mtbr member

Anyone upgrade to 120mm+ fork on superlight 29?

I read that the 2013 SL 29s have 120mm forks and I've also seen a few posts stating the extra 20mm makes a big difference. I am looking to smooth out the ride and slow down some of the twitchyness of my 2012 RXC 29er for the more aggressive trails out here in NM.

What has been your experience with the larger fork and has anyone tried a 130mm?
    Thanks in advance,
    Marcus

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just to confirm, I picked up my 2013 Superlight 29er today and yes it does have the Fox 32 float 29 120mm fork. I have not had a chance to ride it yet. This is my 1st 29er so cant really comment on your question. Many of the websites do not have the updated specs on the fork of the 2013-most still list it as 100mm. I ride on bony technical New England trails so I can let you know how this compares to my previous ride- a Specialized Epic.

Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    I read that the 2013 SL 29s have 120mm forks and I've also seen a few posts stating the extra 20mm makes a big difference. I am looking to smooth out the ride and slow down some of the twitchyness of my 2012 RXC 29er for the more aggressive trails out here in NM.

What has been your experience with the larger fork and has anyone tried a 130mm?
    Thanks in advance,
    Marcus

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Straight up I went with a F120 up front for the reasons you've stated.

Also just recently I've replaced the shock bushings with Burgtec's offset bushing effectively slacking the head angle another degree.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moskie1 View Post
    Just to confirm, I picked up my 2013 Superlight 29er today and yes it does have the Fox 32 float 29 120mm fork. I have not had a chance to ride it yet. This is my 1st 29er so cant really comment on your question. Many of the websites do not have the updated specs on the fork of the 2013-most still list it as 100mm. I ride on bony technical New England trails so I can let you know how this compares to my previous ride- a Specialized Epic.
    thanks for confirming the 13s come with a larger fork. you're gonna love the SL29

Quote Originally Posted by Gripo View Post
    Straight up I went with a F120 up front for the reasons you've stated.

Also just recently I've replaced the shock bushings with Burgtec's offset bushing effectively slacking the head angle another degree.
    did you buy the fork or did it come on the bike? how does it compare with the extra 20mm and degree ?

Thanks again,
    Marcus

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    thanks for confirming the 13s come with a larger fork. you're gonna love the SL29

did you buy the fork or did it come on the bike? how does it compare with the extra 20mm and degree ?

Thanks again,
    Marcus
    I built my bike from the frame up, I'm not an xc angles fan so a 120 was always going to be my first choice.I had no complaints about the bike with 120, it felt stable enough for what the bike is meant to be.....but I love to experiment.

Having a slack TRc as my second bike I thought I'd give the offset bushes a try to get a similar feel to it.

The bushing change wasn't dramatic, but enough to be noticeable and positive....around 1deg. Bikes a little stabler, steering is a smidgeon slower and in general the bike is a little more playful. ie. I'm able to wheelie it and hold small manuals which is great for a 29r. BB drop hasn't been enough to cause pedal strikes.

I'd say give the Burgtec bushings a try......I won't be heading down the longer than 120 fork route, that would be an indication I bought the wrong bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo View Post
    I built my bike from the frame up, I'm not an xc angles fan so a 120 was always going to be my first choice.I had no complaints about the bike with 120, it felt stable enough for what the bike is meant to be.....but I love to experiment.

Having a slack TRc as my second bike I thought I'd give the offset bushes a try to get a similar feel to it.

The bushing change wasn't dramatic, but enough to be noticeable and positive....around 1deg. Bikes a little stabler, steering is a smidgeon slower and in general the bike is a little more playful. ie. I'm able to wheelie it and hold small manuals which is great for a 29r. BB drop hasn't been enough to cause pedal strikes.

I'd say give the Burgtec bushings a try......I won't be heading down the longer than 120 fork route, that would be an indication I bought the wrong bike.

Good info! thanks for the response.

marcus

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I think 120 is the only way to roll on the superlight 29er.
    Have a rev 120 on mine.

mtbr member
    Been hitting up ebay and online shops for a good deal on a 120 fork. Definitely want to calm this thing down a bit.