mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Any cace SC wil make a 100mm travel 650b bike?

Is there any chance that Santa Cruz will make a 100mm 650b bike?
    Like a 650b Blur XC?
    I am not into conversions so don't offer that as a solution.
    I am considering either a Solo or a TBc, but I would like to know if a dedicated 100mm 650b XC bike is in the works.

mtbr member
    I would bet money on it. Fox has a full complement of 100 & 120mm 27.5/650B forks for 2014, which is exactly what a new XC race bike would use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsie_cat View Post
    I am considering either a Solo or a TBc, but I would like to know if a dedicated 100mm 650b XC bike is in the works.
    SC has released all their new bikes for this year so it kind of depends what your timeframe is? Can you wait until this time next year or do you need a bike in the next 6 months?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I'm betting against it. Sc has proven itself quick to react to market changes. The market for a 650b race bike is crap, which is why they attacked the "650b trail and enduro segment". 29ers are not going anywhere(for now, or at least 2 years) and will continue to dominate XC races. The new Blur XCc is the tallboy.

Edit: Want a 650b xc race bike? Go to Giant, they're all in.
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Just buy a Solo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightofthefleming View Post
    I'm betting against it. Sc has proven itself quick to react to market changes. The market for a 650b race bike is crap, which is why they attacked the "650b trail and enduro segment". 29ers are not going anywhere(for now, or at least 2 years) and will continue to dominate XC races. The new Blur XCc is the tallboy.
    Interesting point... Another aspect of it is that SC doesn't have a full suspension 29er XC race bike. I know people love the Highball C, and for good reason, but if you think they won't do a 650B/27.5 XC FS bike, maybe it will be a 29er.

EDIT: seems like such a bike would have big overlap with a Tallboy Carbon, though. My brain did not have an adequate amount of caffeine this morning.
    Last edited by ColinL; 08-09-2013 at 09:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Interesting point... Another aspect of it is that SC doesn't have a full suspension 29er XC race bike. I know people love the Highball C, and for good reason, but if you think they won't do a 650B/27.5 XC FS bike, maybe it will be a 29er.

EDIT: seems like such a bike would have big overlap with a Tallboy Carbon, though. My brain did not have an adequate amount of caffeine this morning.
    Colin, any chance you like to make another eight-month-later edit?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TamaraS View Post
    Colin, any chance you like to make another eight-month-later edit?
    I don't think there's a market for a 4" 650B bike. 120mm is the least that makes sense.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I don't think there's a market for a 4" 650B bike. 120mm is the least that makes sense.
    I would disagree. There is a large section of the market that doesn't need a full 120mm of travel or the added weight that it brings. The trend has been moving towards a more is better, in regards to wheel size, travel and (in some instances) slacker angles. The intro of the 27.5 was the first backing off from that trend that I've seen. Understanding that I am, at 5'2", in the minority with my height (but not strength--my other passion is climbing), small changes toward anything "bigger" means smaller riders have to work proportionally much harder than taller folks to wield a bike over obstacles, though the air and up hills. More is not necessarily better for everyone.
    Trends are also showing that women are one of the fastest growing sectors of the bicycling marketplace. There's definitely been success with some companies designing a ground-up frame around smaller and/or female riders.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TamaraS View Post
    I would disagree. There is a large section of the market that doesn't need a full 120mm of travel or the added weight that it brings. The trend has been moving towards a more is better, in regards to wheel size, travel and (in some instances) slacker angles. The intro of the 27.5 was the first backing off from that trend that I've seen. Understanding that I am, at 5'2", in the minority with my height (but not strength--my other passion is climbing), small changes toward anything "bigger" means smaller riders have to work proportionally much harder than taller folks to wield a bike over obstacles, though the air and up hills. More is not necessarily better for everyone.
    Trends are also showing that women are one of the fastest growing sectors of the bicycling marketplace. There's definitely been success with some companies designing a ground-up frame around smaller and/or female riders.
    20mm of travel does not add an appreciable amount of weight. There's ~0.25 lb difference between the Solo and Bronson, and I doubt they would go to a less substantial lay up. My sense is that the difference in 100 vs. 120 isn't that big in terms of bike fit, and where you might have 100mm in 29, you could likely fit 120mm while keeping the same overall geometry and feel.

I'm curious what about the Solo doesn't do it for you? Do you have fit problems on it? I think the Juliana line is worth of mockery as "women's specific" when it's just different components on repainted frames. I commend brands like Giant for actually redesigning their frames rather than just rebranding them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I think SC will be releasing a bunch of bikes again this year, the Nomad is a certainty.

But the other two might be a 100mm FS 650B bike - which would be very good. So the OPs request will come true. I wouldn't under-estimate a 100mm 27.5 FS carbon bike, pretty quick out of the box (or the switch back, or up the hill) I would say. Secondly, over the 29er, the chain stay can shrink again. Nimble with zip.

The other guess would be a Highball in 650B.

That leaves a couple more guesses - SC always makes April exciting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It's not overlapping with a tallboy. Big wheels are more stable and hold momentum, great for people who's brains developed before they started riding (started riding after 20yo). Others grew up on BMX/mtb - riding is just more intuitive and they appreciate a more nimble ride.

You should ride the wheel that inspires confidence in you. Both have a place.
    PM me for a great price on a pike 150 27.5 as new condition, barely seen dirt!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    The other guess would be a Highball in 650B.

That leaves a couple more guesses - SC always makes April exciting.
    Oh yeah, that would be cool.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Warrior's Society
    I would imagine that soon the Highball C will start coming with swinging dropouts to run SS like the Al version.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    I would imagine that soon the Highball C will start coming with swinging dropouts to run SS like the Al version.
    I also think it makes sense for them to split the Highball in to 29 for the larger sizes and 650B for the smaller sizes, like the Yeti Arc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have feeling we will now be seeing more internal cable routing as they did on the new Nomad on more carbon bikes. What is nice is they have carbon tubes done in the tubes that make for simple trouble free installations and I'm sure you can't hear the cables rattling around when riding.

I sure hope they build a Tallboy that is between the current tallboy and the Tallboy LT. THis would be really nice to see.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Bring back the Blur 4x! Take all the great features of the new Nomad, shorter chainstays and seat tube, longer reach, 1x only, internal routing and a low BB and put it in a lighter, shorter travel format. Sure the 5010 can do that as well, but it would still be awesome!

mtbr member
    The Solo is a trail bike not XC. You could run a 120 mm fork on it though.