Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 650B Santa Cruz

mtbr member

650B Santa Cruz

Well, I do not believe there is any 650b specific bike on the drawing table at Santa Cruz at the moment.
    I am just interested in Santa Cruz enthusiasts and riders opinion.
    Would you like to see a 650B option in SC line?
    If not, then why?
    If yes, then in which category? XC, AM, DH…

I know the 650B industry is slowly picking up with the upcoming availability of the parts. (Forks, wheels, tires…)
    I can also see that another wheel option will probably mean higher cost of production, since the market would split even more among the different wheel sizes.
    I am aware that SC was kind of late to the 29er party, so if the 650B goes mainstream in the next 1-3years, we might not see SC 650B bike very soon.

Warrior's Society
    Several of the current models can be run with 650b....maybe. Specific 650 bike is not needed.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The Blur TRC seems to be the favorite 650b conversion lately.

mtbr member
    Yes, I am aware of the TRC compatibility, but it still is a 26er which might limit the use of wider tires and it was design with 26er geometry in mind.
    I own a Tallboy C and like it.
    i have also test riden the new Tallboy TLc and really liked it a lot.
    I do prefer 29er wheels to 26er in most situations, but I am also 5'9 and could feel the limits of the 29er setup - specifically the Tallboy LT.
    I like to have the front at leaset at the same level with my seat (if not lower...) and there is a limit with 29er high front. This shouldnt be a problem for a taller rider.
    Another thing - stand over hight. These are all design issues which could be overcome only to certain point.
    That's why I am interested in 650Bs.

k^2
    Flamingo
    Dec 2007
    A Blur 650b is the next logical step for Santa Cruz. I would definitively consider buying one with XC setup. I am not too kin on a 29er. I have no clue what kind of a bike they have in mind for 2013. I read their official statement that they are not planning any 650 for 2013 BIG MISTAKE!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k^2 View Post
    I read their official statement that they are not planning any 650 for 2013 BIG MISTAKE!!
    Huge FAIL for SC!

It makes me so sad when I have to get off my 26er Nomad and walk sections of trail that my bike can't handle while guys on 650B rigs blast past me laughing at my shame...

I actually own a 650B bike and it's a wheel size worthy of consideration, but I don't think rushing in to jump on the bandwagon is a smart move. Let other companies build so-so 650B bikes. Learn from their mistakes and build a great SC 650B bike when the time is right. Then dominate for years...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I don't mean to be cheeky here but the TRc 650b isn't a new discovery.....been rocking one since Sept 2011.....anyway kudos for trying it....

TRc 650b made sense to me (as you mentioned BB height) after my illfated LTc 650b conversion that turned the LTc into high CoG pig.

TRcy it I say.....

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR

I put 650b wheels on my 2012 Aluminum LT on Friday. I rode it all weekend, here are my first impressions:

1. Higher BB is kind of a downer, might have to knock the fork down to 130mm. (26" Reynolds Carbon AM wheels with high-volume tubeless tires, 140mm White Brothers LOOP fork: 13.6" BB, 650b Stans Flow/DT wheels with Nevegal 2.35 front and unnamed rear 2.1: 14.1" BB). I wouldn't say it's a huge deal, but it is noticeable.

2. Carries speed a little better through semi-rough sections. Likewise, ledges seem a touch easier. The smallish rear tire rolls great, but is less than stellar in the gnar-gnar.

3. A little slower when sprinting, but the 650b wheels are obviously heavier than my carbon 26".

4. My standard gearing (1x10, 34t x 11-36t) felt a bit tougher - but maybe I just had an "off" weekend.

Need more time on them to decide if they're staying on. Not a clear advantage at this point. Tallboy LTc on the way anyway.....
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    SANTA CRUZ (Mike Ferrentino, whose comments were presumably vetted by suspension engineer Joe Graney, who is on the record as not looking forward to 650B): First, i do not entirely agree with (the premise that the industry is driving this). I think consumers are a big part of this interest bubble right now. According to francis at MTBR, “650b” is the second most popular search term on their site at the moment, and the 650b forum traffic is showing huge growth. It is valid to argue that the industry is at fault for even beginning to entertain the idea of 650b wheels, but consumers are clamoring right now for what they perceive to be the next better mousetrap. Another thing to consider – IF this takes off, does anyone realize how much crow the industry is going to have to eat listening to grant petersen saying “I told you so?”

Good article at bikerumor.com:
    What’s Driving the 650B Explosion? Interviews, Tech Breakdown & More! - Bike Rumor
    Last edited by jazzanova; 06-07-2012 at 12:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Huge FAIL for SC!

It makes me so sad when I have to get off my 26er Nomad and walk sections of trail that my bike can't handle while guys on 650B rigs blast past me laughing at my shame...
    I sure hope this is dripping with sarcasm.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

Got A Lust for Life...
    I think it is a big mistake if they do not make 650b their next bike. The wheel size rocks. A 650b LT, with the correct BB height, geo, etc would certainly kill it.

Problem is, just like with 29" bikes, they have their head in the sand. They'll do it but look how f'n long it took them to come out with the Tallboy.

I do not buy Graney's BS outlook. He can do it and do it really well. Do it man!
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    IThey'll do it but look how f'n long it took them to come out with the Tallboy.
    And even though it took a while, the Tallboy was worth the wait I'd say. I'd like to see 650b sooner than later from SCB, but if and when we do see it, likely it'll be done right and lead the pack.

mtbr member
    I'll need a new Nomad in another 4-6yrs...hopefully SC will have a 650B version for me by then...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Currently I ride a TRc and a Chameleon with 140mm forks on both.
    Being a mere 5'6", I run a small TRc and medium Chameleon.
    29ers just do not work for me, I cannot get my position right to make it fun to ride.

I have no great desire to convert my TRc to 650b, but I can see how some do like it.

My preference would be for a cardon hardtail 650b with a nice slack HA to replace my Chamelon with.
    I know this is highly unlikely as 29ers seem to rule the roost in the hardtail world but that would be my preference.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    And even though it took a while, the Tallboy was worth the wait I'd say. I'd like to see 650b sooner than later from SCB, but if and when we do see it, likely it'll be done right and lead the pack.
    I agree with you that it will be done right. I hope it is done soon.

mtbr member
    Reynolds Carbon AM wheels with high-volume tubeless tires, 140mm White Brothers LOOP fork: 13.6" BB, 650b Stans Flow/DT wheels with Nevegal 2.35 front and unnamed rear 2.1
    Wow...carbon reynolds and unnamed rear tyres? interesting mix

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    reynolds stans white brothers nevegals is the deal killer for me.
    i'm happy to try 650b, but maybe in an enve fox maxxis kind of way.
    here we go again

mtbr member
    Intense is another manufacturer working on 650b...
    Well, looks like the first VPP 650b specific bike won't be a SC.

Posted by Sharples, who works at Intense:

"At Intense here in California, we built a Tracer 27.5, 137-150mm travel, we refined it, and built a couple more, I love the bike.
    We have also tested a few carbon versions.
    The wheel size is fantastic. Increasing the wheel size from 26 has benefits and 'challenges'. The benefits are linear, the 'challenges' are exponential.
    Therefore, a 650 has benefits similar to a 29er but not as significant, with that said, the 'challenges' with a 650b are almost non-existent.
    You will be able to buy our 650b [27.5] bikes very soon. If I was told today, that I could only have one bike in the garage, it would be a 650b.
    But I wouldnt 'Jimmy Rig', a 26 inch bike. if you need to run a smaller tire to make it fit into your frame, you are defeating the purpose. The outside diameter is the key. A small tire makes for a small outside diameter. I know this is obvious to some of you, but I have heard of a few people making crazy compromises just to run a 650 rim...
    Sharples"

Got A Lust for Life...
    My Tallboy would be sold in a heartbeat...

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I"d rather see something between the nomad and V10c.

mtbr member
    No way to know for sure, but I can't imagine a scenario where SC isn't already goofing with and/or prototyping 650s. They weren't going to have a 29er until they had a 29er and it turned out to be bad ass out of the gate-- and then they took it to 11 with the LT.

If 650 has legs they'll make one and it'll be great. I'd buy a Nomad 650 instantly. INSTANTLY. Enough of my buddies are on 29ers that I know bigger wheels is the direction I'm going. I'm on my last 26er right now (even though I love it). The advantages outweigh the disadvantages to them and I witness that in practice twice a week. I've also witnessed how much faster they are on their 29ers.

If they don't make a 650 Nomad/Tallboy in the next year or two, a Tallboy LT will be the next bike in my garage. They've got me either way. They had me at "Nomad."

M-
    I'll be along... eventually.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    When do the 2013 models start hitting the showroom floors?

mtbr member
    I am sure SC is saying this as a 650b would immediately castrate and delegitimize their 26's (along with all the R & D money). They'll probably resist a 650 wheeled bike until they feel they've recouped enough revenue, on the newer carbon 26's, to justify the expense.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast