...is still one gear

Alternative to DT Swiss RWS X-12 142mm axle

I received my new bronson carbon frame which has the 142mm dropouts for the 12mm axle. It came with DT Swiss RWS X-12 axle, which is kind of cool,

Alternative to DT Swiss RWS X-12 142mm axle-dt.jpg

...but the quick release arm sticks out a long way out from the frame and is prone to catching on things unless you face it backward - and I just don't like Quick Releases facing backward! As I don't really need the quick release function and have tools with me when I ride, I would be happy with an 8 or 10mm allen key to remove the axle. Has anyone seen anything like this in their travels?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've used these on a Tallboy LT and a Bronson C. Have a few friends that run the same on the same bikes. It's never been an issue through any terrain, as your feet/pedals stick out much further. From a function stand point, it works very well. I position it so the lever is between the seatstay and chainstay (similar to any other QR).

mtbr member
    Universal Cycles -- Syntace X-12 System Axle - 142 x 12mm

Saves 23g too, not to mention Syntace makes top notch products with the best strength to weight ratios of any company I know. Does have a funky flange at bolt side tho so not 100% sure it is compatible. Hopefully someone can chime in that has actually used it.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I dont believe the Syntace will work. It only works with a spec'd Syntace x12 rear end, if i understand correctly. The only thing i can think of that is sans quick release is:Thru-Axles and Q.R. : THRU-AXLES

*edit* It is possible that it could work, but I'm not 100% certain, I have been looking for a similar product for a solo build.

I had a friend have a problem with a syntace x-12 rear end, and nothing else would fit properly while he waited for the replacement.

mtbr member
    Having spent considerable time researching 12mm axles, I can assure you that Santa Cruz and Syntace are not compatible. Different thread pitches. We offer a line of aftermarket axle to adapt BOB trailers to 12mm axles, including Santa Cruz bikes.

mtbr member
    Good to know. So do you have a standard axle (not even sure what a BOB trailer is)? If so, how much and what's the material/weight?

Thanks,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Good to know. So do you have a standard axle (not even sure what a BOB trailer is)? If so, how much and what's the material/weight?

Thanks,

G
    Our Santa Cruz axle weighs 75 grams. 7075 Alum w/ Hard Ano

The Robert Axle Project Santa Cruz Bikes - The Robert Axle Project

Its designed to accept a BOB trailer, so there would be 1/2 of axle sticking out on the non-drive side of your frame, but no giant lever. The threaded rod that is designed to extend beyond the drive side of the frame could be removed (or left off is you special ordered from us that way) for a flush fit.

The Robert Axle Project
    The Robert Axle Project 12mm thru axle for your BOB Trailer for trail building and touring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Syntace X-12 does not work.
    I had one and tried it when I got my Solo.
    No go.

Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by onetothepowerofn View Post
    I just don't like Quick Releases facing backward!
    just curious, why dont you like them facing backwards? in my experience its the one position where it wont get knocked whilst riding... its also the most aerodynamic (joke!)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I was able to get mine facing forward.
    FWIW, the skewer serves a dual purpose. It will protect you frame from getting scraped up in that area.

...is still one gear
    Quote Originally Posted by scant View Post
    just curious, why dont you like them facing backwards? in my experience its the one position where it wont get knocked whilst riding... its also the most aerodynamic (joke!)
    You're right in that they won't get hung up when facing backwards, I just don't like the looks of it sitting out there in the middle of no where! To me it just doesn't look clean.