mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Anyone running 36T cassette on a 26" bike?

Thinking about it for my blur LT2. Have heard 36t is only for 29ers and some people say they are doing it on 26. Interested if anyone has done it on an SC blur or similar! don't know how VPP impacts it.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Big Gulps, Alright!
    My BLT2 came stock with an 11-36.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Interesting. Was that a single front ring? 9sp or 10sp?
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

b a n n e d
    My BLT also came stock with an 11-36. Originally as a 3x10 setup, now 2x10. I needed that 36 when I got started too, thats for sure!
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    I run a 2x10 on my Nomad C with an 11-36 in the rear and a 24/36 in the front. So much of the rear gearing preference also is based on the fitness of the rider and the terrain you are riding. Most places around the Rockies have some gnarly long climbs that are steep. I know there are other areas of the country that have long climbs too and they probably also can use low gearing. My24/36 granny isn't as low as my 22/34 was before. So another factor is the chain rings you are running up front too. It doesn't really impact the VPP that much unless you are spinning way too low a gear for the climb you are on and you don't have enough chain tension. If thats the case just shift down a gear or two.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    11-36 rocks on my 26"

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Yep, all four of my rides have 11-36 10spd cassettes. Hell, it's almost the standard for ten speed at this point, regardless of wheel size.

A very, very nice added gearing range option for running a 1x drivetrain if you've not decided to splash out for the 11speed stuff yet.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Have heard 36t is only for 29ers
    I read similar things when the 36T first came out--I think you needed a special extra strong Shimano 29'er hub to withstand the torque. However, that is no longer true.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    As far as I know, 11-36 cassette has the widest range that Shimano currently offers. It is the best choice for 10-speed 1X setups regardless of wheel size. I have this setup on my NomadC.

But I bet Shimano is coming up with something new in this area to combat SRAM 1X11 drivetrains. I would say 1X drivetrains are pretty much standard now and Shimano has been left in the dust in this respect.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by mehukatti View Post
    As far as I know, 11-36 cassette has the widest range that Shimano currently offers. It is the best choice for 10-speed 1X setups regardless of wheel size. I have this setup on my NomadC.

But I bet Shimano is coming up with something new in this area to combat SRAM 1X11 drivetrains. I would say 1X drivetrains are pretty much standard now and Shimano has been left in the dust in this respect.
    I concur. I much prefer Shitmano to ScRAM but the 1x11 drivetrain is really appealing for my next build. The other major holdup for me though is that CK does not yet have an 11spd capable freehub (to the best of my knowledge). No way I'm giving up my CKs just for an 11th cog.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!