mtbr member
    May 2007

AJ's FrameGuard on Blur LT?

I was wondering if anyone has tried the AJ's Frameguard ( http://www.ajsbikeparts.com ) and if so, which model of the will fit on a Blur LT (FG1 or FG2?). I have a new bike coming soon and was thinking that I might just stop the chain from falling off the small chainring before it ever even happens.

Thanks for the help.

neutiquam erro
    Looks like total overkill to me for a BlurLT, but who knows.

Cheers, Chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I had a BLT for a while with a 3 ring setup, and now a Nomad with the same setup, and I've never once dropped the chain. Seems totally unnecessary to me.

TNC
    noMAD man
    I dropped the chain on my Nomad in very rocky fast terrain every once in awhile...irritating as hell. I put this simple homemade plate on mine...which is not too different from the one in your link...and I haven't dropped a chain since. I just got back from Moab, and there are places on Porc Rim that are very fast and extemely rocky...not one drop issue. Chain drop would be just as annoying on a BLT as a Nomad, so it will probably depend more on the terrain you'll be riding your BLT on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the help. Saved me $40.

nerfherder
    I gotta agree with TNC. I don't think it depends on the bike.... more on the terrain. If you ride really chattery rocky stuff then the AJs would be valuable to keep the chain in place. If you don't encounter terrain like then you don't need it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah, so I thought about it and am coming around to TNC's points as well. My chain gets knocked off my current hardtail all the time in the rocky areas, and it is annoying enough that I would like to have it never happen on my new bike.

So, back to the original question - anyone got any idea if those things will fit a Blur LT and maybe which model? I wrote AJ but have not heard back. Thanks!

Boyeeee
    You can get a Blackspire Stinger for ~$25 and it will do the same thing. I have one on my Blur 4x setup with a 2x9 drivetrain.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I heard back from AJ, who says that the FG2 will fit on a Blur LT. Just wanted to add that for anyone who searches this thread in the future.

neutiquam erro
    Quote Originally Posted by quiteslowly
    I heard back from AJ, who says that the FG2 will fit on a Blur LT. Just wanted to add that for anyone who searches this thread in the future.
    Cool. Please post up when you get it, and provide a quick review of what you think about it.

Cheers, chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by BCBlur
    You can get a Blackspire Stinger for ~$25 and it will do the same thing. I have one on my Blur 4x setup with a 2x9 drivetrain.
    I forgot about the Stinger! Good call. How's it working out? Any problems? Pics?

Boyeeee
    Pictures of the Stinger on my Blur 4x.

Sorry about the crappy garage pics of the dirty bike...
    Attached Images Attached Images

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by BCBlur
    Pictures of the Stinger on my Blur 4x.

Sorry about the crappy garage pics of the dirty bike...
    So, does it work as advertised? How rocky is your terrain?

Edit: Oh, and thanks for posting pics.

Boyeeee
    It works great. No dropped chains since the install. I rode the bike at Gooseberry Mesa and Moab for a few days in March and ride Noble Canyon with regularity with no issues at all.

The install is a little tricky. The Stinger is slightly wider than a standard BB spacer (not an issue if you have ICSG tabs). I had to replace a non-drive side spacer with a thinner one to compensate. I used a spare cassette spacer I had from my single speed parts bin. Additionally, the plate rubbed the chain in granny/granny. I bent the guide VERY slightly with a mallet to get rid of the rub.

Also, since it's a chainguide, there's a little bit of added drag. I don't notice it on the trail at all, but you can tell a difference on the stand.

It's cheaper than a DRS and seems to work well for "all-mountain"/trail-biking/general riding.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Looks identical to an MRP-LRP (Long Range Patrol). I actually had my LRP on my Nomad when I was dropping the chain occasionally which surprised me quite a bit. I've had LRPs on my Bullits and never dropped a chain with them. Yes...I know how to set up a proper chainline, so that wasn't the problem. I kinda attribute dropping the chain on the Nomad to being able to go through rocky terrain much faster...sounds like a VPP commercial, but I believe it to be a fact. I thought that removing my LRP on the Nomad and just going to the homemade plate would allow more chain whip at the cassette, and I'd get some cog swapping at the rear in harsh terrain. Oddly I didn't. I've really liked my LRPs, but I'm glad I get a little less drivetrain friction without chain dropping or rear cog slipping. An LRP or this Stinger will probably make a bigger difference on other bike designs...like my Bullits. I do get some cog swapping on a Bullit without the LRP in very rough terrain...must be the high forward pivot or something...plus I guess this also becomes more of an issue as travel increases, of course.

Boyeeee
    Interesting. Maybe I'm not having issues because of the relatively short travel frame (4.5" for the 4x).