mtbr member

anyone tried a floating brake on a pre 07 heckler?

i see that brake therapy makes a floating brake kit for the pre 07 heckler, and i'm wondering if anyone here has tried one, and noticed if it makes any difference in your opinion....i know that the new bullit's have the option of a factory floating brake kit, and i read a review a bit ago that sounded promising....anyone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have an 05 Heckler and had an 04 Bullit

I own an 05 Heckler and recently sold my 04 Bullit which was set up with the Brake Therapy Floating brake. I found the Bullit was greatly improved when I added the floating brake. With my Heckler, I've never felt a need for the floater as brake jack is really not noticeable on this bike. Both bikes use the Fox DHX 5.0 coil shock. The brake jack was very noticeable on the Bullit when descending on loose rocky/rutted trails which we have plenty of here in Norcal. The Heckler however is a consistant performer. I wouldn't add the floater to a Heckler. Perhaps there would be a slight improvement but it will also add 1.5lbs and complexity to removing the rear wheel. My biggest complaint about the BT floating brakes was it was such a pain in the rear to reomove the rear wheel. Almost to the point of not on the trail friendly if you got a flat. Part of this is probably because of the Deemax wheels I used that have a two piece axle. I ran a Michelin DH24 tubeless DH tire with stans so I never had a flat. But if I had one it would have been a pain trailside.

mtbr member
    right on man thanks for the info....it's good to get someone's perspective who has essentially ridden the bike both ways.....i thought about fabbing my own mount, but now that you say it's not really needed, i'll take your word for it

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, Santa Cruz got it right with the Heckler. At least the previous version and I imagine the new model is great too. I have not ridden the latest model yet. As for the Bullit, Santa Cruz got it right with the latest model. They have the slickest floating brake setup out there in my opinion. A great improvement over the BT design. I'd love to have one of the new Bullits or Hecklers for that matter.