mtbr member

Anyone spent time on both the TRc and Tallboy LTc?

Interested in hearing comparisons. Both strike me as great all rounders that can be used for XC, and AM. Other than the obvious difference in wheel size, how do they compare?

mtbr member
    I'm curious to know if a 650B wheel fits in the TRc as well if that topic pops up here.

mtbr member
    And for what it's worth you're basically asking about people's preference of big wheels vs. small wheels... I'm sold on big wheels for the majority of the type of riding that most people do. If I know a trail really well it is fun bouncing around off of things and getting the wheels in the air a lot, but steep downhill rocky descents are much more fluid on the bigger wheel IMO... I didn't ride the TRc, but rode several other 26 inch wheeled high end fullys but just really preferred the ride quality of the big wheel for most types of riding that I do.
    I love the Santa Cruz VPP link. I found it easier to wheelie than any other full suspension bike I tried out and was the stiffest when climbing so if you like to get your wheels off the ground a lot I'd ride the Blur and if you like to launch yourself a little less frequently I like the Tallboy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    Interested in hearing comparisons. Both strike me as great all rounders that can be used for XC, and AM. Other than the obvious difference in wheel size, how do they compare?
    I own a regular 4" Tallboy and a Trc (set up with 650b wheels). I have also ridden a TBLT.
    They are all great bikes. I am 5'9" and the TBLT felt a bit too big for me. I could not get the front low enough to my liking (no spacers, inverted stem)
    I like 29ers, my Tallboy is 24.7lbs with a dropper post. It's a great XC/Trail bike. TBLT felt really good on climbes, very close to my Tallboy. And it was more capable on the way down.
    26" TRc is very fun bike and can be built very light for XC racing or a bit heavier for AM.
    650b TRc keeps the agility of a 26" and has more roll over properties. Still very fun bike.
    If I was on the market for a new bike, I would wait to see if SC comes with a 650b specific bike in trail segment - 125-140mm
    If yo are a big guy, go for the TBLT.
    If you like more agile bike go for the TRc, maybe 650b TRc.
    The best would be to try them all before you decide

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have both. It is really close to what you would expect. I agree with the previous posts. I am 5'9" 155lbs. If I was going to do a Super D or Enduro race I would take the Tbltc, it is fast.

I posted a tiny review in the tallboy section Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

GMM
    mtbr member
    I demo'd both-- the TRc much longer than the TBLTc, which I spent about 2 hours on. So take my opinion with a grain of salt since I don't have extended time on the TBLTc. However, I thought the TRc climbed markedly better. It just felt so light and quick. The TBLTc was no slouch, but I thought the TRc was a rocket uphill. Funny, I have seen others say it wanders, etc. I didn't get that at all.

Downhill, the TBLTc is a beast. Very confidence inspiring, actually had me going into turns way too hot at first since I didn't feel the need to slow down over trail chatter. It's a bike you can plow through chunk. TRc feels incredibly playful, and is easy to flick around. On single track without a bunch of chunk, I think it would be hard to beat the TRc downhill. When the trail gets a little more technical, TBLTc is going to win. Again, these are my opinions based on Demo time. Those who own will have a better perspective as it does take awhile to learn a bikes tendencies and strengths. Wish I could buy both

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    There is no obvious winner in this comparison.

I have a TRC and love it. I have several days out on a TB LT.

The TB LT is great for charging downhill through rock gardens, roots or anything chunky. It can really tractor up technical climbs and loose stuff.

The TRC in contrast is more of a rocket. It is a super fun bike to ride and rails through corners exceptionally well. The TRC is by no means twitchy but in comparison to the TB LT it can get knocked around a bit in the baby heads.

I would sum it up as which do you value more, agility or stability ? Keep in mind these are relative strengths, two great bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GMM View Post
    I demo'd both-- the TRc much longer than the TBLTc, which I spent about 2 hours on. So take my opinion with a grain of salt since I don't have extended time on the TBLTc. However, I thought the TRc climbed markedly better. It just felt so light and quick. The TBLTc was no slouch, but I thought the TRc was a rocket uphill. Funny, I have seen others say it wanders, etc. I didn't get that at all.

Downhill, the TBLTc is a beast. Very confidence inspiring, actually had me going into turns way too hot at first since I didn't feel the need to slow down over trail chatter. It's a bike you can plow through chunk. TRc feels incredibly playful, and is easy to flick around. On single track without a bunch of chunk, I think it would be hard to beat the TRc downhill. When the trail gets a little more technical, TBLTc is going to win. Again, these are my opinions based on Demo time. Those who own will have a better perspective as it does take awhile to learn a bikes tendencies and strengths. Wish I could buy both
    this is exactly how i felt as well
    here we go again