mtbr member

Anyone get their Bronson yet?

I ordered mine the first week, just curious if anyone has one yet?

Warrior's Society
    Local shop around here has already recieved a couple of them last week.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Ordered my BronsonC SPXAM April 2nd.
    i'm told it shouldn't be much longer.
    I'm in Phoenix,AZ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Local shop around here has already recieved a couple of them last week.
    where is "around here"
    Last edited by flyinmike; 04-23-2013 at 09:47 AM.

mtbr member
    I ordered mine on April 5th, also in Phoenix.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ordered mine not last Friday but the Friday before and I was riding it last Wednesday. Took it to Sea Otter last Friday.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Biker's Edge in Utah has a bunch in stock

GMM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdsdad View Post
    Ordered mine not last Friday but the Friday before and I was riding it last Wednesday. Took it to Sea Otter last Friday.
    Impressions?

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinmike View Post
    where is "around here"

So. Cal.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I picked mine up Friday night. Im also in Phoenix, AZ area. I got the xt carbon build in medium. First ride was Saturday. Took it straight up National. Second ride was Javalina trail this am. So far I can tell you the 2.4 tires that came on in are already in the trash. 1100 grams each. No way could I spin those. They ve been replaced with Maxxis cross max 2.1 which not only are half the weight but roll way better. Replaced bars with carbon Enves and I'm waiting on a Kore 50mm stem to replace 70mm that came with bike.
    Riding impressions so far are the bike is not as fast on the flats as my carbon tallboy was. However everywhere else it's really good. I think it climbs really good and on the descents it's in a league of its own. I never really felt comfortable on my tallboy in the chunky/downhill sections we have in our area. Charles Bronson has exceeded my expectations already in that type of riding. I can only hope spending more time on it that it could only get better. Hope you others get yours soon.
    Last edited by Bronsondude; 04-23-2013 at 12:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks Bronsondude - what kind of tires did it come with? I thought it was speced with high roller 2's?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronsondude View Post
    I picked mine up Friday night. Im also in Phoenix, AZ area. I got the xt carbon build in medium. First ride was Saturday. Took it straight up National. Second ride was Javalina trail this am. So far I can tell you the 2.4 tires that came on in are already in the trash. 1100 grams each. No way could I spin those. They ve been replaced with Maxxis cross max 2.1 which not only are half the weight but roll way better. Replaced bars with carbon Enves and I'm waiting on a Kore 50mm stem to replace 70mm that came with bike.
    Riding impressions so far are the bike is not as fast on the flats as my carbon tallboy was. However everywhere else it's really good. I think it climbs really good and on the descents it's in a league of its own. I never really felt comfortable on my tallboy in the chunky/downhill sections we have in our area. Charles Bronson has exceeded my expectations already in that type of riding. I can only hope spending more time on it that it could only get better. Hope you others get yours soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Mark194 View Post
    Thanks Bronsondude - what kind of tires did it come with? I thought it was speced with high roller 2's?
    Yes. It came with high roller 2.4s. I'm definitely not a fan. I'm sure they re a good downhill/shuttle tire. I ride more all mountain style trails and need a tire with a little more roll to it.

LCW
    mtbr member
    would you say the High Roller 2's roll worse than the original High Rollers ?

EVIL Following

Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    would you say the High Roller 2's roll worse than the original High Rollers ?
    Sorry. This is my first experience with this particular tire. I ve purchased Nevigals, ardents, and crossmarks to try. I wish Specialized made the fasttracks in 27.5. I think those in a 2.3 would really work good for where I ride.

mtbr member
    There are two Bronsons at my favorite shop just up the hill from Santa Cruz. If only I had $6k to drop on a bike. My truck isn't even worth that much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Picking mine up from Steed in Vancouver tomorrow!

mtbr member
    word is I should have mine by this friday
    too bad I can't make the trip up to Prescott for the Whiskey and a proper christening
    I figured the High Rollers would be a bit overkill for most of the stuff around Phoenix
    Let me know how the Crossmark's work out.. if they have decent roll combined with good edges they could really be a good choice
    Congrats on the new bike

cranktankerous Mainer
    I ordered an aluminum spx2x10am on 4/1, LBS said it should ship out by end of May.

There is a shop up Maine that has a few Bronson C's... but my LBS is pissed they didn't know about the bike release ahead of time... in fact, it was I, the customer, who informed them back in March, gave the LBS details and put money down on a bike that theoretically didn't exist yet.
    Been there, done that... don't remember it.
    Tallboy LTc & Bronson

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Yep...and it doesn't suck.

mtbr member
    I went from Minion 2.5 EXO singly plys front and rear to swapping out the rear minion for a HRII 2.4 and it was the heaviest slowest rollling/climbing tire I ever felt in my entire riding career lol. It likely rolls very fast when pointed downhill/gravity assisted. but when on flat or climbing the thing is a slug. Huge gaps between the center treads. If you're a strong rider and don't care go for it but for trail riding they seemed ridiculous. This was the 26" version on my Mojo HD. Tire weighed in at 940 grams or so. The minion 2.5 was about 850 grams and isn't the fastest tire in the world but not nearly as bad. I also run a wtb weirwolf 2.3 tcs which weighs 920 grams but is fast as hell even with the weight.

mtbr member
    Hey Flyinmike -

What shop did you get yours from? I ordered mu=ine form Sunday Cucles on 4/5.

Thanks
    Mark

Ordered my BronsonC SPXAM April 2nd.
    i'm told it shouldn't be much longer.
    I'm in Phoenix,AZ

mtbr member
    Mark
    I got mine from Super Joe Berman @ Sunday Cycles
    that beautiful brown box just arrived today so yours should be very soon.
    I got lucky that it came today as everyone will be scrambling to get ready for the Whisky tomorrow
    Anyone get their Bronson yet?-photo.jpg

Hey Flyinmike -

What shop did you get yours from? I ordered mu=ine form Sunday Cucles on 4/5.

Thanks
    Mark

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Mark
    I got mine from Super Joe Berman @ Sunday Cycles
    that beautiful brown box just arrived today so yours should be very soon.
    I got lucky that it came today as everyone will be scrambling to get ready for the Whisky tomorrow
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	1252 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	793472
    That's same build and color I got. congrats. Enjoy it. Super solid bike.

mtbr member
    Nice! I talked to Joe today and he said the end of May. I went with M BLK carbon XT build.

Congrats!

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    its here. will pick it up from the shop tomorrow and have it in time for the 4th/5th weekend.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Very cool rox. Pictures as fast as you can please!! I ordered mine on the 5th and I hope it ships on the 1st of May. Fingers crossed
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    Can one presently buy an aluminum frame only, or is that a pipe dream for a few months down the line?
    I think that all depends on your shop. I believe that they are currently selling complete bikes, but it can't hurt to call SC directly and find out.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    The shop manager at my LBS just got his (matte black/orange) this morning.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Its home now but I wont have time to work on it until monday. I think there were some questions on the parts spec so: 2.4 highroller 2s with tubes, 125mm stealth reverb, 70mm 5 degree (cheapo) stem. going to order a 150 reverb or lev and sell the 125

mtbr member

Large coming in at 5.9lbs.

mtbr member
    Have a large carbon in yellow coming my way. Hope to have it by the end of next week. Really looking forward to getting this bike.

b a n n e d
    You know whats going to look tits . . . a yellow bronson with blue CK bits . . . headset, hubs, BB. Another color I think would be black (duh). Or if you're really baller, purple. Still think Blue is going to be the best.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    did you have a tallboy or tallboy ltc?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack69 View Post
    did you have a tallboy or tallboy ltc?
    Tallboy w a 34. Tallboy Lt is too steep for my liking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bajaguy View Post

Large coming in at 5.9lbs.
    What's up with that Mojo hd?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by gunt pimp View Post
    What's up with that Mojo hd?
    It's obsolete!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    It's obsolete!
    The heck it is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

I ordered mine a couple weeks ago n my LBS n SC say mid to late June. Wtf I hate everyone that has theirs already or getting it soon.

mtbr member
    It's obsolete!
    I love my HD but after almost 3 years on it I wanted to try something different. Finished building it up yesterday. Running it as a 26 incher right now till I decide whether or not to go 650B on it. Put 20 miles on it today and the bike rips up and down. Build came in at a 28.5lbs.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am really disappointed with the parts spec on this bike. It has kind of damped all my enthusiasm for the new ride. the rear axle has a cheap plastic lever, the high rollers are way too loose to set up tubeless, the stem is a heavy ugly piece of crap, and its the same crappy dt hubs with 18 points of engagement that sc has been using for 5 years

mtbr member
    I love my HD but after almost 3 years on it I wanted to try something different. Finished building it up yesterday. Running it as a 26 incher right now till I decide whether or not to go 650B on it. Put 20 miles on it today and the bike rips up and down. Build came in at a 28.5lbs.

Looks great, will be interested to hear your feedback vs. the HD. Did I understand correctly that you are running the Bronson as a 26?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Looks great with the 36 FOX 26"

Could you please measure the BB height with this setup (36 FOX and 26" wheels)?
    Thanks

I guess something about 333 - 335mm, very close to my Blur TRc (333mm).

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Is it just me, or is the cable stop for the front derailleur about 2 inches higher than it needs to be for good cable routing and compared to all my other sc bikes.

mtbr member
    BB height is right at 13.4 and that's with a -1.5 headset. WB is right under 46. Stock geo on a Bronson with a FOX 34 650B fork is based on a 544 A2C which is what a FOX 36 160 is pretty much at 545. Im running a big 2.4 Purgatory up front also. I'll also just say I have had time on a Bronson 650b and a Burner 650B and really wasn't blown away with any advantages of the 650B vs. a 26" bike.

Real quick first impressions over the HD is that the HD is defenitely a stiffer bike and is a firmer pedaler which is no surprise. The lighter Bronson makes my HD feel like a pig. I easily have an extra gear on my normal climbs. The bike is a little more active on climbs but it doesn't make me any slower. Downhill the low BB is a blastt which is exactly what I was looking for. The WB is longer on the Bronson vs. the HD also. Body position on the Bronson is the biggest thing I think I have to get use to. I sit right on the middle of the bike vs. the HD where I sat a little farther back. I think this how Santa Cruz builds their bikes. Overall I think I found my perfect bike. Oh and I am diggin the Reverb 150mm stealth.

mtbr member
    ^ Your bike looks sick! I'm envious! Interested to hear what differences you notice when/if you go to 650b. I have a Carbine arriving, 26" for now. Just wondering if I should make the change?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    thanks bajaguy

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Bicycle Outfitters in Grand Junction CO has a bunch of carbons in stock. I picked up my alloy complete on Friday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Just called them. No XLs! Grrrr still waiting for my XL. I hate every single one of you that's riding the Bronson

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I got it put together. 31.1lbs. I think the portly number is due to the crappy tires that have tubes in them because the HR2 isnt tubeless ready. first ride planned for wednesday

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eddjmemg View Post
    Just called them. No XLs! Grrrr still waiting for my XL. I hate every single one of you that's riding the Bronson
    Airpark Bikes in Scottsdale, AZ has an XL right now. Your welcome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhls View Post
    Airpark Bikes in Scottsdale, AZ has an XL right now. Your welcome.
    Tried calling a few times. Wasn't being a stalker you just gave me info that I really liked. Lol

In case you haven't seen pinkbike just put a new review of the Bronson.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/First-R...0B-Ripper.html

mtbr member
    Looking for a tennis ball Large, see any at your LBS?

mtbr member
    I can't be waitin' around for a Saturday delivery. Heading out to Fedex to pick up my Bronson.

mtbr member
    Ordered mine on 4/5, still waiting, hope it comes in soon

cranktankerous Mainer

ordered 4/1, and its at my LBS in NH 5/6! Once again, outstanding job to everyone at SCB!
    Anyone get their Bronson yet?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367880011.202864.jpg
    Tallboy LTc & Bronson

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Nice bike!!! Whats with the looping cable? From the shop that way??
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven View Post
    Nice bike!!! Whats with the looping cable? From the shop that way??
    Looks like its for the stealth reverb. They probably leave it long until you get the final height set, at which point you can then trim it back.

mtbr member
    That's something I never thought about. How do you pull your seatpost with stealth routing?
    You have to unclamp the lever I guess?

cranktankerous Mainer

Yeah, I haven't seen the bike in person yet to get it dialed in, but I told my shop that I wanted to be able to remove the post so I could pack it in my travel case. Now that I've seen the routing of reverb hose, I don't know why I could't just unclamp switch from bar, cut zip ties and slide it though so I can take out the post out.
    Last edited by Toddski; 05-07-2013 at 06:49 AM.
    Tallboy LTc & Bronson

mtbr member
    Looks like its for the stealth reverb. They probably leave it long until you get the final height set, at which point you can then trim it back.
    Yep... mine came with a bunch of extra hose.
    Post not installed.
    cut to fit, used a new collar and reattached.. no bleed was needed
    I would of rather had 150mm then the 125mm travel option
    and the remote is a little bulky to fit in with the shifter and brake lever
    I upgraded to the i-spec shifter covers that mount directly to the brake levers
    more inboard-outboard adjustment for shifter position and cleans up the bars a little
    All in all the Reverb works pretty well. I like it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddski View Post
    Yeah, I haven't seen the bike in person yet to get it dialed in, but I told my shop that I wanted to be able to remove the post so I could pack it in my travel case. Now that I've seen the routing of reverb hose, I don't know why I could't just unclamp switch from bar, cut zip ties and slide it though so I can take out the post out.
    it's a hydraulic hose so you have to disconnect the hose and cut a little off of it for a clean install and use a new collar
    you can probably get 4 or 5 disassemblies if your careful without bleeding.
    they make a quick disconnect as an option but it would not fit thru the hole on the seat-tube
    Last edited by flyinmike; 05-07-2013 at 01:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Anyone get their Bronson yet?-rockshox-connectamajig-hydraulic-hose-connector.jpg
    I found this pic of the SRAM "connectamajig" quick disconnect
    maybe it will fit thru the small hole on the front of the seat tube
    Connectamajig RockShox | Rockshox | SRAM

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    [QUOTE=flyinmike;
    [/QUOTE]

it does
    here we go again

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rockshox-connectamajig-hydraulic-hose-connector.jpg 
Views:	1666 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	797051
    I found this pic of the SRAM "connectamajig" quick disconnect
    Connectamajig RockShox | Rockshox | SRAM
    Quote Originally Posted by eleven-yo View Post
    it does
    How much length does it add to the bottom of the post?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    its about the same as the non easily removable coupling
    here we go again

mtbr member
    Just got my bike last night, getting ready to take it out for a ride

mtbr member
    Just got my bike last night, getting ready to take it out for a ride
    Sweet..
    Pics please

mtbr member
    I only got a short ride on it, but the bike is awsome! I am coming off a Trek Superfly 100 DS, and am loving having some suspension!!
    /Users/mark9494/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Masters/2013/05/12/20130512-091918/IMG_1068.JPG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone get their Bronson yet?-img_1068.jpg  

Last edited by Mark194; 05-12-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Illuminati
    Hi All
    at 5ft 10in I fall between medium & large frame sizes. could anyone with either medium or large do me a favour please & measure the straight line distance from the centre of the headtube to the centre of the seattube?

I know the website states 23inch for the medium & 24inch for the large, but it doesnt show where they take those measurements from (or at least I cant see it..)

mtbr member

First Ride

Here she is...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone get their Bronson yet?-img_1068.jpg  

mtbr member
    Med - middle of head tube to the middle of the seat tube 22 3/8.

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The man in the brown truck just stopped by. For those that care, the "bottom of the barrel" carbon Bronson weighs 29lbs 10oz (according to my stupidly finicky Park scale). It felt heavier lifting it onto the scale but that is probably because I was hoisting boulders all of Saturday morning while rebuilding some trails... my arms are like jello still.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm going to visit my friends in New York end of this month , do I have any chance to find a shop which has in stock BronsonC in size M with XT set ?
    Any recommendations?
    2016 YT Jeffsy 29 Cf Comp 2
    2015 YT Capra Pro Race LE
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er

Illuminati
    Med - middle of head tube to the middle of the seat tube 22 3/8.
    cool, thanks for info. I think I'll be better off with a large.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Nice looking bikes! I am planning to put some $ down for an SPX am carbon. I was wondering what are you guys paying for your bronson?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Look on SC website. C's are going for $4k+.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Quote Originally Posted by D_K View Post
    The man in the brown truck just stopped by. For those that care, the "bottom of the barrel" carbon Bronson weighs 29lbs 10oz (according to my stupidly finicky Park scale). It felt heavier lifting it onto the scale but that is probably because I was hoisting boulders all of Saturday morning while rebuilding some trails... my arms are like jello still.
    Great weight!! My top of the food chain came in at 28.11. Anyone get their Bronson yet?-image.jpgAnyone get their Bronson yet?-image.jpg
    Wonder why the weight is so close?
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven View Post
    Great weight!! My top of the food chain came in at 28.11. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	809573Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	809574
    Wonder why the weight is so close?
    The triple-ring crankset certainly isn't helping anything and neither are those tires. I bet running a 1x or 2x setup plus better tires would shed at least a pound if not more. I think a 27lb bronson is very realistic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The triple-ring crankset certainly isn't helping anything and neither are those tires. I bet running a 1x or 2x setup plus better tires would shed at least a pound if not more. I think a 27lb bronson is very realistic.
    My large Bronson C weighs a few hairs under 27 pounds. XX-1, enve wheels, 2.3 tubeless HR II's, reverb, xtr brakes, etc. And yes that includes pedals (xtr). Totally stock except I did remove the chainguide that comes with the kit.

I wouldn't change a thing. I could lose more weight by getting lighter tires and ditching the dropper post, but that ain't me.

(I wouldn't normally know bike weight but I was at a friend's shop and one of the guys threw it on a scale. Can't vouch for accuracy but should be pretty close.)

mtbr member

Ride or Die!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    How did he get a white Bronson?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by CasinoKiD View Post
    Total guess here . . . . he ordered it?

Edit: Waaaaait a minute . . . you're right! That's gotta be a custom paint job. Probably ordered with Matte and had it powder coated.

mtbr member
    not sure
    Last edited by Yody; 06-21-2013 at 10:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You can't powder coat carbon...

mtbr member
    it doesn't have any of the Bronson labeling either.

mtbr member
    You can paint carbon though, just not powder coat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I think it is a prototype. Seb Kemp had a White one in the late Winter early Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by CasinoKiD View Post

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Mine is now sitting at about 27.5lbs thanks to converting it to a 2x, adding an XT cassette, and going tubeless with a set of NNs. But mine also doesn't have a dropper post.

Ride or Die!
    Anyone know when the next shipment of Bronson C's are coming in? I currently have one on order and I'm starting to get the itch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwdrums00 View Post
    You can't powder coat carbon...
    There are people who are doing it successfully via different process.

Rides a Bike
    I received a Large matte carbon frame from the Aussie distributor the other day and have designed a frame protection kit for it.
    It's come up rather well, the matte film on matte frame is a good match.
    The frame is not for me, but now i've seen one up close, it's got me thinking...

Anyone get their Bronson yet?-2013_santa_cruz_bronson_4.jpgAnyone get their Bronson yet?-2013_santa_cruz_bronson_10.jpgAnyone get their Bronson yet?-2013_santa_cruz_bronson_13.jpgAnyone get their Bronson yet?-2013_santa_cruz_bronson_15.jpgAnyone get their Bronson yet?-2013_santa_cruz_bronson_16.jpgAnyone get their Bronson yet?-2013_santa_cruz_bronson_18.jpgAnyone get their Bronson yet?-2013_santa_cruz_bronson_5.jpgAnyone get their Bronson yet?-2013_santa_cruz_bronson_23.jpgAnyone get their Bronson yet?-2013_santa_cruz_bronson_24.jpgAnyone get their Bronson yet?-2013_santa_cruz_bronson_22.jpg
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by fishboy2807 View Post
    I received a Large matte carbon frame from the Aussie distributor the other day and have designed a frame protection kit for it.
    It's come up rather well, the matte film on matte frame is a good match.
    The frame is not for me, but now i've seen one up close, it's got me thinking...
    Hands off Al, that one's for me!

Rides a Bike
    It won't fit me... so lucky you!
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Wow, fishboy, that looks fantastic! About how much weight would you say the kit adds?

Rides a Bike
    The weight of all the decals for the Frameskin kit for Santa Cruz Bronson is 45 grams (ultra matte film).

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Wow, fishboy, that looks fantastic! About how much weight would you say the kit adds?
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com

Ride or Die!
    Anyone have a coupon code I can use for the Frameskin site

mtbr member

BB height is right at 13.4 and that's with a -1.5 headset. WB is right under 46. Stock geo on a Bronson with a FOX 34 650B fork is based on a 544 A2C which is what a FOX 36 160 is pretty much at 545. Im running a big 2.4 Purgatory up front also. I'll also just say I have had time on a Bronson 650b and a Burner 650B and really wasn't blown away with any advantages of the 650B vs. a 26" bike.
    Hey bajaguy, how's the 26 inch Bronson going now that you've had it for a while in that format?