Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

April 1st updates?

I'm on the market for a new bike, signs point that i'd need a Bronson, question is should i wait to April 1? Looks like there might be an update coming up. What do you guys thunk?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    There is always that possibility. On the one hand, it would be a pretty short model cycle if they update it already. On the other hand, they sold a ton of Bronsons, so they have definitely gotten their R&D money back by now.
    Formerly Icantdrive65

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'd wait until April 1st. I bought my Bronson like two weeks before they announced the new Nomad. At the time, I didn't know that Santa Cruz had a tradition of announcing new bikes on the 1st. Had I known about the Nomad, I would have got that instead. I'd wait so you don't run the risk of missing out.

mtbr member
    I would wait. Usually companies wait 3-4 years before making a major update to a frame. So there is a possibility a new bronson might be coming out. But, there were photos of a bronson with a new color at the Andes Pacifico Enduro but it had no changes to the frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am also worried about any potential new bikes. Got a demo next week 5010 vs bronson and want to order one asap.
    however if they are changing in April i will wait.
    both bikes are almost 2 years old now so updates likely?
    do the recent colour changes really count as updates?

mtbr member
    Yo are right, both bronson & 5010 are due for a overhaul that nomad received. I wouldn't count color change as an update.

mtbr member

Maybe there are few clues here...

April 1st updates?-p5pb11914129.jpg
    April 1st updates?-screen-shot-2015-02-19-9.21.10-am.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails April 1st updates?-captura_de_ecr%E3_021215_103346_am.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by themanro; 1 Week Ago at 10:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I hope you guys are right. I'll be waiting patiently for another VPLS like they did a few years ago. Got my Nickel frame for $675. Would be stoked on a deal repeat, even if it's yesterday's geometry

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by themanro View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb11914129.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	297.6 KB 
ID:	965729
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 9.21.10 AM.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	965732
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 9.23.42 AM.png
Views: 1461
Size:  289.2 KB
    Why'd you throw a picture of Intense bikes in there?
    SC Tallboy C : SC Nomad 3 : Fuji Altamira CX : Giant Propel Adv SL

mtbr member
    my bad

mtbr member
    The mint green bike had the old style lower link and all external routing. It was simply a different colorway. The white one also looks like it has a current gen Bronson lower link. I can't imagine them staying with that configuration on a new Bronson. If they redo it my guess is updated geometry with a longer front end, slightly lower BB, slightly slacker HT, new style links, internal routing and 16.9 or shorter CS.

I can dream can't I?

mtbr member
    You are right, nothing on those pics looks like a new stuff. I guess we will just have to wait and see...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The Nomad update was planned before the Solo and the Bronson were ever even considered. I'd imagine on a Solo and a Bronson SC would want to try to keep compatibility with 2x groupsets which is something it was able to ignore on the Nomad but as the two of them are classed as trail bikes having them without this would rule them out of a massive target market.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    SC have never updated on as little as a 2 year cycle. It's not going to happen with the Bronson this year. The Bronson is still their best seller and they will stick with that, the model MO is a colour change to keep it ticking over. Another 12 mths yet for a new Bronson is the sure bet.

Anything new will be an (approximately) 100mm travel FS 27.5. That will be an absolute rocket - and probably mean some of us will have to get one of those too - N+1.

Don't get me wrong, I want an update as well as I like the fit and feel of a Nomad, but the Bronson is much better at pedaling and trail riding. Alas, I'll have to get a Bronson for year or so and then update later. It's one of the best all round bikes out there, so better to have one in the hand now and enjoy a top class machine.

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    maybe an alloy nomad?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have a demo on 1st March on both 5010 and bronson so i think its a good idea to wait another month to see if any updates come.
    would kick myself if i dodnt wait and a whole bunch of updates came through.

another question....... for trail centre riding which is better 5010 or Bronson. consider i am 35 with commitments now so days charging hard are gone!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by themanro View Post
    I'm on the market for a new bike, signs point that i'd need a Bronson, question is should i wait to April 1? Looks like there might be an update coming up. What do you guys thunk?
    Some of us believe that the Tallboy LT is due for an update!

Waiting until April 1 is wise. Crankworx Rotorua is right around then as is the Sea Otter Classic - new designs sometimes show up at the latter event.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by neilingle View Post
    another question....... for trail centre riding which is better 5010 or Bronson. consider i am 35 with commitments now so days charging hard are gone!
    5010 is a rocket. I would take it over the Bronson for everything but the steepest DH. I demoed both on local trails and felt the need for the slacker head tube angle on the steepest trails, so I am going with Bronson. I also happen to like the higher BB for clearance.
    Formerly Icantdrive65

mtbr member

April 1st updates?

I can't see SC updating the Bronson or Solo with anything other than new colors. They are only 2 years old. SC usually operates on a 4 year cycle on their bikes. The LTc is the only bike left for them to update and some of the photos doing the rounds are of a 29er... Seems to be a no-brainer. SC clarified in a post on Instagram that the mint green Bronson was a custom color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    ... and some of the photos doing the rounds are of a 29er... Seems to be a no-brainer.
    Where are these 29er pics you speak of

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    From a May 6, 2014 bike radar interview with Joe Graney:

"Santa Cruz launched an extensive 650b salvo last year. In the process, the company cleared out most of its 26in models. Some, but not all, of these bikes were replaced with 650b counterparts. Is there a place for shorter-travel 650b models (bikes with less suspension travel than the Solo) in the Santa Cruz line? Is a 650b hardtail in the works? What about a 650b XC full suspension?

Yes."

The "Yes" was Joe's answer. So the Highball was released in 650b. The Superlight is now 650b in small and medium frame sizes, but I don't think that would count as 650b XC full suspension. Maybe SC will bring back the Blur in 650b?

mtbr member
    a reworked Tallboy LT sounds most likely. Personally, I would love to see a real Tallboy TR with the option to go with 27.5+. First impressions with the semi-fat mediums were ... well impressive and despite the haters, Ild guess, the medium+ size is going to stay.

mtbr member
    It sounds like it's worth waiting till April 1st. I'm pretty set with Bronson, but waiting 1 month will save the frustration of knowing that you bought really expensive new bike that just got way better, in case if they do update it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by IstongKowldPaRin View Post
    maybe an alloy nomad?
    I think an alloy single pivot bike based on the Nomad geometry is far more likely than an alloy Nomad. I was under the impression that Santa Cruz is going to phase out alloy VPP bikes and replace them with their lower spec carbon C.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cmrocks View Post
    I think an alloy single pivot bike based on the Nomad geometry is far more likely than an alloy Nomad. I was under the impression that Santa Cruz is going to phase out alloy VPP bikes and replace them with their lower spec carbon C.
    I will order it the day its announced!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast