mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Anyone running the new 2014 Pike fork on their Tallboy LTc?

I'm looking at replacing my current Fox 140 34 fork on Tallboy LTc with the new Pike 150 or 140mm fork but in the 46mm offset. Here in NZ they are not receiving the 51mm offset fork. Anyone running a 46mm offset fork? and if so how are they finding it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Is there anyone using the Pike 150 or 140 on their Tallboy LT?

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Curious about this as well. Hope someone can chime in!
    Can you hear me now?

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm running the Pike with 140mm & 46 mm offset on my Rip9 RDO & really like it, H/A much the same as LTC.

It is a stand out fork, Others I have ridden to compare, White brothers loop, Revelation RCT3, Revelation RL, Revelation XX , Fox34, I also have a x Fusion Trace to try next week as well.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 09-29-2013 at 11:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm ordering my new LTC with the 150 mm Pike. It felt very smooth out of the box and looks great with the black frame. I think it will be very plush on small and medium bumps. I will update when I take it out for a ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Using with standard head angle? or Angle Set?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just put a 150mm Pike on my TBLTc and it transformed the bike. HUGE improvement over the Fox 34 140mm. Bike feels more settled and planted everywhere, almost to the point of making it feel like I upgraded the rear shock too (might be my next move). Be aware that the axle-to-crown measurement of the 150mm Pike is nearly identical to the 140mm 34, so you won't slack out your HA at all, if that's what you're looking to do. I was wanting to slack mine out a bit, so I may look into some sort of angle-set headset, but not the CC, as I didn't like it on my V10.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    So, I need a little explanation. I plan on building a new Tallboy LTc sometime in the next 3-6 months. I will be putting a new 140 mm Pike on the LTc. My question is about the offset. Can someone please give me a very good and simple explanation about what the offset is, and how it affects the bike? Here is what I think I understand about it. Based off everything that I can find on these forms is that it has to do with the bottom of the fork where the axle/hub connects to it. The offset is how much the drops come off the fork, which in the case of the Pike you have 46 and 51 mm. Forgive me if I am completely wrong and sound like an idiot. I have noticed that the 51mm offset forks are much harder to keep in stock on QBP. I am just trying to figure out which offset I should get when I build the bike. Thanks for any help given.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    According to Santa Cruz, the stock offset on the LT is 51mm, so I went with that for the Pike and it feels great.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kwolfkill View Post
    According to Santa Cruz, the stock offset on the LT is 51mm, so I went with that for the Pike and it feels great.
    Enough said for me. I guess that I have to make sure I get the 51 mm offset. I would still love to know if my understanding of the offset is correct or not if anyone knows.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neblackb View Post
    I would still love to know if my understanding of the offset is correct or not if anyone knows.
    Read thru this: Tallboy LTc and Pike 160mm

I didn't answer the last post because I don't think the OP caught what I was saying...which is I can body-english the bike at slower speeds, but I'll take high speed stability in trade for a more sluggish steering at low speeds any day. Plus, I run a 750mm bar which slows down a bike's steering WAY more anyway...

So, I got a pretty significant HTA change when I slapped the 150Pike on my TBLTc. BUT, it could be that it's NOT the Pike, but the 2.5/2.3, DHF/DHR2 (respectively) on the bike...I got a bit steeper than 67.5*, but not quite 68.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    I just put a 150mm Pike on my TBLTc and it transformed the bike. HUGE improvement over the Fox 34 140mm. Bike feels more settled and planted everywhere, almost to the point of making it feel like I upgraded the rear shock too (might be my next move). Be aware that the axle-to-crown measurement of the 150mm Pike is nearly identical to the 140mm 34, so you won't slack out your HA at all, if that's what you're looking to do. I was wanting to slack mine out a bit, so I may look into some sort of angle-set headset, but not the CC, as I didn't like it on my V10.
    I have been wondering this as well. I do not want to slack out my HTA so I was thinking I needed to go with a 140mm but after reading this 150mm may be what I need if it doesn't change the HTA.

Is this what others have experienced as well?
    2013 SC Tallboy LTC
    2013 SC TRC
    2012 Jackal
    2014 Heckler

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If you're doing a Pike go 150. I really enjoyed the bike with a 140 fork, but 150 really helped it come to life. The bike feels more balanced and happier. There's another thread on the pike/angel set with some more info. See my blog link, too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Anyone thought about a 160 Pike? I could get one for my Tallboy Ltc for a good price, but I am not sure how 160 would change the handling of the bike....

What do you think?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So am I better off sending my 2013 CTD fork to Push and get the elite tune for $325 or should I just bite the bullet and get the 150mm Solo Air Pike with the Works Components 1.5 headset. Will the Pike perform better that the Pushed CTD? The 2013 CTD shock is way to harsh on small rocks. The RS Lyrix on my sons Nomad is smooth as butter compared to my 2013 CTD.
    Thanks, Also who has the best price on a Pike

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had a 140 pike on my ltc and the bike was just ok. Switched over to my 140 rev coil and it was a whole new bike, love it now. I just cant get over the feel of a coil, I will pedal the extra weigh any day. So, today I put a lyrik u-turn spring in my new pike, max is160mm, fit perfect. Cant wait to take it for a test ride and feel how mjch stiffer it will be than my rev.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by peter19ue View Post
    So am I better off sending my 2013 CTD fork to Push and get the elite tune for $325 or should I just bite the bullet and get the 150mm Solo Air Pike with the Works Components 1.5 headset. Will the Pike perform better that the Pushed CTD? The 2013 CTD shock is way to harsh on small rocks. The RS Lyrix on my sons Nomad is smooth as butter compared to my 2013 CTD.
    Thanks, Also who has the best price on a Pike
    given that the Push 34 kit was released last week, I think it highly unlikely you'll find anyone with sufficient time on both the Push kit and the new Pike. As I've posted before, the Push kit is a tremendous upgrade and leaves me wanting nothing more (ok, I agree with morepheus that nothing beats the feel of a well tuned coil, but my LTc is my weight-weenie bike and the Push kit feels close)
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    I just put a 150mm Pike on my TBLTc and it transformed the bike. HUGE improvement over the Fox 34 140mm. Bike feels more settled and planted everywhere, almost to the point of making it feel like I upgraded the rear shock too (might be my next move). Be aware that the axle-to-crown measurement of the 150mm Pike is nearly identical to the 140mm 34, so you won't slack out your HA at all, if that's what you're looking to do.
    What A to C length did you measure for the 150mm Pike and the 140mm Fox 34?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    What A to C length did you measure for the 150mm Pike and the 140mm Fox 34?
    There's some different stories here regarding that but sounds like the consensus is the 150 Pike is 7mm longer than the 140 Fox 34.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks again for the info. I am going to save some $$ and send my fork to Push and get the elite tune for my CTD 29. I am sure it will be a lot better than it is now. I will probably have them tune my CTD shock as well

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    There's some different stories here regarding that but sounds like the consensus is the 150 Pike is 7mm longer than the 140 Fox 34.
    I have personally confirmed this. The published numbers from the manufacturers are correct.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Hope Tallboy LTc with 1 Pike and Cane Creek DBair CS

Quote Originally Posted by ricki1nz View Post
    Is there anyone using the Pike 150 or 140 on their Tallboy LT?
    Though the origin of this thread is now quite old, thought I would share my upgrade experience. I have a 2013 TBLTc, SRAM XX1, Roval carbon wheels, 750 bar with 50mm stem (inverted).

I have recently changed to the Rockshox Pike 150, using a Works angle set headset to slacken the front to about 68 degrees, plus a CC DBair CS.
    Its a completely different bike now, for the better.
    Descends so much better, esp at speed in rock gardens, and turns so much better. Drops and jumps have smooth cushioned landings.
    I was worried that the extra weight of the CCDBair might weaken climbing performance, but it hasn't. In fact on twisting, fast flowing climbs I'm faster, as the bike handles so much better. Only use the CS for grinding steep climbs.
    Very happy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a similar set up too, same drive train, wheels and shock/fork combo but a 140mm Pike. What tune did you settle on for the rear shock and at what sag? The suspension is so much better with the upgraded fork and shock it's truely transformative for the bike.