mtbr member

Anyone upgrade the RL on a nickel to something else? I think my RL is toast...

Normally the air pressure holds steady over a few rides, I check it before going out, but the last couple rides it was down a good bit and I have higher than usual amounts of oil residue on the shock after a ride, I'm guessing I've lost a seal in there.

I'll check to see if there is a warranty but I may take the opportunity to upgrade to an rp23, advice? I know its a 7.875x2 shock so I assume as long as I stick to that size if I buy online its a direct swap, no proprietary end links like on a Specialized?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    should just be a standard shock, although youll prolly have to hold onto the reducers from your current shock.

smartass
    It's a 7.875x2 shock and it uses standard 8x22 mounting hardware, no special sizes or stupid yokes/links or anything.

But, there are a variety of available shock tunes out there, not just one 'standard' tune. So make sure you get a shock that's valved for the Nickel. The stock RP23 on mine is a low velocity/low rebound/175 boost valve tune.

That said, the RP23 on my Nickel is just 'fine.' If I were buying new, I'd probably look at the Rock Shox Monarch series, as a couple of people on here have given them great reviews.

mtbr member
    I was in a similar position as you on my butcher. It may be worth shipping your float off to a shock tuner as they can rebuild it for you and tailor it for your application. You can also find some good deals on the innerweb for closeout shocks. Most all but manitou shock hardware will interchange (i think) so you should be good there.

I picked up this one and it is light years ahead of my factory fox:
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Marzocchi Roco Air RC World Cup Rear Shock 2011
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member
    The ends are the same between Fox, Rockshox, and newer Manitou. Marzocchi I hear also. Just need to swap your aluminum bushings. I have the long travel RP23 on it now with small volume can (i'm 190lbs) and it's a very nice shock.

I do have a 7.875x2.25 Manitou Radium in the for classifieds.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    I was in a similar position as you on my butcher. It may be worth shipping your float off to a shock tuner as they can rebuild it for you and tailor it for your application. You can also find some good deals on the innerweb for closeout shocks. Most all but manitou shock hardware will interchange (i think) so you should be good there.

I picked up this one and it is light years ahead of my factory fox:
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Marzocchi Roco Air RC World Cup Rear Shock 2011

out of the three sizes available which one is recommended for the Nickel?

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, none of them are. The nickel is delivered with a 2.0" or you can upgrade to a 2.25" travel shock if you can use it.

It might be worth contacting bluesky and seeing if they can get you a leftover Roco WC in the correct size. Or you could see if another shop that has the correct size in stock will price match them.

IMHO, the APP seemed to work really well with the piggyback shock. I could run just enough pressure for small bump compliance and pump up the piggyback to keep it from bottoming out. It hasn't tried to buck me off yet either......BONUS

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxtremec View Post
    out of the three sizes available which one is recommended for the Nickel?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    would you recommend something like this?
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Marzocchi Roco Air LO Rear Shock 2011

I just built my SC Nickel and haven't even road it yet with the winter weather but I'm almost thinking of replacing the shock already. Doesn't seem like anyone is happy with RP23.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    im running a rockshox monarch rt3 high volume on my 08 santa cruz blur xc frame i just finished building. I am very happy with the shock and i really like the pro pedal type setting as i find it to be firmer than the rp23's pro pedal. Also the new monarchs have dual flow dampening which helps.

mtbr member
    You're already ahead if you have an rp23 and I wouldn't rush out to change it until you have a chance to ride the bike. The float r is the shock to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxtremec View Post
    would you recommend something like this?
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Marzocchi Roco Air LO Rear Shock 2011

I just built my SC Nickel and haven't even road it yet with the winter weather but I'm almost thinking of replacing the shock already. Doesn't seem like anyone is happy with RP23.

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden the Marzocchi or new Monarch, but I really like my RP23 on my Nickel.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    just get an air can seal kit for $15 and do the regular service before you write it off. not holding pressure is an easy problem to fix if the damper is ok

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    just get an air can seal kit for $15 and do the regular service before you write it off. not holding pressure is an easy problem to fix if the damper is ok
    ^"Yes" to the air can service. Unless you just really want to try a new shock anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2010

+1 to trying a seal kit first. Maybe an I ring got pinched somewhere and tore or twisted.

mtbr member
    May 2010

It's not leaking I'm assuming

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBY View Post
    ^"Yes" to the air can service. Unless you just really want to try a new shock anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by shreddin22 View Post
    +1 to trying a seal kit first. Maybe an I ring got pinched somewhere and tore or twisted.
    Schweeew! For a second there I was worried that I was losing my mind by thinking that an air sleeve kit is the answer.

OP, all your shock (probably) needs is $15 and 30 minutes and it will be back to normal. Have you ever done the air sleeve service? It's obnoxiously simple. So much so that I do it twice a year. Trust me. It's easy. What you are describing is precisely the symptoms of a blown seal. An easy (and cheap) fix for sure.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!