...is still one gear

Anyone have an 06 170mm marzocchi 66 on a Nomad?

After reading numerous posts following Interbike from people who demoed Nomads with a Fox VAN (Tscheezy and others), it seemed that there was a general consensus that a 160mm (a-c ~540) fork was really at the limit of the Nomads geometry and that the frame was more suited to a Pike. Recent posts (for example from TNC) suggest that the Nomad can easily handle more of a fork. Therefore I am interested in hearing from anyone who is currently running a 2006 (not 2005 - they are much higher) 170mm marzocchi 66 fork (a-c 555)...please give us a run-down...how does the 66/Nomad combo ride? Any info would be much appreciated.

Too Much Fun

Good job! I will soon!

Quote Originally Posted by onetothepowerofn
    After reading numerous posts following Interbike from people who demoed Nomads with a Fox VAN (Tscheezy and others), it seemed that there was a general consensus that a 160mm (a-c ~540) fork was really at the limit of the Nomads geometry and that the frame was more suited to a Pike. Recent posts (for example from TNC) suggest that the Nomad can easily handle more of a fork. Therefore I am interested in hearing from anyone who is currently running a 2006 (not 2005 - they are much higher) 170mm marzocchi 66 fork (a-c 555)...please give us a run-down...how does the 66/Nomad combo ride? Any info would be much appreciated.
    I just ordered a 66SL. I'm really looking forward to it. I went with the 66SL over my original first choice of a Talas36. I plan on running the 66SL at it's rated minimum of 150mm, but will likely set it up to 170 for shuttle runs etc. I'm also pretty certain I'm going to be running it as low as 130 some of the time as well. All of that is a matter of where the negative pressure is set, and technically you can run the thing with as little as 40mm.

From what I can tell from the #'s and from all the 66 chatter on the Turner board, if you set it to 150 your A-C will be 535. At the full 170 you should be at 555 or so.

I'm running a DHXair on the back and I think the 66SL should complement it well. I've run Marz products for years and years and really never had a dud fork. They service easily and their recent air products seem quite solid.

Fox... They're an unknown to me and I guess I kinda have a beef with an American company that doesn't make their products in the USA (rear shocks still are from what I understand, please correct me if I'm wrong) but still has the balls to charge MSRP more then half as much as my dam frame cost! On top of that the Talas36 seems to have developed a rep for losing travel and having wack seals. How much of that is mtbr.com conjecture is hard to say, but I will say that the Turner board sure raves about the SL and those folks seem to be putting it through it's paces.

What people seem to like about the 66SL are:
    1) Burly as hell. Super stiff.
    2) Plush, to the point that some say it nears Marz coil for velvet smoothness.
    3) Way, way adjustable. You can pump the thing so many ways for so many feels. Some don't like tweaking a fork, but I like having options to explore, and for an "everything bike" like a Nomad I say its great having the room to adjust it.
    4) Light weight for the burl and the travel.
    5) Its black, which is nicer then the shite brown of the Talas, and will play nicely against the bling of my polished beast.

Anyway, I should be riding a 66SL withing a coupla weeks max, so ride reports will flow freely soon enough.

- -benja- -

TNC
    noMAD man

You may find...

Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    I just ordered a 66SL. I'm really looking forward to it. I went with the 66SL over my original first choice of a Talas36. I plan on running the 66SL at it's rated minimum of 150mm, but will likely set it up to 170 for shuttle runs etc. I'm also pretty certain I'm going to be running it as low as 130 some of the time as well. All of that is a matter of where the negative pressure is set, and technically you can run the thing with as little as 40mm.

From what I can tell from the #'s and from all the 66 chatter on the Turner board, if you set it to 150 your A-C will be 535. At the full 170 you should be at 555 or so.

I'm running a DHXair on the back and I think the 66SL should complement it well. I've run Marz products for years and years and really never had a dud fork. They service easily and their recent air products seem quite solid.

Fox... They're an unknown to me and I guess I kinda have a beef with an American company that doesn't make their products in the USA (rear shocks still are from what I understand, please correct me if I'm wrong) but still has the balls to charge MSRP more then half as much as my dam frame cost! On top of that the Talas36 seems to have developed a rep for losing travel and having wack seals. How much of that is mtbr.com conjecture is hard to say, but I will say that the Turner board sure raves about the SL and those folks seem to be putting it through it's paces.

What people seem to like about the 66SL are:
    1) Burly as hell. Super stiff.
    2) Plush, to the point that some say it nears Marz coil for velvet smoothness.
    3) Way, way adjustable. You can pump the thing so many ways for so many feels. Some don't like tweaking a fork, but I like having options to explore, and for an "everything bike" like a Nomad I say its great having the room to adjust it.
    4) Light weight for the burl and the travel.
    5) Its black, which is nicer then the shite brown of the Talas, and will play nicely against the bling of my polished beast.

Anyway, I should be riding a 66SL withing a coupla weeks max, so ride reports will flow freely soon enough.

that you'll like it at 160mm or so even better on the Nomad. The Van 36 has been ideal on my Nomad, but I've recommended the 66SL just as well. I'm convinced that the Nomad needs a bit over 6" for optimum BB clearance and headangle, but maybe that's just me.

All Mt, DH
    I installed a VAN36 RC2 on my Nomad last night. Will test ride tonight and give feedback soon. I did have a TALAS 36 RC2 on the Nomad before, but decided to go with the VAN.
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8

All Mt, DH
    Also one of my mates if getting his fork resprayed in Camo (similar to the Manitou Sherman) so at least 2 of us here with Brown 36's are waiting with interest to see the outcome.... its being done by a motorcycle airbrush pro (90 USD for the fork spray)...will see... due back tommorrow.
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8