Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 650B Santa Cruz

mtbr member
    Anybody has inside info on the subject?
    How close is SC to release a 650b? Travel?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Anybody has inside info on the subject?
    How close is SC to release a 650b? Travel?
    All sorts of speculation out there . . . your guess is as good as anyone else.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBrady View Post
    Santa Cruz isn't gonna spend the money to make. 650b until they have to. Look how bad they re eating crow about the142 rear ends. I bet if you ask mouthy Mike he ll still say they don't need it. Whatever Mike. Everyone knows your full of sh-t at this point.
    Such BS. They are not eating crow about 142. There is zero difference between a qr 135 and a through 142 on a one piece swing arm. Zero. Now if you have a pivot near the drop out then it helps stiffen things up. The reason they switched is because ill informed people demanded they have it on their bikes. It was easier to cave and be the same as everyone else than to try and explain logic and physics. That said I like 142 on SC bikes because its cleaner and easier to use.

Oh and we will see a 650 VPP 5-6" bike from SC this year.
    “We couldn’t break it in test lab. Casing a jump? Forget it, the jump will break first!”

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberSideUp View Post
    There is zero difference between a qr 135 and a through 142 on a one piece swing arm. Zero.
    Although not the thread for this, I respectfully disagree about the TA vs. QR based on first-hand experience.

mtbr member
    You noticed a difference on a one piece swing arm? I haven't been able to especially on a carbon frame.
    “We couldn’t break it in test lab. Casing a jump? Forget it, the jump will break first!”

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberSideUp View Post
    You noticed a difference on a one piece swing arm? I haven't been able to especially on a carbon frame.
    On an AL Blur LT2, I went from a standard QR to a 10mm Thru-bolt (not even a 12mm) and noticed an immediate increase in lateral stiffness. With the QR, the frame would flex enough that the rotors would rub in hard cornering. This is no longer an issue with the thru-bolt. I can only imagine that the 12mm would be even better, though I doubt its significant over the 10mm.

On a carbon frame, I have no idea . . .

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    On an AL Blur LT2, I went from a standard QR to a 10mm Thru-bolt (not even a 12mm) and noticed an immediate increase in lateral stiffness. With the QR, the frame would flex enough that the rotors would rub in hard cornering. This is no longer an issue with the thru-bolt. I can only imagine that the 12mm would be even better, though I doubt its significant over the 10mm.

On a carbon frame, I have no idea . . .
    Likewise.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Well...shows you what I know. On my Nomad c I could tell no difference.

Never fear though. I'm certain the new 650 bike will have 142 spacing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I heard from a rep today that they are taking delivery on a VPP 650b bike. They will likely be prototypes but it's happening, tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Me as we'll 007. Maybe rubber side up is five foot two and one hundred and thirteen pounds. I however am not and I base my options specifically on personal experience. Or I gues if you ride an all mt bike on cross country trails. Again, I do not.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanM View Post
    I heard from a rep today that they are taking delivery on a VPP 650b bike. They will likely be prototypes but it's happening, tomorrow.
    A SALES rep? Or a Santa Cruz rep?

My gut tells me its a sales rep, and they are taking delivery of the Intense Carbine 275.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dopepedaler View Post
    I am sure SC is saying this as a 650b would immediately castrate and delegitimize their 26's (along with all the R & D money). They'll probably resist a 650 wheeled bike until they feel they've recouped enough revenue, on the newer carbon 26's, to justify the expense.
    The source is an independent sales rep for SC. The bike they are receiving is a 650B SC prototype that they are receiving at the SC headquarters. The first letter of the bikes name is B but I forget the full name. Just wanna say you heard it here first.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    A SALES rep? Or a Santa Cruz rep?

My gut tells me its a sales rep, and they are taking delivery of the Intense Carbine 275.
    The source is an independent sales rep for SC. The bike they are receiving is a 650B SC prototype that they are receiving at the SC headquarters. The first letter of the bikes name is B but I forget the full name. Just wanna say you heard it here first.

mtbr member
    The way SC R&Ds stuff it will probably be awhile and SC is tight lipped about it
    2014 Santa Cruz Solo c.
    2012 Spec Demo 8 red/blk/yeiiow

Dan@sidsbikes.com

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanM View Post
    Didn't hear it here first and I assure you, its more than just a prototype.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hell i herd from a friend in production at SC that there were already development bikes on the trail although i still take it with a grain of salt. Anyone have Roskopps cell number lets call and ask him straight from the horses mouth. I have his number around here somewhere from a job i did for him a year ago wish i could find it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My money is on the Blur TR in aluminum.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't be suprised if it was a replacement for the Blur LT
    2014 Santa Cruz Solo c.
    2012 Spec Demo 8 red/blk/yeiiow

Dan@sidsbikes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    Likewise.
    I don't want to highjack this excellent thread, but now I'm curious.

I'm curious as to whether or not the two of you who had the rotor rubbing were using Shimano QRs, and hubs with teeth at the end of the axle.

I know that when I was using a cheap QR skewer on a steel fork (because of the hardness of the steel, it took more clamping force to make the ends of the hub bite in), in hard corners the skewer and hub were moving in the dropout which was very noticeable whenever it happened. I think if this happened on the rear of a bike it would be less obvious but noticeable nonetheless.

I guess in my mind (I have no hard evidence) I have felt, word-for-word, just like RubberSideUp. That as long as your skewer clamps well enough to keep the faces of the hub static against the faces of the frame at all times, it was every bit as good as a small through axle. A large through axle clamped by the frame itself could be a different story but that isn't really the case with 142x12. And finally, it just makes sense that a Horst-link bike would put much more strain on this interface than a one-piece swing arm so the importance of a strong clamping force would be magnified greatly. Again, not the case on a VPP bike.

But if it makes a difference going from a Shimano skewer to a through bolt I may make the switch myself on my Tallboy.
    Last edited by Mutantclover; 01-25-2013 at 10:04 PM.

mtbr member

Is this it?

650b?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 650B Santa Cruz-379327_590165564331416_202058635_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    650b?
    Tricycles would be something "completely" different, yeah?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    or a 26er?
    Nobody makes new ones anymore...

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutantclover View Post
    I don't want to highjack this excellent thread, but now I'm curious.

I'm curious as to whether or not the two of you who had the rotor rubbing were using Shimano QRs, and hubs with teeth at the end of the axle.

I know that when I was using a cheap QR skewer on a steel fork (because of the hardness of the steel, it took more clamping force to make the ends of the hub bite in), in hard corners the skewer and hub were moving in the dropout which was very noticeable whenever it happened. I think if this happened on the rear of a bike it would be less obvious but noticeable nonetheless.

I guess in my mind (I have no hard evidence) I have felt, word-for-word, just like RubberSideUp. That as long as your skewer clamps well enough to keep the faces of the hub static against the faces of the frame at all times, it was every bit as good as a small through axle. A large through axle clamped by the frame itself could be a different story but that isn't really the case with 142x12. And finally, it just makes sense that a Horst-link bike would put much more strain on this interface than a one-piece swing arm so the importance of a strong clamping force would be magnified greatly. Again, not the case on a VPP bike.

But if it makes a difference going from a Shimano skewer to a through bolt I may make the switch myself on my Tallboy.
    I missed this before, but yes, I was using a Shimano QR with an XT rear hub, so we're not talking cheap parts. The QR was tightened such that adequate clamping force was achieved, however, it was nowhere near the clamp of the Thru-bolt (NOTE: There IS a difference between a thru-bolt and a thru-axle.) The 12x142 frames are a thru-AXLE. The Hadley 10x135 is a thru-BOLT.

I assure you, it made an immediately noticeable difference.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3