Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Am I mad

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Am I mad

I'm seriously thinking of buying a second Heckler, I have an 07 that I have two sets of forks shock wheels brakes etc... one set light weight XC/AM and the other heavy duty AM/Freeride
    I was thinking of having two built up one light one heavy, I have a 08 Chameleon that I have all my heavy bits on , which I would sell to help fund the Heckler.

I have a Large 07 would I be better getting a medium to build up heavy duty, I'm 5' 10" which is right on the cross over for sizes. The heavy duty will be used for more drops and jumps and fast stuff, where as the light one for more trails and climbs, lots of climbs in Wales.
    It usually takes me a couple of hours to swop parts around but it would be nice not to have to. Just have to convince the wife.

What do you think

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
    I would say you are on the right track with a med. At 5' 10" your fine.

I'm 6' and I had a 04 large for trail riding and I bought my boy a 04 med. with a 50mm stem. I can ride the med. with a 90mm stem for trail riding and with the 50mm stem it is very freeridable. I have played around with his bike plenty and it feels better as a playbike then the large.
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

mtbr member
    What about building up a Bullit with your heavy duty parts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigiB
    What about building up a Bullit with your heavy duty parts?
    I 2nd that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yes a Bullit would be another option, never really thought about the Bullit, about a 1.5lb more than the Heckler, do they handle as well as the Heckler

Freeriding Feline
    Convincing the wife may be a bit easier if you go with a "different" bike!
    Can you just hear it,"And what do you need two of the same bikes for?"
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

Underweight Rider
    I second the bullit, after 5 rides on my 08 heckler i kinda regreted i didnt go for the bullit instead. On paper the bullit has the same HA as the heckler...and a dual crown on a bullit is goddamn sexy

Ariolimax columbianus
    what size chameleon? how much?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    yeah man, why get the same thing twice when you can get something with similar travel and ability, but different...

Bullit, BLT2, Intense 5.5, Banshee Rune...

but perhaps you are a true heckler lover

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If I sell the Chameleon, it will be frame only and all the bits will go on my new frame,
    the frame is only 4-5 months old I'd keep it but the wife will kill me, I'd like to keep it its a large,

I'd really like a new Nomad but they are a lot more expensive .
    Last edited by jeffus; 10-03-2008 at 09:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hey Jeffus, trade me the Chameleon frame and $500 and i'll send you my 08 Bullit frame. It's red with 135 mm dropouts and DHX 3.0 coil shock. Never built up.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    I wont say your mad, Maybe you would be if you bought 7 one for every day of the week. Luckily my riding and riding style means my build at the moment covers all my riding XC-AM, listening to the others here makes a lot of sense, Heckler and Bullit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The problem I have is the guys and galls I ride with are super fast and when I have my Heckler built in the way I like it I can't keep up, they are all whippets, so my Heckler is around 28lb and I can just keep with them some of the ride, the way I like it built is around 34lb and they just leave me for dead and end up waiting for me, part of the reason I bought the Chameleon, is we do a lot of climbs and the hard tail is easier, but I'm having trouble with my back, no trouble riding the Heckler, I built both bikes identical, and are both large, maybe a Superlight built up around 26lb, for when I ride with the group and build my Heckler how I want it for riding on my own.
    Last edited by jeffus; 10-03-2008 at 11:14 AM.

Creepy tooth fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffus
    The problem I have is the guys and galls I ride with are super fast and when I have my Heckler built in the way I like it I can't keep up, they are all whippets, so my Heckler is around 28lb and I can just keep with them some of the ride, the way I like it built is around 34lb and they just leave me for dead and end up waiting for me, part of the reason I bought the Chameleon, is we do a lot of climbs and the hard tail is easier, but I'm having trouble with my back, no trouble riding the Heckler, I built both bikes identical, and are both large, maybe a Superlight built up around 26lb, for when I ride with the group and build my Heckler how I want it for riding on my own.
    What do the speed demons in yr group ride and are they smaller/bigger than you? Sounds like you are chasing the dragon to me. Ride what makes you comfortable and at the speed you like.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

Underweight Rider
    Well at least you go down waaaaaay faster than them

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    They all ride hardtail xc 22lb-25lb bikes except one who has a Kona Dawg and I'm 15 years older (46) than the next oldest, they go downhill seriously fast also , they are super fit , they ride road bikes on the days they are not mountain biking, I am also the heaviest 90kg which makes for good fun on the climbs. It can be really frustrating at times but I am riding quicker, I prefer to do more technical rides , with fast downhill mixed in and jumps and drops more AM than XC. The downhill is where I usually draw them back in if its really rocky and technical because the Heckler just loves that terrain :-)

Creepy tooth fairy
    They all ride hardtail xc 22lb-25lb bikes except one who has a Kona Dawg and I'm 15 years older (46) than the next oldest, they go downhill seriously fast also , they are super fit , they ride road bikes on the days they are not mountain biking, I am also the heaviest 90kg which makes for good fun on the climbs. It can be really frustrating at times but I am riding quicker, I prefer to do more technical rides , with fast downhill mixed in and jumps and drops more AM than XC. The downhill is where I usually draw them back in if its really rocky and technical because the Heckler just loves that terrain :-)
    Puh-leeeeez...eff them. I mean come on, a big "older" guy on a big bike versus "younger" little roadies on XC bikes is a match up you will not often win uphill or traversing. BFD. I only know a few big guys who can roost the XC crowd. Take them down the scariest stuff you can think of and laugh when they start crying. Laugh at yrself too for even worrying about it.

Yes, you are still mad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Thanks Hellbelly you made me smile,

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    youre not mad, but your wife might be....

anyway, I love my superlight, and it may not be a bad idea for you, and wife may be less may because come on, its a totally different bike (even though they look almost identical)...pretty easy to build it up 26 lbs (like mine) or lighter, and as long as you put the 120mm fork on there, you can bomb downhills. Yea, you lose a little bit of travel, but youre not getting rid of the Heckler, so you can still do crazy downhills when youre not riding with the 'in shape' crowd...

maybe i just think everyone should have a superlight to make the world a better place, but either way, you cant have too many bikes!!!

Creepy tooth fairy

Thanks Hellbelly you made me smile,

That is what I do for a living, believe it or not.

mtbr member
    It may just be the typical MACHO answer,
    but keep the following in mind:

Just get the same bike(or a Superlight, cause they look really close) and get it in A DIFFERENT COLOR. That might be the best reason/justification.

My girl rides a lot herself (mtb) and she also is totally cool with my biking obsession and all the money I spent on bikes. If I get a new frame, I just buy a funky and different color and she accepts it as a "new" bike. (which is okay because it is different)

Once I made the mistake and bought a black XC bike, after I had a black Freeride bike.
    She asked me why I sold the old and got the almost the same again

Greetings Znarf

KEEP ROLLING
    Quote Originally Posted by SC SUPALIGHT
    I 2nd that.
    I third that .. .

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Going to a price up a Bullit and a Superlight this week :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Still have the Bullit frame. 08, never built, much cheaper than a new frame. tgrace1@tampabay.rr.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks Roxie but I'm in the UK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast