    I Just Ride
    Fox stuff doesn't work with Progressive either so I had to make my own shaft and spacers when I got my 5th element.

Go to a bearing supply or similar industrial supply store to get what you need. They could have special ordered the exact lenghts I needed but I just took stock lenghts and cut them to fit. Total cost for two shafts with brass sleeves for spacers (aluminum was a special order), bolts and nylon lock nuts was less than $5

TNC
    noMAD man

Fox & Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by IJR
    Fox stuff doesn't work with Progressive either so I had to make my own shaft and spacers when I got my 5th element.

Go to a bearing supply or similar industrial supply store to get what you need. They could have special ordered the exact lenghts I needed but I just took stock lenghts and cut them to fit. Total cost for two shafts with brass sleeves for spacers (aluminum was a special order), bolts and nylon lock nuts was less than $5
    Most all Fox and Progressive bushing spacers are the same size. I swap the spacers out from my Fox RC, DHX coil, and DHX-Air with my 5th Element coils with no fitment problems. All my Cane Creek and Stratos shocks used the same sized spacers too...and I hear that Romic is the same also, but I've never had one to test that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just got news that my Rocco will be delivered with a TI spring, that will be slick, a Nomad with a TI spring Rocco, you guys will be jealous! hahaha

Boulder chucker
    Just got news that my Rocco will be delivered with a TI spring, that will be slick, a Nomad with a TI spring Rocco, you guys will be jealous! hahaha
    Bast*rd!!!

TNC
    noMAD man

Nah, you'll be dead...

by the time that Nomad gets there...LOL. And then of course you realize that you're going to be a guinea pig for that Marz rear shock which will probably have to be sent back at least 3 or 4 times...then the Float R you ordered as a back up will develop a stuck down the first time you use it...obviously from a bad batch of seals...then the discovery will be made that all Nomad frames will be recalled because of a design oversight resulting in frame cracking on all of them...and then you'll be searching out a pawn shop to buy a gun to end it all.

Well, Banz, maybe all of that won't happen, but I thought I'd give you some dark things to think about that would perhaps bring all of this bubbly joy down a notch or two. Nobody should be this happy about a new bike purchase...it's not healthy.

Oh...also be aware that high dollar Ti spring won't even be close to your needed weight rate for your application.

I know...that was just downright mean!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwaved
    Bast*rd!!!
    Wow, that's the nicest thing I've been told in a long while, you are so nice to me.

Ho well, what can I say, you and TNC are already jealous and I haven't even posted pictures of my new ride yet. I already can imagine the type of words you are gonna be using when you see me taking it out of it's box, shining that bling bling TI spring on the velvety Rocco red and then fainting shamefully in front of your computer screen looking at the next picture of me off a nice jump with a flash of red and black below me and 5 blured letters, N o m a d

Boulder chucker
    Wow, that's the nicest thing I've been told in a long while, you are so nice to me.

Ho well, what can I say, you and TNC are already jealous and I haven't even posted pictures of my new ride yet. I already can imagine the type of words you are gonna be using when you see me taking it out of it's box, shining that bling bling TI spring on the velvety Rocco red and then fainting shamefully in front of your computer screen looking at the next picture of me off a nice jump with a flash of red and black below me and 5 blured letters, N o m a d

You know I'm joking with you!!

Difficult to get sarcasm to come through the computer!

So how did you get them to throw in the Ti spring?

IJR
    I Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Most all Fox and Progressive bushing spacers are the same size. I swap the spacers out from my Fox RC, DHX coil, and DHX-Air with my 5th Element coils with no fitment problems. .
    My shocks don't fit into your Most All category. The shaft on my dhx air is .375" OD, the shaft on the 5th is .5" OD. ID on the fox spacer is .376, ID on the 5th is .501.

As soon I get the dhx back from fox I'll see if they have the same bushing size and are just using different size shafts and spacers to make it difficult on us end users.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You know I'm joking with you!!

Difficult to get sarcasm to come through the computer!

So how did you get them to throw in the Ti spring?
    Ho ya, that's what all the name callers say, hahaha

Throwing in the TI spring was easy:

- I said: I want a TI spring for my Rocco

- Esquire said: ho ok, it would be this $$$

- I said: ho ok, throw it in then

- Esquire said: ho ok, my pleasure

Then I immediately started teasing you about it!

Boulder chucker

Then I immediately started teasing you about it!

yeah, that's what I thought...you bought it. Just making sure you didn't sliiide one over on us and not tell about it!

Any update on the arrival day?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yeah, that's what I thought...you bought it. Just making sure you didn't sliiide one over on us and not tell about it!

Any update on the arrival day?
    Well, I don't want to get myself too excited, BUT, according to Esquire, my frame shipped from SantaCruz on the 9th!!!! So if the carriage doesn't get stuck in the middle of Maine then I should get it in a few weeks. Gotta be patient, when Drumstix started to get excited with his frame he ended up waiting and waiting so I'm trying to stay calm, reeeeelaxed, not excite myselffffffff, haaaaaaaaa, I'm gonna get mine before you! hahahahahaha

TNC
    noMAD man

Apples & Oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by IJR
    My shocks don't fit into your Most All category. The shaft on my dhx air is .375" OD, the shaft on the 5th is .5" OD. ID on the fox spacer is .376, ID on the 5th is .501.

As soon I get the dhx back from fox I'll see if they have the same bushing size and are just using different size shafts and spacers to make it difficult on us end users.
    I think we're talking two different part's measurements here. I'm talking about the actual shock eye size inner diameter...or the outer diameter of the spacers that fit into the shock eye...with shock eye bushing in place of course. All of these shocks use a .5" ID eye. I just pulled out all of my shocks and even pulled the DHX-AIR off my Nomad to do a travel measurement in reference to another post here. The ID on all these "shock eyelets" is .5". I notice you're using the term "shaft". I have some spacers that are actually steel shafts rather than aluminum "push-in" spacers, but they are still .5" outer diameter. In fact I have two DHX-Air shocks, one on a Bullit, and they are all .5" OD shock eyes. I did find an old Rock Shox Deluxe in my parts bin, and its shock eyes had a .4" ID...but everything else was .5". I also have a pair of Manitou 4-Way Air shocks, and they use a non-standard shock eye.

I did notice that the spacer ID changes from my Nomad to my Bullit shock spacers. The Bullit uses 8mm bolts, while the Nomad uses a slightly larger diameter shaft through the spacer...something along the lines of 9 or 10 mm. Now, if I wanted to use my 5th Element coil or DHX coil off of one of my Bullits...8.5 X 2.5, same as Nomad...I would just swap the Nomad spacers into either of the Bullit shocks and be good to go. Also, all of these shocks have the same width at each shock eye...(.5")...so you can mix and match spacers all day.

If we're talking about something different here, let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images