mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Any six foot one or two riders on an XL Superlight?

I'm trying to figure out -- in the dumbest way, i.e., without trying the bike -- if I as a 6 foot 1, 34 inseam guy can realistically fit on an XL Superlight, 2011 model.

I've got a line on a great deal for a frame.

My current hardtail ride has a 24 inch TT, and my other ride is an older Gary Fisher with a 24.7 TT. I've got around a 90-100mm stem on each of these bikes. Both are fine fits.

I ride predominately for fitness: climbs, and long rides, on singletrack and gravel/dirt trails.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    If it helps, I'm 5'-11.5", wear a 32 pant inseam and a Large fits very nicely.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hey there, that DOES help.

I'm taller than you, and freaking out that an XL will be too big for me (I have a good deal lined for an XL through an acquaintance).

As mentioned, my inseam is 34 and I have long arms. But I know that most tall-ish guys in my height group (6 to 6 foot 2) prefer an L to an XL. But I hope I'll be able to make it fit well -- say with a short stem -- without it affecting or compromising the ride.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cdnb28
    If it helps, I'm 5'-11.5", wear a 32 pant inseam and a Large fits very nicely.

I'm the exact same size and riding a large SL as well. Perfect fit.

OP, I don't think you'll have an issue riding an XL.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    6'2", 34in inseam, freakishly long arms: I ride an XL Heckler with a 90mm stem, and an XL Nomad with either a 50mm or 80mm stem. XL is perfect for me. I've thrown a leg over friends' L Nomad and was not happy with the cramped feel. There seems to be a lot of leeway in choosing stem length to adjust the fit without spoiling the handling characteristics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by knotyetdead
    6'2", 34in inseam, freakishly long arms: I ride an XL Heckler with a 90mm stem, and an XL Nomad with either a 50mm or 80mm stem. XL is perfect for me. I've thrown a leg over friends' L Nomad and was not happy with the cramped feel. There seems to be a lot of leeway in choosing stem length to adjust the fit without spoiling the handling characteristics.
    Great, very useful information. The reason I like this, is that YOU are slightly bigger/taller than me, but ride an XL ... in bikes that are actually bigger than the Superlight.

Yes, it's my big fear: that the handling characteristics of a great design will be compromised, when I attempt to 'shrink' the cockpit to fit me. But I think I'll be okay. Or rather, I hope so.