mtbr member

Anyone using an angleset on Bronson?

Results?

Thanks,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    I'm running the Cane Creek Angleset -1* with a 150mm Pike fork. I built it with this so do not have a comparison vs. a standard headset. The bike handles great with this, the only negative I can offer is the poor design of the Cane Creek Angleset. The gimble design allows for differing head tube lengths but in practice is problematic. I've had the fork off at least 15 times trying to get rid of the clunking. Watched all the how-to vid's, tons of grease, anti seize, rubbed my belly while swinging a dead chicken over my head to no avail, it's part of the deal I guess. Spoke with my local, respected LBS and they pretty much refuse to sell them anymore. I'd go with a Works head set. That's what I'm switching to. I'm done with Cane Creek.

mtbr member

I'm not on a Bronson, but on a TRc, and am running a -1 degree Works Components headset. The Works is an amazing piece of kit and the quality is top notch. I haven't had any weird sounds or strange feeling from the headset at all since the install. Oh, and it's half the price at around $100. Go with the works over the angleset if you want a set and forget angle adjust headset.
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Yes, I know all about the CC creaking problems from the DH forum and actually run a Works -1.5 deg on my 6 Point which is about as perfect as can be. Just curious about the handling on a bigger wheeled bike. Ideally I like a 65.5 deg HTA for my 26" FR oriented bikes but heard the higher axle on the 650b is like having a half degree slacker HTA so the "effective" angle on a Bronson would be 66.5ish? I was thinking of going to a -1 Works but I'm also going with a 160 pike which is about 8mm taller AC than the stock Fox 34 150 so... that would already reduce the HTA to about 66.6ish (wicked) actual and 66.1ish effective? That's "probably" going to be enough but just curious what others are finding. The Works version also won't lower back the BB height because the stack height of the lower cup is slightly taller than that of the Cane Creek 40 standard headset. I like low BB's so... decisions decisions!

Thanks,

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Yes, I know all about the CC creaking problems from the DH forum and actually run a Works -1.5 deg on my 6 Point which is about as perfect as can be. Just curious about the handling on a bigger wheeled bike. Ideally I like a 65.5 deg HTA for my 26" FR oriented bikes but heard the higher axle on the 650b is like having a half degree slacker HTA so the "effective" angle on a Bronson would be 66.5ish? I was thinking of going to a -1 Works but I'm also going with a 160 pike which is about 8mm taller AC than the stock Fox 34 150 so... that would already reduce the HTA to about 66.6ish actual and 66.1ish effective? That's "probably" going to be enough but just curious what others are finding. The Works version also won't lower back the BB height because the stack height of the lower cup is slightly taller than that of the Cane Creek 40 standard headset. I like low BB's so... decisions decisions!

Thanks,

G MAN
    Yeah, and the -1 works is more like a -1.25 or -1.5 because of the tall stack height. At least my -1 gave me about -1.3 actual change. That would be very slack with the 160 pike and the works headset, like in the mid to high 64's
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Yup, that's what I was worried about!

mtbr member

Bronsons feel slack standard I don't think i would ever put a angleset on mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I gained a little HTA by using a White Brother Loop fork (5mm shorter A-C than spec), but I actually like the set up now that I've ridden it a few times. Not sure exact degrees lost, but my BB is now right at 13.5". I'm sort of leery that an angleset would drop the BB even more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Can't go too slack if you start with 67HA.