Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone running the new 2014 Pike fork on their Tallboy LTc?

11K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  pking 
#1 ·
I'm looking at replacing my current Fox 140 34 fork on Tallboy LTc with the new Pike 150 or 140mm fork but in the 46mm offset. Here in NZ they are not receiving the 51mm offset fork. Anyone running a 46mm offset fork? and if so how are they finding it?

#22 ·
Tallboy LTc with 1 Pike and Cane Creek DBair CS

Though the origin of this thread is now quite old, thought I would share my upgrade experience. I have a 2013 TBLTc, SRAM XX1, Roval carbon wheels, 750 bar with 50mm stem (inverted).

I have recently changed to the Rockshox Pike 150, using a Works angle set headset to slacken the front to about 68 degrees, plus a CC DBair CS.
Its a completely different bike now, for the better.
Descends so much better, esp at speed in rock gardens, and turns so much better. Drops and jumps have smooth cushioned landings.
I was worried that the extra weight of the CCDBair might weaken climbing performance, but it hasn't. In fact on twisting, fast flowing climbs I'm faster, as the bike handles so much better. Only use the CS for grinding steep climbs.
Very happy!

#4 · (Edited)
I'm running the Pike with 140mm & 46 mm offset on my Rip9 RDO & really like it, H/A much the same as LTC.

It is a stand out fork, Others I have ridden to compare, White brothers loop, Revelation RCT3, Revelation RL, Revelation XX , Fox34, I also have a x Fusion Trace to try next week as well.

#7 ·
I just put a 150mm Pike on my TBLTc and it transformed the bike. HUGE improvement over the Fox 34 140mm. Bike feels more settled and planted everywhere, almost to the point of making it feel like I upgraded the rear shock too (might be my next move). Be aware that the axle-to-crown measurement of the 150mm Pike is nearly identical to the 140mm 34, so you won't slack out your HA at all, if that's what you're looking to do. I was wanting to slack mine out a bit, so I may look into some sort of angle-set headset, but not the CC, as I didn't like it on my V10.

#12 ·
I have been wondering this as well. I do not want to slack out my HTA so I was thinking I needed to go with a 140mm but after reading this 150mm may be what I need if it doesn't change the HTA.

Is this what others have experienced as well?

#8 ·
So, I need a little explanation. I plan on building a new Tallboy LTc sometime in the next 3-6 months. I will be putting a new 140 mm Pike on the LTc. My question is about the offset. Can someone please give me a very good and simple explanation about what the offset is, and how it affects the bike? Here is what I think I understand about it. Based off everything that I can find on these forms is that it has to do with the bottom of the fork where the axle/hub connects to it. The offset is how much the drops come off the fork, which in the case of the Pike you have 46 and 51 mm. Forgive me if I am completely wrong and sound like an idiot. I have noticed that the 51mm offset forks are much harder to keep in stock on QBP. I am just trying to figure out which offset I should get when I build the bike. Thanks for any help given.:cool:

#15 ·
So am I better off sending my 2013 CTD fork to Push and get the elite tune for $325 or should I just bite the bullet and get the 150mm Solo Air Pike with the Works Components 1.5 headset. Will the Pike perform better that the Pushed CTD? The 2013 CTD shock is way to harsh on small rocks. The RS Lyrix on my sons Nomad is smooth as butter compared to my 2013 CTD.
Thanks, Also who has the best price on a Pike

#17 ·
given that the Push 34 kit was released last week, I think it highly unlikely you'll find anyone with sufficient time on both the Push kit and the new Pike. As I've posted before, the Push kit is a tremendous upgrade and leaves me wanting nothing more (ok, I agree with morepheus that nothing beats the feel of a well tuned coil, but my LTc is my weight-weenie bike and the Push kit feels close)

#16 ·
I had a 140 pike on my ltc and the bike was just ok. Switched over to my 140 rev coil and it was a whole new bike, love it now. I just cant get over the feel of a coil, I will pedal the extra weigh any day. So, today I put a lyrik u-turn spring in my new pike, max is160mm, fit perfect. Cant wait to take it for a test ride and feel how mjch stiffer it will be than my rev.

#23 ·
I have a similar set up too, same drive train, wheels and shock/fork combo but a 140mm Pike. What tune did you settle on for the rear shock and at what sag? The suspension is so much better with the upgraded fork and shock it's truely transformative for the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.