mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Anyone ride the new Heckler (2014)?

My LBS just started carrying them last week and was wondering if anyone picked one up yet. Would love to hear some feedback so...post them up!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just got back from my lbs and was told that the new funky blue painted heckler ships from SC on 8/31/13 to retail. All they had in stock was a black medium so no test rides for my big ass.

eb5
    mtbr member
    I'd like to see how it compares to the Bronson.

mtbr member
    It doesn't. At all. What it compares to are other single pivots on the market. Its a budget version of Santa Cruz ninja skills, but its still just a single pivot so it won't have the benefits of VPP like the Bronson.

Just know the that Heckler has been around as long as it has because the SC boys just don't make crap, and its going to outperform you.
    Stuff.

Creepy tooth fairy

It's a big wheeled Heckler not a cheap Bronson...

...and that is just fine. There may be a few out there that know this, but if you bolt on a highly tuneable shock to the Heckler, specifically a Cane Creek Double Barrel (now the DB Air) it will perform as well as any multi-link bike out there. I had a CCDB on my old Heckler and it pedaled and handled all situation I threw it into better than any Specialized I pedaled and was pretty damn close to a VPP. Not to hijack the thread, but putting a CCDB on any bike is a plus. However, when you put it on a single-pivot bike the effect is more pronounced than on multi-pivot bikes.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    ...and that is just fine. There may be a few out there that know this, but if you bolt on a highly tuneable shock to the Heckler, specifically a Cane Creek Double Barrel (now the DB Air) it will perform as well as any multi-link bike out there. I had a CCDB on my old Heckler and it pedaled and handled all situation I threw it into better than any Specialized I pedaled and was pretty damn close to a VPP. Not to hijack the thread, but putting a CCDB on any bike is a plus. However, when you put it on a single-pivot bike the effect is more pronounced than on multi-pivot bikes.
    This. If you dial in the shock, a single-pivot can work very, very well while maintaining the simplicity, lightweight, and durability.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've ridden mine 6 or 7 times now and I love it. Went from a SC superlight (26'r) to the heckler and it has performed as advertised. You can feel the bigger wheels, but you don't feel further off the ground like a 29'r. I am digging 27.5 so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I demoed a bronson and a heckler back to back at downieville, if I was hard pressed to
    Highlight the differences it would be that the heckler felt a little plusher on the downs and the bronson felt firmer on the ups.
    I ended up buying a bronson, but would have been more then happy with the heckler.
    Both great bikes.